PDA

View Full Version : is it normal (pm40)

jerstolp
02-27-2012, 09:00 AM
that its next to impossible to extract a unfired round out of the chamber. like say i take my mag out and rack the slide to get the one out of the chamber, it gets cought up and locks the slide almost all the way back, and i have to pull the slide back real hard and push the round back in and let it fall out through the magwell. this is with my pm40. is has about 300 rnds through(shoots great) it and happens with either mag. before and after i did the follower mod.
thanks jeremy

Bawanna
02-27-2012, 09:04 AM
We hear of this frequently. If you kind of tip the gun ejection port downwards just a little to let gravity help you, you can jiggle the slide a bit.
Sometimes just pulling the slide back with gusto kicks the chambered round out better too. Usually folks want to catch the round rather than bend over and pick it up, that's usually a factor. The jiggling usually drops the round in my hand per plan.

jerstolp
02-27-2012, 09:08 AM
thanks.. il try. im not trying to be "cool" and catch it i just want it out without a huge hastle and a third arm, as it is i almost need a extra person, me holding the grip with one hand the slide with the other and somone else to poke it back in so it falls out the mag well

kerby9mm
02-27-2012, 09:30 AM
You could try inserting an empty mag before you try to extract the round in the chamber.

jerstolp
02-27-2012, 09:35 AM
ill try that too, but that is kinda rediculas. its usually when i come home unload my gun. i dont want to have to unload the mag too:(
ill try both ways quick..

jerstolp
02-27-2012, 09:39 AM
allright ,tilting it towards the groung did not help. but the empty mag in and turned towards the ground it ejected it pretty much fine. but why?

Bawanna
02-27-2012, 10:14 AM
The empty mag is putting pressure on it to kick it out. Another option that I'm not real fond of is just locking the slide back before you take the mag out. This would effectively kick out the chambered round. Then drop your mag and you should be empty.

I don't recall you mentioning how new this gun is but it's bound to improve with time. I had the same difficulty and it's become a non issue for me. I usually catch the round with a little slide jiggling.

I agree it's totally silly to have to insert an empty mag to clear the chamber. I rarely unload mine so it's usually not an issue for me.

wyntrout
02-27-2012, 10:22 AM
Just remove the magazine, turn the pistol sideways... ejection port down over something to catch the round, and give a hard rack. You can't be gentle. There's nothing but the ejector to kick the round out and it requires a robust, energetic rack, as Bawanna said.

I don't like the idea of trying to lock the slide back with a loaded magazine in place... too much juggling without a third hand!

Wynn:)

jerstolp
02-27-2012, 11:12 AM
i did turn i ejector side down as im a lefty. and im 5'11"250 and i racked it hard. it only works with a empty mag in..

jerstolp
02-27-2012, 11:12 AM
oh yeah it has about 250-300 rnds through it.

toddmog
02-27-2012, 11:40 AM
ill try that too, but that is kinda rediculas. its usually when i come home unload my gun. i dont want to have to unload the mag too:(
ill try both ways quick..

Why do you need to do this? If kids are an issue, invest in a small lock box. It's much easier than unloading every time and you won't run the risk of bullet set back by re-chambering a round multiple times.

TheTman
02-27-2012, 11:52 AM
Unfired Ranger 155gr rounds in my CW40 would get caught in the ejection port, with the tip catching on the barrel shroud, the flat part that hangs to the rear of the barrel proper. I took a file and filed that down a little, now they pop right out. I don't know if the PM40 has that shroud or not.

kerby9mm
02-27-2012, 12:50 PM
I think or am guessing (which ever you prefer) that this issue has to do with extractor tension. Both of my mk's eject the round with the mag out whether I rack slow or fast. Then again it could be in conjunction with the ejector also. Well most importantly your gun shoots good.

hypothalamus
03-04-2012, 10:52 AM
I have experienced the same challenge with both my PM40 (newly purchased) and my K40 (purchased 10 or so years ago).

I found, for me anyway, that I can hold the pistol in my firing hand, then cup my off hand over the ejection port while firmly grasping the slide, tip the pistol away from me so the the ejection port is down (I'm right-handed), rack the slide to the rear, and the chambered round consistently drops into my cupped hand.

Just my 2-cents, but that method requires a lot less effort that trying get that heavy spring racked back with enough force to throw the round clear. Maybe I just have girly hands, though; and I'm just the new guy .... :blah: :p