PDA

View Full Version : First Kahr - CM9 - Functioned Perfectly

Defndr
02-29-2012, 05:38 PM
Hello All,

First time owning a Kahr, first time posting here.

I have bought several firearms over the past few years, always looking for the perfect CCW. There always seems to be one that is a little better suited for my carry needs that I "need" to buy (which my wife really hates). My newest is a CM9, purchased a week ago to replace my LCP.

I just had the first chance to get to the range today. I left my (also new) M&P at home because I was focused - and ready - for the expected problems during the two-hundred round Kahr break-in.

Mine must be flawed, because it had absolutely NO problems during my 250 round break-in.

- It chambered every round I loaded
- It fired every round chambered
- It ejected every round I fired
- The slide locked back on the last shot of every magazine

IT WAS 100% RELIABLE OUT OF THE BOX!

I ran 100 rounds of 115gr FMJ Win White box; 50 rounds of 124gr FMJ Win White box, 50 rounds of aluminum cased Blazer 115gr FMJ; 25 rounds of Hornady 124 gr HP Zombie Max; and 25 rounds of Hornady 115 gr HP FTX Critical Defense. Then, just to play, I ran some of my own 115gr copper plated handloads.

I never thought this small gun would function so well and be as easy to control as it was. I have Pierce floor plates on order, but it handled just fine with the stock 6-round mag. I am VERY pleased with this firearm! Did others have the same trouble free break-in that I had? I only ever hear of the Kahr two-hundred-round break in from hell...

skiflydive
02-29-2012, 05:51 PM
Nice!

Pretty much echos my experience.

Welcome to KahrTalk.

carkarrier
02-29-2012, 06:03 PM
Welcome...it sure is nice when it works right out of the box. Maybe you were holding your mouth just right!!!!! Mine has worked perfectly through mixed bag of bullets. Hope it continues.

PYROhafe
02-29-2012, 07:57 PM
Congrats! Mine has run just like yours! 100% perfect right out of the box, with many types of ammo! o and welcome to the forum!

Allen
02-29-2012, 10:00 PM
I only had time to run 100 rounds of FMJ through my new CM9 last Monday at the indoor range and was expecting all sorts of problems. But it performed like I'd been shooting it for years. If I'd know everything was going to run so smooth I would have allowed for more time and rounds.

cjjohn
02-29-2012, 10:01 PM
congrats! I recently had the same experience! Now I want a PM45.................

Hognutz
03-01-2012, 07:16 AM
Congrats on the new CM9. Glad to hear that you are satisfied with it. They really are a nice little carry gun..Enjoy your new toy..

bandrich
03-01-2012, 07:26 AM
You are one LUCKY guy.....I am jealous. :wof:

03-01-2012, 03:45 PM
That's good to hear. My first range session of 200rd break in was a nightmare, but thanks to the folks on here I gave the gun a chance & 300+ rounds since the initial hiccups, it's running like a champ & now confident using it as my CCW during my late night runs here in FL.

CootShooter
03-01-2012, 04:12 PM
Mine was all good. Did the clean and lube, then racked the piss out of the slide for a day. Went to the range and fired the gun 208 times without a single hiccup.

I absolutely 100% love this little gun.

SGV
03-01-2012, 04:13 PM
Congrats! I wish I had been so lucky... :(

Tinman507
03-01-2012, 04:22 PM
http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o542/tinman507/forumwhine.jpg

SGV
03-02-2012, 05:51 AM
http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o542/tinman507/forumwhine.jpg

You are right. I should be content with a pistol that averaged 2 rounds between malfunctions and just keep my mouth shut. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I still have hope that mine will come back from the factory in trustworthy condition. I did like the size of the pistol, I liked the aesthetics and trigger as well. I just didn't like the fact that I couldn't trust it to function. Can you really blame a guy for feeling a bit bitter about a product that didn't work as advertised?

jocko
03-02-2012, 06:04 AM
yup, no one is ever happy about a prduct that doesn't work as designed. but as u know it is just not delegated to guns only either Kahr will fix it, sh-thappens. once it gets back toyou andyoiu bond with it, u will forget about thiis sad part. In the mean time just keep readin on this forum these guys are suer. some have walke din the same fottsteps that u asre walkijng in to..

Tinman507
03-02-2012, 06:09 AM
That graphic wasn't meant to bust your chops. I am sorry your gun didn't work out of the box. The good news is, history is on your side bigtime:

#1 You bought a Kahr CM9 and it's history is well documented here. The majority work well.
#2 you bought a Kahr. Their customer service is excellent. Also well documented here. They'll make it right.

I too would be (and have been) very frustrated if my brand new $400 gun didn't work. It's a matter of perspective, I suppose. I honestly believe these little guns require a change in mindset. There's a lot packed into them and that makes them (all of them) a little more finicky, more highstrung and more prone to break in issues.

I am sure your Kahr will come back and perform the way you hoped and expected.

FWIW, the graphic wasn't directed at you, per se. For the folks who've been here a while it gets a little frustrating to see a new owner who has or had issues reply to every thread on a particular model with their whine about how it failed. In several cases, it's been before their gun even came back from the mothership.

Again, I am sorry you had problems. Hang in there. It'll be made right. Learn as much as you can about your gun. Lotta experts on this forum (I am not one) and lotta people to commiserate with you.

Give Kahr a chance to get it right and I am certain you'll be pleased.

Tinman507
03-02-2012, 07:10 AM
I think, and this is only my opinion, that people who have trouble with their new Kahrs wish that Kahr would admit that some of their guns have issues out of the box and would do more shooting testing before shipping. Kahr is part of a company that prides itself in high quality, close tolerance manufacturing and machining. By rights they should be able to say "yes, this meets our tolerance specs...ship it." It needs to be known that those tolerance specs are very tight and suffer from the factors of variable ammunition and variable operators. I believe that Kahr builds guns to a closer manufacturing tolerance than maybe any other manufacturer. Maybe Kahr should spend more time shooting their guns for testing than measuring them for testing. Some other manufacturers build their stuff to lesser tolerance which easily accommodates the ammo and operator variability. In general I detest car analogies but; I feel like I bought a high performance sports car and I did so because I like close tolerance stuff. If I wanted less I would have bought a Glo, erm, Chevy. I acknowledge that it's fair to expect a pistol that goes bang every time out of the box, but I'm willing to work with it to make it the high performance machine it is. Some aren't.

I don't disagree with you. I think Kahr SHOULD test a lot more before shipping. Here's the dilemma: They're in business to sell guns. They have competition in the marketplace. It costs money...A LOT of money to do extensive "Startup" testing. So, to remain competitive I believe they're playing the percentages game. If they ship 200 guns per month (hypothetical numbers) and they get 4 back for repairs it costs them $xx.00. If they ship 200 guns per month and each one is extensively tested before shipping that will add (pick a number) to the cost of the gun. That drives their cost up, makes them less competitive. It's a bit more of a gamble to not test but I am betting they come out ahead.
If the SHTF and they have a whole group of vendored parts come in bad (pick trigger bars) and they see a trend with a bunch of CM9's coming back in with bad trigger bars they can react to that with corrective action.
The danger in that philosophy is you can create a lot of badwill with your customer base very quickly. It's a horrendous balancing act. Test and price yourself out or ship a whole crapload of bad guns and get a bad rep. They're searching for a profitable midpoint in there someplace.

SGV
03-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Well speak of the Devil! Fed Ex delivered my pistol today.

Tinman and Jocko- Of course, you guys are right. I know that I am in the minority. I did my research prior to buying this pistol and had heard nothing but great things. As is the case on most brand-specific forums, there are what appears to be an abnormal amount of problems because folks that have problems are drawn there for answers. For every guy posting negative things here about Kahr there are hundreds happily at the range enjoying their pistols. I will give it another chance, because I really like everything about the pistol other than the reliability issue.

jocko
03-02-2012, 04:49 PM
attitude goes a long way towards liking anything. Most gun specific forums are going to get negatives, tha tis what these forums are for t. Many here have been helped by members without sending their guns back, again I think that is what forums are for. I was on the kel tec forum for years and trust me those guys had fixes for damn near anythihng kt made, many did work to, if u wanted to take the time to do them. Postivie reports normaly are people who have no issues, so why post, , so why even get on a gun forum, My glock is performing as it should, I have no reason to get on a glock forum, for personally I don't want to hear allt he b.s. one way or the other, so Iam a non poster on any other gun forum except this one. Are kahrs issue free???Most are, but those that are not normally make it to this forum, so some will draw conclusions from merely reading this fourm, which I would bet is less than 5% of total kahr owners in the country. Most gun owners could give a rats ass about anya gun forum.

Karh probably does no more or no less testing than any other gun maker. We have seen kahrs act up after 100 rouonds andnot the first 10 rounds, so where do u stop at testing, vbesides the over all cost involved to. My son is a quality control enginner with cummins diesel, noted for one of the fienst diesel motors in the world. They make and sell over 5000 engines a day in all sizes. They test daily, they visit vendors weekly all over the world. My son just got back for a 7 day trip toengland to see one of their vendors. CUMMINS STILL HAS CLOSE TO A HALF MILLION DOLLARS A DAY IN WARRANTY REPAIR. SH-T HAPPENS..

michpatriot
03-02-2012, 09:00 PM
Kahrs are the best carry option...I think youll be happy.