PDA

View Full Version : Kahr SS Guide Rod ordered for MK40

lkgmadmax
03-03-2012, 05:44 AM
I just ordered the SS rod from Kahr, does anyone know if the stock springs will work OK??

Thanks!

Sent from my ThinkPad Tablet using Tapatalk

PitBull
03-03-2012, 06:30 AM
Works for my CW9.
I ordered the stainless steel rod at the same time I replaced the spring but it's still the standard spring and they work fine together.
The stainless guide rod still gets scuffed a little in the same place as the tubular one but to a lesser extent.

kerby9mm
03-03-2012, 06:48 AM
I just ordered the SS rod from Kahr, does anyone know if the stock springs will work OK??

Thanks!

Sent from my ThinkPad Tablet using Tapatalk

I too have a mk40. I thought about the stainless rod for both of my mk's but just never did it but I still might. What I found out I learned on this forum about the installation. The stock springs can be used for your new guide rod. There are two ways to do it. One way is to put the old assembly in a vice then insert a small enough rod through the hole in the front and tap off the back round piece that is supposedly pressed in. The other way is to lock the slide back and clip off the plastic rod just behind the end. I don't know when you take the gun down after that is the springs fly but I suspect not. Then reassemble with your new rod and be sure to use blue loctite on the screw in rod end. Let me know how it works. I might do it too for looks because that's the only benefit.

QuercusMax
03-03-2012, 08:40 AM
I might do it too for looks because that's the only benefit.

My thoughts exactly. I really hate seeing that little piece of plastic sticking out the front end of my MK9, but it actually works just fine, so I'm a bit reluctant to mess around with it. Something about not fixing something that isn't broken....

kerby9mm
03-03-2012, 08:54 AM
This thought popped into my mind. Does it void your warranty? I guess if something else goes bad you could a stock one back in if the gun had to go back to Kahr.

ORSalesRep
03-03-2012, 05:17 PM
This thought popped into my mind. Does it void your warranty? I guess if something else goes bad you could a stock one back in if the gun had to go back to Kahr.

I don't believe it will void your warranty since it is a Kahr product. I installed the stainless steel guide rod on my MK9 Elite about a year ago. Was easy to install and I used the existing springs. I took the old guide rod assembly out and cut the plastic rod, moved the springs to the new stainless assembly and used loctite to secure the screw on end that holds the springs in place. The only negative is that it is a captive guide rod design. So changing recoil springs is not as easy. I am not sure how difficult it is remove the screw on end after putting on the loctite since I have not changed my recoil spring yet. I may try the Wolff Spring set/guide rod. It is a non-captive design, and if it is steel, I may try to take a dremel and some Flitz to it and see if I can polish it up to look stainless.

jocko
03-03-2012, 05:23 PM
hell I think kahr even sells um!!! for some models that just have one recoil tube. a waste of dough rae me IMO.

kerby9mm
03-03-2012, 06:14 PM
As far as function goes it is a waste of money but I think it would look great and some of us gun guys (myself included) value looks. As far as the blue locktite goes I was TOLD it just takes more torque to break loose so changing springs can't be bad.