PDA

View Full Version : Go-No-go gauge?

johnatw
02-27-2012, 06:39 AM
I'm reloading both 40 S&W and 223 remington and wonder is there is such a thing. It would eliminate disassembling my CW 40 and getting out and handling my Savage rifle in my tight reloading area.
Thanks,
John

Tilos
02-27-2012, 07:32 AM
Yes, they have a step across the back as a visual reference of below this surface and above this surface, ie go-no-go.
A headspace gage for the 223 and a chamber gage for the 40

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/456614/le-wilson-case-length-headspace-gage-223-remington

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/276502/le-wilson-max-cartridge-gage-40-s-and-w

Read the reviews:)

Tilos

johnatw
02-27-2012, 07:49 AM
Thanks, just what I am looking for.
John

CJB
02-27-2012, 04:15 PM
I'm perplexed.

Why the gauge for the 40? Do you think your cases stretch all that much? They dont. Chances are you'll be ditching cases before you need to trim them.

For the .223... if you neck size, dont push back the shoulder, shoot in the same rifle, and they chamber... you're good.

Bawanna
02-27-2012, 04:44 PM
The chamber gauge on the 40 will only tell if the case if over length. It won't tell you if your bullet is set too far out to chamber. I used a 45 Chamber Gauge for my 45 and was perplexed when it wouldn't feed and function in my PM45. The case was good, the OAL was just a nano too long.

Now that I have the length I need I just use a micrometer for OAL. When I do a chamber check I just lock the slide back and drop it in and see if it comes back out easily. No need for the gauge.

johnatw
02-28-2012, 06:50 AM
I found that after removing and then reinstalling the 40 crimping die the position of the die had changed because the locking screw was not tight enough. What I had was some "fat" rounds at the crimp. Of course I was embarrased, but had to come home and resize. Re: the 223, we are planning a prairie dog hunt to CO. and I don't want to get out there and have ammo problems. (I'm new to 223 reloading)
I began reloading to save money but all I'm doing is spending the money I'm saving on "gotta" have stuff and "wanna" have stuff. It might be cheaper to chase women, no wait, the wife says forget it. Dang!
Thanks for the info guys