PDA

View Full Version : USCCA Membership?

Mike_B
03-03-2012, 12:00 PM
Just finished watching a "webinar" for the USCCA (U.S. Concealed Carry Association). It wasn't bad, but most of the info presented I'd already learned from stuff on this and a few other forums and an Ayoob book.

I was just wondering if any of the members here belonged to this organization or could give any info about it. It seems kind of expensive to belong to....

jocko
03-03-2012, 12:27 PM
I was a one time subgscriber to their magazihe. not worht the money IMO, ur right in the "learned" stuff.

downtownv
03-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Very disappointed in this group I sent them a letter canceling
I asked the the following about the insurance 3 times they never answered so It must be true!

Membership@usconcealedcarry.com

Please clarify this members understanding of the insurance coverage

My own takaways on it:
-The coverage limits for civil liabilities are only available if the suit arises out of an act of "self defense", so one has to have already been cleared by the state as having acted in self defense in order for this coverage to apply to any civil suits against you.

-The civil suit coverage likely includes costs of defense within the policy limits, so a long civil trial would quickly erode any available coverage for any judgement ultimately made against the coverage holder, and the limits are already a bit low to begin with for all but the platinum level.

-This is not first dollar coverage for criminal defense. You're still on your own and will have to come up with funds for your criminal defense. This element of the coverage will, at most, help you recoup a portion of significant out of pocket expenses IF you have been found not guilty of any charges that were brought against you. So if you get railroaded by the state, which we have seen in the past & WILL see again, you are SOL for recouping those expenses.
They add that there is a Legal Defense foundation that can bridge the gap for this financial exposure, but the criteria for the legal foundation seem to indicate you'd still be on your own to get a good laywer and it'd ultimately be at their discretion whether or not to help you. No matter how generous they may choose to be when offering such legal defense grants, there are no guarantees offered whatsoever.

Basically, these membership benefits might have the potential to help someone get some money back when all is said & done, but this program does not seem like something a gun owner can count on to have their back right after a self defense shooting. You're still on your own to get a good lawyer and find a way to pay for that lawyers help. You're REALLY on your own if the criminal case does not go in your favor. This "protection" really only seems to kick in and play a factor when all the really important stuff is already over & done with, from what I can see.

True or False?
Is there First Dollar coverage available from USCCA or anywhere else?

MY ADVISE DO NOT JOIN!!!!

Longitude Zero
03-03-2012, 02:22 PM
IMHO ALL so called concealed carry/justified insurance of this type is bogus! When it comes to a justified self defense shooitng if you are sued you are on your own. Thats the way it is.

Bill K
03-03-2012, 03:13 PM
A member for a bunch years but will not be renewing my current superscription. I like the magazine very much and felt the forum was half decent. I'm balking now at the must get insurance plan that as a required part of the membership. Wish I could just get the the magazine.

Longitude Zero
03-03-2012, 08:52 PM
Wish I could just get the the magazine.

I am in the same boat with you.

TheTman
03-03-2012, 09:00 PM
I'm a member, with the gold level insurance. Hopefully will never have to use it. I too like the magazine, has some good articles and product reviews.
I didn't know you had to buy the insurance now to become a member, that's messed up. I'm not sure if I'll renew or not now. Getting the insurance was my choice, but if I am forced to do it to be a member, than that definately is something I'll have to think about. I don't like to be "forced" to do anything. Plus my homeowner's insurance duplicates part of the coverage, I'd just rather be over insureed than under insured.
I've liked the USCCA, and thought they had some good advice on what to do in a defensive shooting incident. Most of it's common sense, but after something like that I'm sure you're not going to be in the best frame of mind to make decisions.

downtownv
03-04-2012, 05:07 AM
Read the terms of their "Insurance" It's pretty useless!

houdini
03-04-2012, 07:17 AM
I was a member for 5 years the price went up, I like the mag but the web site was ok.

houdini
03-04-2012, 07:18 AM
you have to buy the insurance.