PDA

View Full Version : can't get magazine bottom off

BOBBO268
03-06-2012, 12:44 PM
so when i sent my cm9 to kahr, the bottom of the magazine could be pushed off with my finger alone, loaded or unloaded. I'm trying to take it apart now and the thing is so tight, i can't get it off the bottom. I've put in 3 nails to compress the spring, starting closest to the follower, and i pushed the tab in, and slid the bottom just far enough to keep the tab down (barely at all) and it wont budge. I'm using a phillips screwdriver to push the tab and attempting to slide the bottom at the same time, NOTHING!! whats the trick?

ripley16
03-06-2012, 01:07 PM
You shouldn't have to mess with the spring at all. Just push the button on the bottom of the base plate in far enough to release the base and allow it to move forward. Once it moves a short distance, cover the bottom with your thumb to prevent the spring and interior base plate piece from flying away. That's it.

during reassembly, some people will push the spring in and capture it with a rod through the lowest witness hole in order to relieve some of the spring's pressure.

Good luck.

BOBBO268
03-06-2012, 01:10 PM
the problem is the plate is too tight and wont slide off...

gb6491
03-06-2012, 01:25 PM
Depress the tab a little further and slide your screwdriver in enough that you can angle it to position the tip against the back wall of the magazine. Then lever the plate off by pushing the handle of the screwdriver towards the front of the magazine.
Regards,
Greg

Scoundrel
03-06-2012, 03:21 PM
Gee, thanks, guys. I was curious about what might be happening here, started messing with one of my magazines, and busted myself in the nose with the spring.

jocko
03-06-2012, 04:10 PM
those witness round holes are good eye savers when takeing that bottom plate off, slide anything through it, be it a nail or what ever and it might save ur eyesight, let alone be easier to reinstall..

BOBBO268
03-06-2012, 10:44 PM
So i had to put the thing in my vice, with the nails through it to keep it from sliding out (without squeezing too hard) then i used a nail punch and a hammer to knock the plate off, (yes the tab was already in all the way)... it was just that tight

Scoundrel
03-06-2012, 10:45 PM
I guess Kahr decided to "fix" that for you. Can you loosen it up any?

BOBBO268
03-06-2012, 10:59 PM
i'd rather leave it tight, i shouldn't have to take it off that often and it sure beats falling off when full of bullets.... kind of messy :)