PDA

View Full Version : Brand new PM9, unfired, frame damaged. Anyone seen anything like this? (PICS)

PJF
03-04-2012, 03:38 PM
Hi everyone-

My wife recently got her CCW and after lots of shopping,handling, and reading reviews she decided she liked the PM9 and wanted one as her carry piece.

I ordered a NIB PM9 with Novak night sights from a local dealer.

On Friday he called to say it was in. On Saturday afternoon I went over, inspected the pistol, found it to be very nice externally, and did the transfer. I brought it home and we decided to go out to the backyard pistol range and start breaking it in right away.

As is my custom with any new firearm I broke it down to thoroughly clean and inspect it before we shot it. Following the directions in the manual I separated the slide from the frame. To my great surprise I found the interior of the frame looked like garbage! Needless to say we did NOT fire the pistol.

The pictures below can tell the story better than I can. The area around the red arrows concerns me particularly, it looks as though someone used a punch and hammer to beat on the frame. The fuschia arrows represent a groove in the frame that I can see NO way the slide could put there. I can't imagine the slide even comes in contact with the frame at this point. And the yellow arrows I don't know how to describe what it going on there except that it appears the frame is rolled up at that point.

There is no way my dealer did this, he had the pistol in his possession for less than 16 hours and he would have no reason to open it up and beat on it like this. So it either left the factory like this or the middleman did it.

I am pretty disgusted to be honest. This was not a cheap pistol and there is absolutely no reason it should look like this brand new in the box. Has anyone else seen something like this brand new? What on Earth would even cause this kind of damage? There is no sign that this pistol has ever even been fired.

Needless to say I am going back to the dealer tomorrow morning and returning it. I still want a PM9 for her but not if this is the kind of quality I can expect.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/paulj1973/PM9Frame.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/paulj1973/Pm9Frame2.jpg

Bawanna
03-04-2012, 03:53 PM
I'm color blind but the yellow looking arrows look like just slag which could be easily trimmed off although you shouldn't have to and it shouldn't have left like that. The other areas I have not ever seen or encountered.

I think I'd send pictures to kahr to see what they say. Maybe best to let your dealer stay involved if he will. I would think since it was transferred, it's now between you and kahr. They will take care of it without question.

I'd email those photos and see what they say even before you go back to the dealer.

jocko
03-04-2012, 04:40 PM
what bawanna says is about the right road to go down. definitely go back to the dealer and IMO I think I would le thim trouble shoot this for you. It's new u have not shot it, hard telling which came first here the chicken or the egg, but someone certainly fokked this gun up.

Let your dealer handle it, because it is registered doesnot mean he cannot take care of it for u either. Where ever this dealer bought the gun from he should try to work with them to. I have not seen a gun look like that OUT OF THE BOX. I don't think you will like the answer u might get from kahr, so IMO I would bypass them for now anyways..

stuch77
03-04-2012, 04:44 PM
just take 400 grit paper to it. i had flashing and what you have on your gun on my cm9 when it was unfired i used a no11 excto blade and 400 grit paper to clean up the frame. its bullcrap kahr doesn't do it before it leaves the factory. then after i shot it even got smoother.

CJB
03-04-2012, 04:47 PM
To me... Yellow, slag, or flashing.. no biggie. Purple, similar, extra crust... no biggie.

The red area, to me, looks like somebody at the factory removed excess material with a hot instrument (ie woodburner) not totally unlike stippling, but in this case as a fitment technique to remove something that was there, a lump maybe.... dunno.

Doesn't look pretty, but I dont see its dangerous. There's no contact points there. The slide rides on the front and back rails. The barrel rides on the pin, so its no real "contact". You're more interested in clearance I'd say... which is what I'm suspecting the marks (at red arrows) are about.

Still... talk to Kahr. See what they say. Gonna say also, that the frame on my PM's are not really so pristine on the inside...at that same point, but they shoot like gangbusters.

jocko
03-04-2012, 04:50 PM
it doesn't look like flashing around the trigger area.It looks really abused there. granted he can do that and possably if no one stps up to the plate for him, he should do that. I think kahr willplead the 5th, now what his selling dealer will or can do is another story. This is where a good hometown dealer comes into play alot..

If it wasmy gun,and I am particular to but also forgiving. I WOULD NOT ACCEPT THIS GUN LIKE THIS, but that being said u registered it, ur now the owner so the ball is possably in your court. I will say there is nothing there that should hinder performance, as that crap around the trigger area, just looks like sh-t but should have no bearing on reliability but I just have toask myself, "how in the hell did it get so damaged especialliy in that trigger area as the slide never comes into contact there. The sad thing is that this frame has a serial number to it or other wise kahr might jst stp up to the plate and send another one, unfortunaltely not that easy to to. It has to have an entire new frame with a new serial number to it and then resent to a ffl dealer to be reregistered. This all takes time to.

I would not bet if this is going to be a happy ending for the owner either:blah:

stuch77
03-04-2012, 04:51 PM
i called kahr when i saw mine and the tech said its par for the course. thats when i took things into my own hands.

stuch77
03-04-2012, 04:55 PM
what i've found over the yrs of owning plastic guns is that your going to need some balls in gunsmithing to alot of gun Co.s weapons.

jocko
03-04-2012, 04:59 PM
I sold glocks for years and I never seen a frame on a glock that ever looked like sh-t NEVER. I pulled damn near every glock slide off of every gun I sold just to show the buyer how easy it was to take the gun down and I just never seen anything inside there that looked like some of the inside of kahrs pictured. Yes it is rare but when it happens to you and they say it is normal, well--u get the picture..

stuch77
03-04-2012, 05:02 PM
not glock or sig. but had it on some fnp/fnhs, kel-tech's. but never as bad as my cm9 it was like the op's gun. total bullcrap KAHR.

jocko
03-04-2012, 05:03 PM
To me... Yellow, slag, or flashing.. no biggie. Purple, similar, extra crust... no biggie.

The red area, to me, looks like somebody at the factory removed excess material with a hot instrument (ie woodburner) not totally unlike stippling, but in this case as a fitment technique to remove something that was there, a lump maybe.... dunno.

Doesn't look pretty, but I dont see its dangerous. There's no contact points there. The slide rides on the front and back rails. The barrel rides on the pin, so its no real "contact". You're more interested in clearance I'd say... which is what I'm suspecting the marks (at red arrows) are about.

Still... talk to Kahr. See what they say. Gonna say also, that the frame on my PM's are not really so pristine on the inside...at that same point, but they shoot like gangbusters.

$100 gun, maybe,but an $800 gun NO WAY. I don't think CJB u would accept this gun the way it is either, Just sayin:blah: U just don't take a hot iron or anything to a new gun and fokk it up loke that and box it up and send it off as new. That frame if it was done at kahr should have went into the blemished bin at best and then reworked to look halfway presentable and sold as a blem, ...

stuch77
03-04-2012, 05:09 PM
$100 gun, maybe,but an $800 gun NO WAY. I don't think CJB u would accept this gun the way it is either, Just sayin:blah: U just don't take a hot iron or anything to a new gun and fokk it up loke that and box it up and send it off as new. That frame if it was done at kahr should have went into the blemished bin at best and then reworked to look halfway presentable and sold as a blem, ...

THIS IS A FACT but like i said some 400 paper and a blade and its all good.

CJB
03-04-2012, 05:15 PM

I'm not sayin' its right or acceptable, just... trying to explain how it happened, and the impact that it might have on safety.

Couple of outcomes - Kahr says, replace frame. Maybe?
Could be dealer will take it back, and battle it out with distributor - hopefully someone like Davidsons which has the replacement warranty.
Could be the dealer is sympathetic... offers some compensation.

Could be our esteemed new associate has a pistol that nobody is gonna do a thing about. To me, thats a shame... not right... a real kick in the cajones. But, its not the end of the world either, as I still believe the pistol is safe and will function.

Thats why the best bet is to contact Kahr and see what they say.

CJB
03-04-2012, 05:17 PM
More I look... that red arrow spot looks like a soldering iron/woodburner tip got dragged across it a few times.

jocko
03-04-2012, 05:31 PM
ur an engineer CJB, u know kahr has a quality control system that should catch that stuff blindfolded. The vendor who even makes the polymer frame for kahr has to have a quality control in place We are certainly not talking about any fly by night vendors here. to, so this if done at kahr or at the vendors should have never left the building. I just can't believe in my little mind that kahr would have let anything like this get out the door. I certainly am not defending kahr or anyone but it is not gonna be easy to see where the damage was done as this gun could have went through at least 3 different hands before it ever got to the new owner. We don't know if this gun was even ever registered before and the damage done and then returned or what ever. Just alot of unknowns here and I am just afraid this new guy is gonna get stuck. I sure hope I am wrong to.

We have all seen in the past some flashing/ shavings that were easily sanded off or just slide action would have smoothed things out OK but this looks like somethine hot or a sharp pointed something just cut the hell ouf of that one area, that makes no sense to have done it.

I am at a loss here ..

downtownv
03-04-2012, 05:38 PM
Another reason to love steel framed guns!
Polymer? Call it what it is! Plastic. My wifes cw9 was about 100 rds "used" so I never had any problems other than running another 150 rounds thru it to get past the break-in.

PJF
03-04-2012, 05:39 PM
Thank you to all who have replied.

While I appreciate the advice there is NO way that I am taking sandpaper and/or an X-Acto to a brand new unfired pistol that cost just shy of $800.

I have many other pistols, both polymer and metal framed. Some cost more than this PM9 and some cost considerably less. NONE of them looked this poorly constructed.

My goal tomorrow will be to get my money refunded.

Keep in mind my wife wanted this pistol as her everyday carry piece that she was going to trust her LIFE to. Personally I wouldn't trust this weapon as far as I could throw it.

jocko
03-04-2012, 05:45 PM
be nice to your dealer,he probably is totally unaware of this to.... he can if he wants to just get u another PM9 and deal with this gun any way he desires. The fact that it is registered should have no bearing if this dealer wants to make it right for you. If the dealer offers to send it back and get it replaced, "go with that". I doubt if he will refund your money back. again honey on bread catchs more flys than sh-t on bread, just sayin. I sold guns for over 40 years and sometimes a good honest dealer just has to step up to the plate and do what is right...

If the dealer does any business with the vendor he bought it from a callto them , to tellthem how this gun looks out of the box, will probalby get a distributor reply to just send it back to them and they wills end u a new one. IMO nothing has to be said about this gun even being registered, as no laws are broken either. No disclosure is needed IMO.. dealers are distributors bread and butter so they don't want to piss delaers of, and a bid distributore sending back this shi- looking gun to kahr will get some action much faster to.

CJB
03-04-2012, 06:01 PM
I hear ya Jocko... I suppose it depends on if its "unintentional - damage" or "we meant to do that - part fitting".

Kahr themselves will have to answer that question, one way or the other. I hope they side with us "end users" and do the right thing (and replace or rework the frame).

kerby9mm
03-04-2012, 06:02 PM
Is there any chance that Kahr is trying to get more guns made and shipped beyond their capacity to do so? If that is the scenario then this pm9 is the result.

PJF
03-04-2012, 06:10 PM
be nice to your dealer,he probably is totally unaware of this to.... he can if he wants to just get u another PM9 and deal with this gun any way he desires. The fact that it is registered should have no bearing if this dealer wants to make it right for you. If the dealer offers to send it back and get it replaced, "go with that". I doubt if he will refund your money back.

I will go see him with no attitude or chip on my shoulder, I will just be someone who has an issue that they would like some help resolving. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that my dealer sold me what he thought was a quality piece. I firmly believe that he is a good guy.

My opinioin is that he is a good dealer. As a good dealer he should take this POS back. I could have gone through Buds Gun Shop or any number of other online dealers but I gave this guy the business. If he is going to pass on this problem to me and say that he can't help then that is fine, but he won't get another cent from me, ever.

He should have absolutely no trouble getting his money back from the distributor he purchased it from. The pistol showed up at his shop Friday afternoon. It has had precisely zero rounds put through it since then.

stuch77
03-04-2012, 06:18 PM
While I understand your sentiment jocko I have to say that any dealer who would pass on an item like this and then not refund the purchase price when it is discovered that said item is trash is not someone whom I want to do business with.

I will go see him with no attitude or chip on my shoulder, I will just be someone who has an issue that they would like some help resolving. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that my dealer sold me what he thought was a quality piece. I firmly believe that he is a good guy.

My opinioin is that he is a good dealer. As a good dealer he should take this POS back. I could have gone through Buds Gun Shop or any number of other online dealers but I gave this guy the business. If he is going to pass on this problem to me and say that he can't help then that is fine, but he won't get another cent from me, ever.

He should have absolutely no trouble getting his money back from the distributor he purchased it from. The pistol showed up at his shop Friday afternoon. It has had precisely zero rounds put through it since then. If he won't refund my nearly $800 purchase then he is in no way someone I will ever do business with again.

thats cool go in nice. if he says take it up with kahr then tell him you just lost my future business.

jocko
03-04-2012, 06:19 PM
well we wil lbe hopeing all goes well and do keep us infomred. If the dealer offers to getu a replacement,I would think u would work with him on that and give him the chance to make it right instead of insisting on a refund. If ur wife liked the gun, rest assured kahrs are not that way. something, somewhere went serioulsly wrong here as u well know..

remember, we are on ur side here,so what some have said is advice only, we ain't u and don't pretend to be. I love my kahrs and I have seen some phtos on this forum of someframeinternals that left alot to be desired but I have never seen one like yours, so my comments and others to are certainly in no way telling u what I would do or others, for I think even though soe say u can sand and smooth out the crapola, I don't think in my little mind they would stand for this if it was their gun. I cannot speak for them but I know I would not have . Just a shame one could not have seen this befrore 800 bucks changed hands either. One does not normally buy a gun and take it apart at thedealers place, so that is very understandable . Keep us posted and if it is a good dealer, then my betis thathe willget u a new replacement pronto.

jocko
03-05-2012, 10:48 AM
here is another analysis that I would ike to comment on to. This gun we at this time cannot pinpoint how it got that way either, as It has went from kahr to a distrubutor to ehd gun dealer to the owner. We are talking 4 different ownerships that we KNOW this gun has went through. No culprit yet has been found but here is what I think might have happened SOMEWHERE TO.

If u try to slip an MK9 frame on this gun with the MK barrel, or just the MK9 barrel.. the lug on the MK9 barrel is actually wider than the lug on the PM or cm9 barrel and this is gonna dig in right were we are seeing on this trigger area. I tend to think they are more of a dig mark than any heat mark. Now how can this possably have happened. I rest my case on that as again we just don't know.

stuch77
03-05-2012, 11:23 AM
dude fact this is kahr's fault 100%. its there product there name on it. it should have never went out there door.

its like saying your goodyear tire went bad and goodyear saying its not our fault its the rubber Co's that we used.

jocko
03-05-2012, 11:34 AM
well dude, if u noticed I never put the blame anywhere yet. u certainly seem to have a handle on this very well. It could indeed be kahrs fault, my point is this gun has went that we know of into 4 diffreret hands, are u willing to bet your farm that it is kahrs fault??? I would like to know more, maybe u don't. ...

stuch77
03-05-2012, 11:40 AM
kahrs brand new gun kahrs fault. you gotta lay off the kahr coolaid. i said mine looked the same way and kahr said it was normal. whats the odds my gun had a different slide put on at one time from one of the dealers hand the gun went through. i just lived with it because sand paper and a knife to it didn't bother me.

jocko
03-05-2012, 11:46 AM
dude fact this is kahr's fault 100%. its there product there name on it. it should have never went out there door.

its like saying your goodyear tire went bad and goodyear saying its not our fault its the rubber Co's that we used.

once that tire leaves Goodyear the storage warehouses and dealers can't fokk up the rubber. pick somethig that makes sense.

JimC
03-05-2012, 11:46 AM
kahrs brand new gun kahrs fault. you gotta lay off the kahr coolaid.

+1

This is a new pistol. It's on Kahr 100% to make this right for the OP and I feel that they will. Hopefully his dealer will help make this happen with Kahr.

The way Kahr Arms is viewed by some...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/KobraCarry/Miscellaneous/doginglasses.jpg

stuch77
03-05-2012, 11:54 AM
hers mine cleaned up by me shoots great. but still kahr bullcrap if you ask me

http://i40.tinypic.com/acv0qw.jpg

CJB
03-05-2012, 11:57 AM
I for one would resist calling that gun trash....until Kahr has its own input.

Its amazing how things can escalate to a stage that gets a bit over the top. Call Kahr and let them address the issues that concern you.

skiumah
03-05-2012, 12:17 PM
Call Kahr, they shouldn't be putting out stuff like that (if the damage occurred on their end that is)

jocko
03-05-2012, 12:26 PM
Call Kahr, they shouldn't be putting out stuff like that (if the damage occurred on their end that is)

his selling dealer has alot more input in getting him a new gun in exchange, Just send it back to the distrubutor andletthe distrubutoor sendit back to kahr if that be the case. A distrubutor has alot more dragwith kahr than an owner or a dealer even. It would be nice to know the date of birth of this gun to.

Popeye
03-05-2012, 01:09 PM
I have a KTp3at that needed a fluff and buff but that's a whole other game ,we're talking about there. .:eek:

jocko
03-05-2012, 01:14 PM
that was the general thing on the kt's and most that did um had no issues. I heard very little complaints about doing the F & B n ther kt forum. They had options to send it back as kt had a lifetimne warranty but it normaly took 4 to 8 weeks to get a gun back, so many opted to do some things for themselves...

JimC
03-05-2012, 02:21 PM
So, here we are nearly 23 hrs. after the original post and nothing back from the OP on this yet. :confused:
I would have been at my LGS/dealer as soon as he/she opened the door this morning looking for some type of satisfaction.

:behindsofa:

MLESa7990
03-05-2012, 02:26 PM
Most folks work on Mondays.

CinBrandon
03-05-2012, 02:26 PM
I just looked at my Kahr PM9 black. It is a 2006 model that I bought from a Sheriff deputy. It was his back-up gun / off duty carry gun. It does not look like those pictures... though it does need to be cleaned. :)

BTW: I love the gun... and still getting used to carrying regularly. Need to get a safe for it at home to keep little hands off it so i can keep it loaded.

Please keep us posted on the results from dealer / Kahr.

JimC
03-05-2012, 02:30 PM
Most folks work on Mondays.

Phone call?
Everyone has a cell phone today. ;)
I'm just sayin'

jerstolp
03-05-2012, 06:03 PM
i love my pm40, but u all make way too many excuses for kahr.. u know who u are..JUST A GUESS, but the number of guns,thatgoback for repair would double if we didnt fix them ourselvs. which is bs,and we shouldnt have to do it
they really need to get a grip on there qc.
ps and i know we dont have to fix them ourselvs,just sayin;)

jocko
03-05-2012, 06:10 PM
So, here we are nearly 23 hrs. after the original post and nothing back from the OP on this yet. :confused:
I would have been at my LGS/dealer as soon as he/she opened the door this morning looking for some type of satisfaction.

:behindsofa:

hopefully he is getting or waitig on some type of reply from someone. I would think his selling dealer wold bei the positi8on to work with the distributor he ordered it from . It is strangethough we hav enot heard back form him but I have no doubt that we will in time.

jocko
03-05-2012, 06:13 PM
I just looked at my Kahr PM9 black. It is a 2006 model that I bought from a Sheriff deputy. It was his back-up gun / off duty carry gun. It does not look like those pictures... though it does need to be cleaned. :)

BTW: I love the gun... and still getting used to carrying regularly. Need to get a safe for it at home to keep little hands off it so i can keep it loaded.

Please keep us posted on the results from dealer / Kahr.

is over 5 years old andhasover 32K rounds through it and my polmer frame rails are absolutely perfect. If there was any flashign on it when I bought it I evidently didn't pay anyt attention to it and in timne it just smoothed itself all out. Not puttinng the slide on wrong has saved grooving thefront polymer rails to. It can be damaged by improper installation.. My P380 was just as good when I got it to.

PJF
03-05-2012, 07:09 PM
I'm here guys, I'm not a hit and run poster!

Crazy things can happen in my line of work and I had absolutely zero chance of getting away to see my dealer today so the pistol just sat in the truck all day until just a bit ago.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a little less crazy and I will be able to go see the dealer who sold me the pistol.

I am a lot calmer tonight and if I came off like a jerk last night I apologize, that isn't who I am. I was just kind of spun up at the time.

AAR to follow tomorrow night when I have some more info.

jocko
03-05-2012, 07:16 PM
I sent u a PM, earlier today.

CJB
03-05-2012, 08:46 PM
I am a lot calmer tonight and if I came off like a jerk last night I apologize, that isn't who I am. I was just kind of spun up at the time.

Most understandable!!!!! No worries!!!!!

TriggerMan
03-05-2012, 09:41 PM
I'm speechless! Probably a good thing.

CJB
03-06-2012, 03:54 PM
Waiting.....

Allen
03-06-2012, 09:25 PM
I'm certainly glad I didn't see his pictures before ordering my first Kahr, a CM9, back the first of February. After reading this Forum for over a year before then it was hard enough to order one knowing all the problems owners have had, but to add a sight like that could have been the straw that broke the camel's back and sent me to a different brand. Thankfully mine ran the first 100 rounds perfect and the take-down/cleaning was absolutely flawless.
Really feel for the OP.

Scoundrel
03-06-2012, 09:50 PM
I'm here guys, I'm not a hit and run poster!

Crazy things can happen in my line of work and I had absolutely zero chance of getting away to see my dealer today so the pistol just sat in the truck all day until just a bit ago.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a little less crazy and I will be able to go see the dealer who sold me the pistol.

AAR to follow tomorrow night when I have some more info.

Just FYI, a month ago I bought a Smith & Wesson M&P AR-15 from Cabela's. Got it home (82 miles away) and found that it had a big nasty crack in the hammer. Talked to a manager at Cabela's and they made an exception to their normal policy which is "we'll send it to the MFG for you", and they swapped it for another unit (which I stripped completely down in the store) and re-did the transfer free of charge.

Your local dealer may decide to do the same, if he wants to keep your business (not that you should threaten him - he should already know the score).

If he has another PM9, ask to swap, strip it down and inspect it in the store. If he doesn't have another PM9, ask him to order one up for you and swap them, and let him work with Kahr to fix the ugly one.

You want a good PM9, right? You're more likely to end up with everyone happy in the end if you push for a swap rather than a refund, I think.

Good luck, whichever way you go.

WMD
03-07-2012, 07:35 AM
I'm certainly glad I didn't see his pictures before ordering my first Kahr, a CM9, back the first of February. After reading this Forum for over a year before then it was hard enough to order one knowing all the problems owners have had, but to add a sight like that could have been the straw that broke the camel's back and sent me to a different brand. Thankfully mine ran the first 100 rounds perfect and the take-down/cleaning was absolutely flawless.
Really feel for the OP.

Wow! I am glad we are not living in the old west. Sounds like we have a lynch mob here. Let's go find Mr. Kahr and hang him! ;) Seems on this forum you are guilty until proven innocent. :D

We do not know that Kahr let the gun go out like that. We do not know anything about the gun but what was seen in the pictures. I suggest if you have a PM9 (or CM9), pull it apart and look closely at the frame. Try to figure out how those marks could have gotten on the frame. I am refering to marks indicated by the red arrows.

I looked at my PM9 and could not see anything in that gun that can cause those marks. Looks to me like someone may have tried to install a barrel with a wider lug (e.g. MK9?) on the PM9 frame. The wider lug might cause those grooves. Maybe someone tried to put the top end of an MK9 on the PM9 frame just to see if it would fit? (Seems unlikely that would have been done at the factory) Who knows...? I am guessing.

Another observation.... it looks like there are tiny bits of polymer scattered around the frame (dustcover and magwell). I am guessing these bits came from the scratch which implies this was done recently. Doesn't Kahr shoot the guns then clean the guns before they send them out? This gun is clean but has those little polymer bits everywhere. Was the damage done after Kahr was finished with the gun?

The entire story raises a bunch of questions to me. My point is.... We do not know, so why take shots at Kahr (or anyone else?)?.

If I didn't purchase a vehicle because of complaints I read on the interenet, I would be walking! There is not one vehicle that doesn't have someone complaining about something. Anyway, I am guessing we never will find out what happened. It is a cosmetic issue. I bet the gun shoots fine just the way it is.

Not trying to be a wise guy or anything like that. Just thinking that maybe we are going a bit over the top on this issue. :)

Thunder71
03-07-2012, 07:49 AM
Doubt it "Brand new PM9, unfired".

PJF
03-07-2012, 07:59 AM
***UPDATE***

I went to see my dealer yesterday and he was just as surprised as I was about the condition of the frame. He had no trouble issuing a refund.

He had a CW9 in his shop and we opened it up and the frame was clean as a whistle. No casting flash, no scrapes, no dings, nothing. In fact it looked very nice and was spotlessly clean.

Strangely the CW9 only took about half the effort to draw the slide back on as the PM9 did. The other PM9's I have handled all took relatively little effort to rack the slide. I'm not sure if it is just because this gun was new but I have handled other NIB PM9's and they didn't require that much effort to rack. I believe that after this gun left the factory something bad happened to it before I got my hands on it.

Thank you to everyone who responded with advice. This does not sour me on Kahr firearms. I think this was a fluke.

My wife is thinking over now what she wants as her carry piece. I am trying to sway her towards another PM9. But she was quite unhappy about getting a NIB pistol like this, and it will be her gun, not mine. I will report back if she ends up with another PM9!

Thunder71
03-07-2012, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the update, glad your store took care of you - hope you stick around.

bandrich
03-07-2012, 08:05 AM
Glad it was taken care of for you. :D

JimC
03-07-2012, 08:11 AM
Your dealer is a stand up guy and is deserving of your business in the future for sure.

PYROhafe
03-07-2012, 08:17 AM
Glad to hear u got it worked out n ur not holding it against kahr. Ide say talk to wife into a cm9! Its not the pm, so it is a "different" gun haha. Cheaper too, so she can spend the savings at the range!

MW surveyor
03-07-2012, 08:19 AM
Your dealer is a stand up guy and is deserving of your business in the future for sure.

I'm definitely going to have to give this one a +1.

Deano
03-07-2012, 09:58 AM
Nice to hear there was a happy ending to the story. Also nice that your dealer took care of you.

After looking at your pictures, I took apart my CM9 for a closer look, and my polymer slide had a little scoring in one spot too. Is this a result of injection molding? Is that how they make these frames? liquid polymer doesn't quite fill the mold?

rmoody
03-07-2012, 10:22 AM
*sniffle* I just love a happy ending!

Glad your LGS worked with you, sounds like all is well.

JFootin
03-07-2012, 10:56 AM
Glad to hear u got it worked out n ur not holding it against kahr. Ide say talk to wife into a cm9! Its not the pm, so it is a "different" gun haha. Cheaper too, so she can spend the savings at the range!

Or, just slightly larger, the CW9 is a little cheaper and a really sweet shooter that she can grip with all her fingers. Let her handle one. I bet she'll go for it! :)

Scoundrel
03-07-2012, 11:00 AM
I suggest if you have a PM9 (or CM9), pull it apart and look closely at the frame. Try to figure out how those marks could have gotten on the frame. I am refering to marks indicated by the red arrows.

I just opened up my CM9. I don't have anything that looks like the red or magenta arrows.

I can see how, if the barrel did not fit into the gun properly, that it could make the magenta arrow scrape. I kind of angled and pushed on mine and dragged it back and forth a bit, but was unable to make a mark with it.

I DO have the flashing indicated by the yellow arrows. Mine looks very similar to the photo in that area. The flashing is still there after 3000+ rounds. Never noticed it before, never caused any problems.

Scoundrel
03-07-2012, 11:32 AM
***UPDATE***
But she was quite unhappy about getting a NIB pistol like this, and it will be her gun, not mine. I will report back if she ends up with another PM9!

Something to think about, and maybe share with the wife:

Have you ever purchased wheel cylinders at the local auto parts store to fix the brakes in your car? I did a lot of that before I started buying new cars. About 50% of the "brand new" wheel cylinders I bought ended up being junk, and here is why:

Unscrupulous people would buy wheel cylinders, take their old ones, spray them down with brake cleaner, wipe them off really good, put the old ones in the box, and return them to the store. Or, maybe they made a mistake during installation, the screwdriver slipped while they were putting the springs back on or something, and they would pierce the seal. Back in the box it goes, and back to the store with no mention of the damage. Then they'd go 5 miles to another store and buy another one.

The minimum wage guy behind the counter maybe peeks inside the box to make sure there is product in there, but he doesn't inspect it carefully, and it goes back on the shelf for the next guy to buy, discover the problem, and report it to the store.

Someone screwed with that gun after it left Kahr, didn't own up to their mistake, and it got back into circulation. Plain and simple.

Take her with you to the gun store, have her handle a few guns, and if she likes one, take the thing apart and inspect it. Your dealer sounds like he'd be totally fine with stripping it down right there on the counter, given what happened.

WMD
03-07-2012, 11:57 AM
I am really gla it worked out for you. Explain to your wife my analogy about buying a vehicle as stated in my last post. Every now and then something can happen. Doesn't mean they are all bad! :D

Best of luck with the new gun!

recoilguy
03-07-2012, 01:49 PM
It sounds like your LGS is a very good place. That is why people should frequent their LGS and support them, they do support you.

RCG

Bad_Brains
03-07-2012, 02:20 PM
As much as Kahr's cost you would think their QC would be topnotch; but it isn't. Remember when Taurus guns were crap? You still didn't see things like this. Not even Star or Llama was this bad. My buddy has a Jennings and even it's machining is better. When I bought my CM9 I followed the break in procedure exactly. I've had a buttload of forearms but I've never had to rack the slide and dryfire one before shooting it. I have always just disassembled them, cleaned them, polished the feed ramp (as is my custom) and fired atleast 200 rounds through it before saying it's dependable for carry.
I guess I was fortunate. Mine works 100% and is surprisingly accurate. I love the way it carries in my front jeans pocket. The only two complaints I have are that the mag wouldn't fall free. It was like a 1st Gen Glock. I used my dreminel tool and ground some of the mag guide rails down some inside of the grip, then I polished them and the mad. The mag drops free now. I also wish that the bottom of the mag seated flush with the grip frame. That gap doesn't affect my shooting but it sure is ugly and I say that bad engineering.
I must admit that due the bad reports and horror stories I've read that I was reluctant to buy my CM9.

Bawanna
03-07-2012, 03:17 PM
It's worth noting that the proper prep guidelines, racking and such are merely suggestions. They aren't carved in stone and passed down from the mountain. In most cases the guns will run right out of the box. It certainly can't hurt. They are tight guns and Kahr is up front letting us know they need some break in.

On mine I didn't do any racking. I did disassemble and completely took the slide apart mostly because there were lots of reports of crap in the striker channel and I wanted to see first hand. Mine was absolutely spotless inside. I didn't do a thing in there. The striker was lightly oiled, I wiped it off, stuck a q tip down the channel and off we went.

Incidently I've had nothing but good luck with Stars and Llama's. Maybe I'm just lucky sometimes. Certainly not always.

WMD
03-09-2012, 07:15 AM
As much as Kahr's cost you would think their QC would be topnotch; but it isn't. Remember when Taurus guns were crap? You still didn't see things like this. Not even Star or Llama was this bad. My buddy has a Jennings and even it's machining is better. When I bought my CM9 I followed the break in procedure exactly. I've had a buttload of forearms but I've never had to rack the slide and dryfire one before shooting it. I have always just disassembled them, cleaned them, polished the feed ramp (as is my custom) and fired atleast 200 rounds through it before saying it's dependable for carry.
I guess I was fortunate. Mine works 100% and is surprisingly accurate. I love the way it carries in my front jeans pocket. The only two complaints I have are that the mag wouldn't fall free. It was like a 1st Gen Glock. I used my dreminel tool and ground some of the mag guide rails down some inside of the grip, then I polished them and the mad. The mag drops free now. I also wish that the bottom of the mag seated flush with the grip frame. That gap doesn't affect my shooting but it sure is ugly and I say that bad engineering.
I must admit that due the bad reports and horror stories I've read that I was reluctant to buy my CM9.

Not that I am drinking the Kahr koolaid but again..... Why are you so sure this issue is a Kahr problem? If youread my post, you may understand why it doesn't look like a Kahr issue to me. You speak of bad Kahr quality but then state, and I quote "......Mine works 100% and is surprisingly accurate."

You then say "The only two complaints I have are that the mag wouldn't fall free. It was like a 1st Gen Glock." I guess Glocks have bad quality too? Sounds like you are basing your opinions on hearsay and not actual experience.

I just bought a brand new Ford F150. Didn't have it for a month and had to replace a rear shock because it had blown out. I guess Ford has some serious quality issues huh? I do not think so.

BTW, I bought my PM9 brand new and did not perform any of the "tips" on this site and have never had a single issue with it. As you say, it is incredibally accurate and is a great (if not the best) CCW.

Again, if you are looking for quality issues to complain about that are real, look at the whitehouse! :D