PDA

View Full Version : question about new cm9

titus1971
03-03-2012, 08:09 AM
I just received my new CM9 yesterday. I've had a P9 for while and not had any issues with it, even during the break in period. I love the size and concealability of it of the little CM. I've taken it apart, several times for the initial cleaning and to familiaraize myself with the breakdown and every time I put it back together I have a devil of a time keeping the recoil spring from popping out the end of the slide while I'm installing it. Once i get it back together it seems to actuate fine. I was just wondering if that was normal for these pocket guns? The only thing I noticed is that the spring isnt flat on the end like some of my other guns (which would allow it to seat in the housing without popping out) but just stops at the normal spring angle (like it was just clipped off). Is this anything that should concern me?

kerby9mm
03-03-2012, 08:21 AM
Are you sure you put the correct end of the spring in the spring tunnel? I have mk series guns that operate differently because of a captive system but I think I read if you have the bigger end in the front and it still pops out you can open up the spring end a little so it stays in the spring tunnel and doesent pop out. I'm sure others will be able to tell you for sure.

LonghornFan69
03-03-2012, 08:34 AM
I just received my new CM9 yesterday. I've had a P9 for while and not had any issues with it, even during the break in period. I love the size and concealability of it of the little CM. I've taken it apart, several times for the initial cleaning and to familiaraize myself with the breakdown and every time I put it back together I have a devil of a time keeping the recoil spring from popping out the end of the slide while I'm installing it. Once i get it back together it seems to actuate fine. I was just wondering if that was normal for these pocket guns? The only thing I noticed is that the spring isnt flat on the end like some of my other guns (which would allow it to seat in the housing without popping out) but just stops at the normal spring angle (like it was just clipped off). Is this anything that should concern me?

It's normal, I have a CM9 and it does the same thing. I have read several post here in the last month or so where other people are experiencing the same thing too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ikeo74
03-03-2012, 08:51 AM
When that happens, rotate the spring 1/4 to 1/2 turn and reinsert again and keep the guide rod as straight as you can. The spring is easy to get out of position.

yqtszhj
03-03-2012, 09:31 AM
When that happens, rotate the spring 1/4 to 1/2 turn and reinsert again and keep the guide rod as straight as you can. The spring is easy to get out of position.

^^^ what he said on rotating the spring.

CJB
03-03-2012, 10:00 AM
Open end of spring goes in the tunnel at the front of the slide. As you hold the slide, the "end" of the coil should be away from you, towards the barrel, not towards the frame (when the pistol is assembled).

JFootin
03-03-2012, 11:02 AM
Another thing that helps is to take some pliers and slightly straighten the open end of the spring.

titus1971
03-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Well that makes me feel better, I guess I had just gotten use to the spring/recoil assembly that's all in one on my Glocks. What do you mean by "Straighten the open end of the spring"

JFootin
03-03-2012, 12:31 PM
Well that makes me feel better, I guess I had just gotten use to the spring/recoil assembly that's all in one on my Glocks. What do you mean by "Straighten the open end of the spring"

The end of the spring wire in the front just comes to an open end or point. If that end is in close to the guide rod, it can more easily get into the hole before the rod fills it. By taking pliers and bending the wire strait just a little bit, you lessen its tendency to dive into the hole.

michpatriot
03-03-2012, 12:31 PM
Looking at the open end of the spring... just straighten out the tip a little.. my slide seemed to not have the scratchy feel when racking also after this little mod...this process is only done to the very tip of the corkscrew. Just a little squeeze with pliers will do it. all your trying to straighten is a little bit of the end. Start small and reassemble trying it before straightening too much.

jocko
03-03-2012, 12:59 PM
nice photo. indeed one should reverse that spring even to see if it slides up and down on the recol tube with no restriction. sometimes that open end tip is pointing to much inward and it will bind on that outtter recoil tube, slwoing down slide action and possalby give feed/ejection issues. Just a pair of tweezers to open up that end tip and then I take some fine sand paper and smooth that tip off even. I spray my recoil srings and outter tube with Remington dry slide spray. I have had my spring tip sometimes peek out in front of the slide when reinstalling. Just a quirk that one soon learns to know where to have that open tip pointing.