PDA

View Full Version : PM 9 Recoil spring question

jon9
09-05-2009, 10:47 AM
Anyone know the factory load specification for the recoil spring on the PM 9?
Sometimes the slide does not go all the way forward on my PM 9. I was wondering if I should buy a stronger recoil spring.

jocko
09-05-2009, 11:02 AM
Anyone know the factory load specification for the recoil spring on the PM 9?
Sometimes the slide does not go all the way forward on my PM 9. I was wondering if I should buy a stronger recoil spring.

it is 18#. Got to gunsprings.com and order from wolffs the 20.5# set of recoil springs for the PM9. It will help alot. That end cap on ur recoil rod will unscrew to allow you to install the wolffs springs. Just red locktite it back on.

My bet your kahr just needs more rounds down range to get broken in better. some seemto take longer to ret 100% reliable. Grease the slide rails and try just hand racking the slide about 500 times as fast asu can. this helpe break in without the "bang" thing.

new springs would be the first thing I would try though, Also make sure that outter spring is on correctly to. wrong way will produce issues...

Dogman
09-05-2009, 12:46 PM
I had the same thing going on when I first got my PM9.
This is what I did. Got a new recoil spring from Kahr, made sure the rails were well lubed, like jocko said hand racked the slide something like 500-1000 times, and changed from 115 grain to 124 grain bullets.

jocko
09-05-2009, 01:39 PM
I had the same thing going on when I first got my PM9.
This is what I did. Got a new recoil spring from Kahr, made sure the rails were well lubed, like jocko said hand racked the slide something like 500-1000 times, and changed from 115 grain to 124 grain bullets.

ever go back now and see how it does with 115 grain ammo. that is about all I ever have shot for range use. My defense stuff is 124 grain but as long as WWB is sold at wal-mart for under $20 per 100 that will be my range round and it has never given one issue. I would think yours should shoot 115 grain with no issues.

Dogman
09-05-2009, 02:15 PM
jocko, I haven't tried any 115 grain since switching to 124 grain in the PM9, I've got several boxes of 50 round 124 grain that I only use in the PM9. At some point I will try the 115 grain again. Your right, after 1500+ rounds I would think the 115 grain will do fine.

jon9
09-05-2009, 08:41 PM
I sent it back to Kahr after putting 600+ rounds through it new out of the box. They replaced the spring. I'll try your suggestions too. Thanks for the help. Do I also have to replace the striker spring?

jon9
09-05-2009, 08:46 PM
I do use 124gr. The sales guy at the gun store where I bought the PM9 said not to use steel jacketed ammo, only use brass and NO reloads in a Kahr. I really like the gun. I switched from a Smith and Wesson 438 airweight J frame to the Kahr for my carry gun.

Dogman
09-06-2009, 03:10 AM
I sent it back to Kahr after putting 600+ rounds through it new out of the box. They replaced the spring. I'll try your suggestions too. Thanks for the help. Do I also have to replace the striker spring?

JMO, I would think the striker spring would not need to be replaced, in less your having failure to fire problems the spring should be fine. And even then it could just need a good cleaning.

jocko
09-06-2009, 12:27 PM
JMO, I would think the striker spring would not need to be replaced, in less your having failure to fire problems the spring should be fine. And even then it could just need a good cleaning.

dead right there IMO. Most light strikes are just the result of a dirty striker channel. One should IMO definitely clean the striker channel by using that little hole on the bottom of the slide with a good spray cleaner and just spray away and fluids should come out both ends. That to me should be the first thing one should do with a new gun out of the box. there is some awful crude left in those guns, some not so bad as others but there is crude left in that striker channel.

A lot of guns have been sent back simply because a person didn't clean out the striker channel before going to the range the first time. Just takes a few minutes to prep a new gun..
My buddy's G17 started light strikes right from the git go, we took the striker assembly out and could not believe the crude that was there. cleaned and re-inserted and no more light strikes.

zena
09-07-2009, 06:48 AM
I do use 124gr. The sales guy at the gun store where I bought the PM9 said not to use steel jacketed ammo, only use brass and NO reloads in a Kahr. I really like the gun. I switched from a Smith and Wesson 438 airweight J frame to the Kahr for my carry gun.

Why no reloads?

dollarguy
09-07-2009, 07:08 AM
My PM9 is right at 300 rounds using only 115 gr FMJ with not once having a failure to feed or fire.

rock
09-07-2009, 08:00 AM
Why no reloads?

Most all manufactures say that due to liability. All I shoot in all my guns for practice are reloads, never a problem. I wouldn't shoot nearly as much buying ammo in the stores at such high prices.

jocko
09-07-2009, 08:48 AM
yet justify reloading 9mm fmj ammo when I can buy them at wal mart 147 grain fmj for $7.15 a box of box or the 115 grain fmj for $19.97. time spent, postage for bullets, primers, powder availability. Some love to reload though so no offense when I state my above opinions..

WVleo
09-07-2009, 08:55 AM
Why no reloads?

I think the salesman ment no lead re-loads, as the PM9 has a polygonal barrel would get leaded up very quickly. Jacketed reloads would pose no problems with-in 9mm +P specs ....WVleo

ltxi
09-07-2009, 09:18 AM
Kahrs are pretty picky about ammunition dimensions. Reloads will work if they're sized correctly. Not generally a good idea unless you're sure.

ltxi
09-07-2009, 11:52 AM
yet justify reloading 9mm fmj ammo when I can buy them at wal mart 147 grain fmj for $7.15 a box of box or the 115 grain fmj for $19.97. time spent, postage for bullets, primers, powder availability. Some love to reload though so no offense when I state my above opinions..

Same here. I used to reload, but not for economy. Haven't in the last 20+ years.

tv_racin_fan
09-09-2009, 05:10 AM
They generally mean no lead projectiles when they say no reloads. Lead and poly rifling do not mix well so I understand.