PDA

View Full Version : Which .45 not to buy

HDoc
02-29-2012, 07:25 PM
Cause I respect your opinions: My plan to buy my G21 gen4 fell through due to my feeling that the LGS was stringing me along after 6 weeks of no gun.
So my original idea was a non 1911 .45 full size gun. Glock/CZ/Sig/SA etc.
Price is a secondary consideration. I'm leaning towards a Sig p220 stainless elite.
Now I don't want to get into a I love my xxxx. I'd like to know if there is any non-1911 .45 you would not buy cause of your personal experiences.

CJB
02-29-2012, 10:23 PM
I've got Kahr PMs, Sig P220, a slew of 1911a1's, a 1911 right now.

Would love to get my hands on the FN45 with safety&decocker

Have had the Ruger P94dc (two in fact), have had HKP9s (terrible, three self destructed), have had another Sig P200, and various 1911 derivatives... including old Detonics, Springfield, Colt, Essex, and the venerable AMT Hardballer.

I like the looks of the FN, big mags (15 shot) stainless.. DA/SA with safety and decocker. Not thrilled about plastic trigger and such... but you dont hear of them breaking on the FN forum. They had some lockwork issues (solved two years ago). Thats about it.

kayl
03-01-2012, 09:08 AM
I'd go with a P220 (have one, love it, last gun I'll ever sell if it comes to that) or a Springfield XD (5" XD or the 5.25" XDm) :-D

Longitude Zero
03-01-2012, 09:17 AM
No Ruger pistols for me at. They just do not feel right in my hands. For some reason Ruger pistols are virtually non-existent in LEO holsters. There has got to be a reason.

MW surveyor
03-01-2012, 09:30 AM
Well, there's always Hi-Point!

DKD
03-01-2012, 09:30 AM
Lngitude Zero,

The reason you don't see Rugers in LEO holsters is that they hadn't gone after that end of the market. Old man Ruger also designed many of his pistol for larger style grips...the old man had huge mitts. They just resently started marketing exchangeable grip backstraps for there pistols. I know this to be so since my third cousin was not only the corporate attorney, but was made president of Ruger Firearms for several years after Bill Rugers passing. I beleive he is presently on the Board of Dirrectors.
The police paepartments ask for an awfull lot from firearms companies and Ruger has quite an established market in the firearms world and doing well without the added problems and low margins associated with supporting police departments.

ptoemmes
03-01-2012, 10:04 AM
In the category of ones to consider: HK45 or HK45c. USP variants as well. Can be pricey.

I added an HK45c to the stable and converted to LEM. I can say that the P45 is far more flexible for CC.

Pete

OldLincoln
03-01-2012, 10:18 AM
HDoc, of the ones you mentioned I second the Sig P220. It's been around a long time and has serious application behind it. It's also what several of the heroes carry in my many action books. :) My only problem with it is carrying a 3lb gun around.

Longitude Zero
03-01-2012, 11:34 AM
DKD They make fantastic revolvers and rifles. They missed the mark with semi autos. They do not fit my hand and reliability from personal experience is very bad. My opinion based upon real life experience. Others may differ.

getsome
03-01-2012, 11:45 AM
I would not buy anything from Taurus due to their poor customer service...I like CJB also got the hots for the FN45...Many don't like the SA/DA decocker system but I do and my current .45 a S&W 4506 uses that platform and I am used to it....I suppose I'm un-American but the 1911 design just doesn't do it for me due to the whole cocked & locked deal but I do love the looks and feel of a 1911 and respect the design...

If I ever do buy another .45 it would be either the FN or a S&W M&P

HDoc
03-01-2012, 12:48 PM
HDoc, of the ones you mentioned I second the Sig P220. It's been around a long time and has serious application behind it. It's also what several of the heroes carry in my many action books. :) My only problem with it is carrying a 3lb gun around.

Fired one today at the rental range. Very nice, very accurate and low recoil. My only concern? an extra $400 over the Glock 21. Still it's a very
good looking gun. and I think I'm currently over my polymer phase.

Barth
03-01-2012, 02:03 PM
I don't know about what I wouldn't buy???
Everyone here that knows me, knows I totally love mySig Sauer P220/45.
Mine is a classic, stamped steel slide, alloy frame gun from 1998.
The balance, fit and feel is nothing short of outstanding.
I can shoot 45s all day long with it.

Some folks have written about the newer stainless slide Sigs as
being of less quality. And of the all stainless ones as being a bit heavy.
I don't know about that.

My classic P220 has never failed me.
And with a Factory P220 Sport 5.47" stainless barrel - it's a tack driver.
I highly recommend a classic P220/45.

ltxi
03-01-2012, 05:43 PM
My problem is getting past the no 1911 pattern bit.

I've been shooting .45ACP all my life, love it and have always been totally comfortable with it, and have eight or nine good handguns in the caliber. But, except for one brief foray into Sig land, all my .45s have been "1911's". I just realized that.

Bawanna
03-01-2012, 05:54 PM

I've been shooting .45ACP all my life, love it and have always been totally comfortable with it, and have eight or nine good handguns in the caliber. But, except for one brief foray into Sig land, all my .45s have been "1911's". I just realized that.

You make it sound like your a bad person? Do you think you need therapy?

JohnR
03-01-2012, 06:21 PM
I'm thinking of going to fondle a .45 EAA Witness. Heard good things about 'em, and they satisfy my craving for an all steel man-size .45 with rubber grips that's not a 1911.

Russ
03-01-2012, 06:25 PM
I own a Springfield XD 45. I have never had issues. 13 rounds is nice but not practical for concealment.

My CCW is a single stack 9mm. Plenty of firepower cheaper to practice and more rounds over a 45 in a single stack. Best choice overall for CCW in my opinion.

Russ

yote
03-01-2012, 06:29 PM
I'm very happy with the Sig P220. The ergonomics seem perfect for me. Is easy for me to shoot accurately and it has been very reliable. You could probably find a good deal on one slightly used.

HDoc
03-01-2012, 06:32 PM

Just some unpleasant memories of many dirty 1911's, Camp Bullis, Tx. being the most Jr. officer, clueless... no I can't go on.......
Some day with love and kindness I may love 1911's again.

HDoc
03-01-2012, 06:34 PM
Any comments on HK or FNPs? Just heard they are hellacious to repair and that HK has a notorious " if you aren't a government contract... get in line"

TheTman
03-01-2012, 06:36 PM
A lot of people say to avoid the AMT Hardballer .45. I'd never heard of it before I googled "worst .45 ever". I looked up a picture of it, and it looks kinda similiar to a PM45. I think it's been replaced by the AMT Backup.
I've never fired a 1911 clone that didn't do a decent job.
I've been told by several people (one was the guy who taught my CC class) that Bersa pistols are made with inferior quality metal, and should be avoided, but many people really like them and they are pretty affordable. Then you have your Cobra's and Hi-Points that I wouldn't want to rely on.

ltxi
03-01-2012, 06:46 PM
Well, Bawanna...

I know I'm a bad person 'cause my three ex-wives keep reminding me of that.....even the current one/keeper does when she's pissed.

Therapy worked pretty good for awhile and got me mostly calmed down. Then I went on maintenance drugs so I don't need that anymore.

Truth be told, when I start to get really shaky I just retreat to 1911s, J-frames, and K-frames until I begin feeling better....and I'm just fine with that.

And...for anyone who may have caught the post where I confessed to having misplaced my most favorite carry 1911 about a year ago, I found it last month in the fire safe where I keep my tax files. Apparently I filed it away with last year's tax return.

And I'm not even close to the worst of the locals.

CJB
03-01-2012, 07:22 PM
A lot of people say to avoid the AMT Hardballer .45. I'd never heard of it before I googled "worst .45 ever". I looked up a picture of it, and it looks kinda similiar to a PM45.

The AMT Hairballer... er HARDballer was a bit of a "Gold Cup" knock off. It does not look like a PM45, but like a stainless 1911, of which, it was the first on the market. Ribbed slide with adjustable sights. Fairly low port from the factory (big thing for its day). Wide trigger - doesn't fit the gold cup or govy.... its in between. Thats basically it. The metallurgy was terrible. I went through two barrels on mine... very soft steel indeed. The slide and frame were not so bad, they didn't gall, but those lugs wore off each barrel. I finally sold it to someone who NEEDED a stainless .45

JimBianchi
03-01-2012, 08:03 PM
I sold my Taurus PT58 (13rd .380) when I realized it was the same size as a GLOCK G30.

I love my G30 and carry it whenever I get the itch for 45ACP.

TriggerMan
03-01-2012, 10:04 PM
Any comments on HK or FNPs? Just heard they are hellacious to repair and that HK has a notorious " if you aren't a government contract... get in line"I've had exemplary service from HK. Between S&W, SIG and HK; its HK in a landslide. I've not sampled service anywhere else.

Where does a gunsmith call YOU? Where does a gunsmith shop the internet to try and find a less costly part compared to what his company says he needs to invoice a customer? At HK about 3 months ago. Gun wasn't even in warranty and I am not LEO or other gov't. customer. I own one 32 year old gun.

The attitude your heard about was possibly true seven or eight years ago.