PDA

View Full Version : New Member: PM9 Break-In Tonight

Reacher
03-06-2012, 11:15 AM
Just wanted to say hello and thanks for the great info. I settled on a PM9 as my CCW (replacing a SA XD9sc) after looking at the G26/G27, G36, LC9, Rohrbaugh, Bobeck and Beretta Nano.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v71/sonicwrx/448ebcb8.jpg

I already had my range bag packed for the 200 round break-in after work today then stumbled onto this forum late last night. I read into the wee morning hours and decided to get up early and clean/lube/multi-slide-rack before work today. I slept a little late but got everything done except for the feedramp polishing (didn't want the Dremel to wake the household).

Tonight I'm putting 200 rounds of 115gr FMJ through it and will hopefully have a good outing.

For holsters I have ordered a De Santis Nemesis and a Concealment Solutions Micro Mamba. Hoping to go IWB most of the time. If it shoots as good as it looks then I will have found my carry gun for years to come.

jocko
03-06-2012, 11:20 AM
u sholuld love the desantis, It is my favorit pocket holster and has been for over 5 years. jtake ur time withthe PM9, it is one super gun, being u read the prep thread anbd lube thread, u just now need to shoot it like u stole it. More than likely ur feed ramp is perfect anyhow. IMO kinda complimentary to kahr when u passed over the guns u mentioned. Theya re all good guns.:behindsofa:

we do expect a report though.

Reacher
03-06-2012, 04:59 PM
Range Report

OK, I'm impressed. I fired 200 rounds of 115gr FMJ reloads and had zero failures. The slide did not lock back a few times but that's minor.

I had a hard time getting used to that l-o-n-g travel on the trigger, but the release is sweet. Most of my errors were heeling or thumbing; with my big hands it's hard to get comfy.

Recoil is less than I expected.

I could sense the gun loosening up after 100 rounds or so. By the end it didn't have the out-of-box tightness.

So thanks again for getting me off on the right foot. This gun's a winner!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v71/sonicwrx/66ff983b.jpg

jocko
03-06-2012, 05:07 PM
hell u did it all!! nice post. sometimes ther recoil springs are very stout at first and after a few hundred or so rounds the slide will start locking open all the time. Also normal range fodder is not the same as +P ammo either and hotter ammo keeps thesldie doing what it shoudl Ur OK, nice post darn good shootin.

keep an eye on that thumb to as that is a good culprit for slide locking kand not locking issues. seems one does not even know they are hitting that lever. Just sayin.

jerstolp
03-06-2012, 06:25 PM
awsome ..... if you dont like the nemesis, i got a new superfly u can have if u want it.. i cant pocket my pm40.
free of charge of course;)

Reacher
03-06-2012, 06:33 PM
Wow, nice offer. Sure I'll give it a try. I've heard good things about both, I'll try both out and give away the one I don't want to keep. I'll PM you my address.

jerstolp
03-06-2012, 07:11 PM
cool.

PYROhafe
03-06-2012, 07:21 PM
Welcome aboard Reacher! Glad you found us... sorry we kept you up so late (cant say I havent done it!) Congrats on a great gun, and some sweet groups!
Dang jerstolp... wish i would have known you were such a nice person! ive been wantin to try the superfly... whatever one you decide to give up reacher, let me know! I need a pocket holster for my cm!

cgpeanut
03-06-2012, 07:30 PM
Nice shootin Reacher! and congrats on your new PM9! now eventualy you will have to clean the striker channel, when I took mine apart to clean for the 1st time after 250 rounds of NATO ammo breakin, I noticed there was a couple of very thin metal slivers inside from machining no biggie I think you have to do this at least once, then use the cleanning hole provided after, there's a very good take down tutorial in this forum to do this. and yes, the cut down cloths hanger tool really work! :)

YES that trigger needs time to get use to, compared to the Ruger SR9c I have it's night an day, it's part of the Kahr's design safety. simple and effective.

Enjoy! I too will be heading down the range tomorrow to try out the new Meprolight Night sight I installed last week on my PM9.

Reacher
03-06-2012, 08:03 PM
Welcome aboard Reacher! Glad you found us... sorry we kept you up so late (cant say I havent done it!) Congrats on a great gun, and some sweet groups!
Dang jerstolp... wish i would have known you were such a nice person! ive been wantin to try the superfly... whatever one you decide to give up reacher, let me know! I need a pocket holster for my cm!

Thanks very much. Nice to be here.

And for sure. I'll evaluate both and then send you the one that doesn't work for me. Pay it forward, right?

Reacher
03-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Nice shootin Reacher! and congrats on your new PM9! now eventualy you will have to clean the striker channel...

Enjoy! I too will be heading down the range tomorrow to try out the new Meprolight Night sight I installed last week on my PM9.

And thanks to you. I will keep an eye on it. At least I have a place for the info on how to do it now.

I will look for your impressions of the sights.

JLeephoto
03-06-2012, 08:17 PM
Welcome. Good handle. Jack Reacher is one of my favorite protagonists, may you be as deadly with your new Kahr.
When you get ready to do a detail strip, be sure to make one of those coat hanger tools for the stryker spring. I just struggled to put in a 5lb. Wolf, and wished I followed that advice.

Reacher
03-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Yes, me too. I have read them all. He's a very cool guy. Too bad Tom Cruise was chosen to play him in the Reacher film. :-)

I'll check out the coat hanger tool for sure.

CJB
03-06-2012, 09:23 PM
That is some fine shootin'

OldLincoln
03-06-2012, 09:44 PM
Wow, Jack! Seems you and your new gun have bonded very well. That's a bright spot in my day to see that. Thank You.

PS: Are you really 6/4" and an ex-Seal who whips any 6 normal Rangers and can walk barefoot through a mine field littered with broken glass and not flinch? Just wondering you know. BTW, I love your books.

Reacher
03-07-2012, 04:45 AM
Thanks kindly CJB. It's easier to shoot than I imagined it would be. I always force myself to paste up the little 6" x 7" NRA 25' targets. Aim small, miss small.

And Lincoln: Yes, I am 6'4" and 250 lbs, but not nearly the barrel of whupa$$ that the real Mr. Reacher is, hence the CCW. :w00t:

Reacher
03-07-2012, 03:47 PM
Got the Nemesis today. It fits the gun well but definitely will not work in the slash pockets of the cargo pants I tend to favor. You can see the grip of the gun very easily if you're standing beside me.

It does fit in the leg pocket, but just adds weight and no real concealment advantage. Will have to see how the that Superfly does when it gets here.

Popeye
03-07-2012, 05:03 PM
Good luck with the new PM9. Mine also put my XDsc up for sale along with a couple others.;)

PYROhafe
03-14-2012, 06:34 AM
Reacher.... u get to try out that superfly yet? I can't decide if I wanna go with a pocket holster like that or somethin like a remora that can be used as a pocket holster.... wonderin what u were thinkin about em.

Reacher
03-14-2012, 07:04 AM
I have not received the Superfly from jerstolp yet, but did try the Nemesis. For the pants I normally wear the Nemesis is not going to work (too bulky). I will have to see if the Superfly is any better.

JFootin
03-14-2012, 09:57 AM
I have not received the Superfly from jerstolp yet, but did try the Nemesis. For the pants I normally wear the Nemesis is not going to work (too bulky). I will have to see if the Superfly is any better.

The Superfly is worse, even without the square panel. The Remora is way thick, too. The PM9 is already at the upper limit of size and thickness for pocket carry. Aholster has a Kydex Pocket Holster (http://lefthandholster.com/Pocket_Holster.php) that is as thin as it gets. Galco and El Paso have Horsehide Pocket Holsters (http://gunholstersunlimited.com/el-paso-pocket-max-pocket-holster-ambidextrous-natural-kahr-pm9-pm40-mk9-mk40-pmpm9-1.html?cat_id=79) that are very thin. And any leather one will be thinner than the nylon holsters, although the Unkle Mike's #3 Pocket holster is pretty thin, but not real sturdy and won't stay open to reinsert your gun. (I have done a lot of experimentation! :biggrin1:)

jocko
03-14-2012, 10:55 AM
but the uncle mikes is what it is a very thin front pocket gun. granted u hve to take the holster back out ofur pocket toreinsert, but i guess I have to ask how often is that. My PM9 sits in my uncle mikes 24/7, goes in my pocket that way and it being the only thing in my pocket it never comes out until I come back home and take it out of my pocket, again the gun stays there all the time. IMO no front pocket holstert is going to be a catch all for all ur want. Each holster has it pluses and negatives. In jeans practically no pocke t holster is easy to reinsert the gun. Just saying.

I don't dress to carry so my desantis and uncle mikes #3 works juust fine. I have carried for over 48 years and never had to ever draw out of my pocket in defense, so for me I guess it is a mute point.

can't prove it but My guess is that if a person has to dress to carry that many times he will not carry, just because he is not dressed for his type of carry. Front pocket carry is not the fastest area to draw agun out of but we are also not at the OK Corral either but it sure can be the place of 24/7 carry IMO. Just sayin.

JFootin
03-14-2012, 02:02 PM
So true, jocko. I kept the Uncle Mike's and got rid of the rest: returned the Remora for a refund, sold the Superfly, sold the El Paso (kinda miss it, though - good holster). Just giving an brain dump of my experiences.

Reacher
03-15-2012, 08:22 PM
I appreciate all the feedback guys. I will eventually land on something that works for me. Got the Concealed Solutions Micro-Mamba today. It needs some breaking in, but looks nicely made. Very similar to the Crossbreed, but not as expensive and only took a few days to get. The only negative I see so far is the Kahr's slide release catches the edge of the leather backer when re-holstering. (RH carry)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v71/sonicwrx/8163039e.jpg