PDA

View Full Version : New CM9 user review

dschuetz26
03-06-2012, 07:22 PM
I have now shot about 500 rds through it...

PROS: Very accurate, great sights (fully adjustable), smooth trigger pull; very easy to conceal with the Galco M7X holster I bought; recoil is less offensive than the LCP and other similar sub-compacts in .380 I have shot and finally... no external safety (but that is my personal preference), Great customer service.

CONS: Long trigger pull (long but very manageable for quick succession); sharp edge on the slide at the front of the ejection port (but that fixes easily with a fine file), very stiff recoil spring made manually locking the slide back difficult until I got used to treating it like a gun and not a piece of china. And for the worst of it... The floor plate of the flush fit 6rd magazine slid roght off the bottom of the magazine while I was doing a tactical reload and pressing the bottom of the mag upward to seat it. The shooter next to me had my magazine spring hit him in the leg and all my rounds land on his feet. (ALWAYS CARRY A SPARE MAG NO MATTER WHAT GUN YOU CARRY!).

On another positive note, I immediately contacted the western region sales rep for Kahr via email, explaining the issue. He personally called me a few hours later and we discussed the problem. Of course I expressed my dissatisfaction with the design of that magazine. Ultimately I discovered that the floor plate on the standard included magazine in the CW9 fit the 6rd mag from the CM9. I contacted the rep again and he had two of those floor plates to me in a couple days, no cost. He repeatedly told me they would do what it took to make me happy. And I am thoroughly pleased with this gun. Overall rating in my book is a 8 out of 10.

Thunder71
03-06-2012, 07:31 PM
My only comment is that one of your pros contradicts one of your cons, the long trigger pull 'is' the external safety. :)

Sounds like you've got a shooter there, glad their Customer Service came through for you, welcome to Kahr Talk and congratulations on a great carry gun.

jocko
03-06-2012, 07:37 PM
alittle squeeze on that floor plate channel with some plier would have tightened it up OK, mor ethan likely but it seems u were taken care of fast and furious.

thunder is right, ur 3/8" trigger pull is ur external safety, it will take u some round sto get used to this trigger system, It is what it is, this ain't no target gun but it will save ur life when needed. and ur right this is a tool not china that u eat off of, assuming u are talking about china in plates and not that chinky country that floods us with cheapo sh-t. Notice ur kahr is AMERICAN MADE../

n9znd
03-06-2012, 07:51 PM
I took my CM9 to the range for the first time last Sat. Night. In Love. Had 1 nose dive around the 40th round and 2 no trigger resets (my fault i think). Had 2 mags with Pierce finger ext. and 2 without. Hated the mags with the ext. They pinched the crap out of me. I have shot plenty of revolvers before and just got rid of a Ruger LC9 (very long trigger pull) but I shot low left with the CM9. Shot 180 rounds total and the low left went to mostly left. I did have a couple of groups that all went in the same hole a 7 yards,but most was a little spread out. I know that I will get better with the CM9 after a few hundred rounds. My problem I have has 4 diferent guns in the last month and I am confused:rolleyes:. Even though I have been through a little journey of guns lately I think I found a gun that I love. The Kahr CM9 is a keeper. Jim

jocko
03-06-2012, 08:17 PM
low left, so so typical of a right hand shooter, am I right ???It willget better, practice close get good at 7 yards, try POA SHOOTING, AS THIS IS A DEFENSE GUN NOT atarget gun. Thelooooong but smooth trigger willeven get smoother with more rounds out of it.

Keep an eye on the trigger reset.u hav eto let up totally on thetrigger and after awhile it will be normal. Haveu given the gun a good throghcleaning and lubing,???? read the kahr tech section on two good stickys

#1kahr lube chart

#2propper prepping of ur kahr.

dschuetz26
03-06-2012, 09:23 PM
My only comment is that one of your pros contradicts one of your cons, the long trigger pull 'is' the external safety. :)

Sounds like you've got a shooter there, glad their Customer Service came through for you, welcome to Kahr Talk and congratulations on a great carry gun.

Sorry for the contradiction, I forget that some consider that a safety mechanism... When I mentioned an external safety I was talking about a manually operated lever that prevents the trigger from depressing, firing pin from striking the primer etc. I understand the purpose of the long trigger for "pocket" guns is to give the shooter a little extrea time to realize they have stuck their finger in the trigger guard before accidentally discharging the gun in your pocket when grabbing the gun.

n9znd
03-07-2012, 07:10 AM
I did all the prep on the gun before I went and shot it. The Nose Dive was on the second round in the mag. Not worried though. I am right handed. I know the LL is all me. I know that they are not target gun but it is nice to hit what you are aiming at. I am a decent shot for the most part and I am sure I will shoot this gun well also with more practice. I had a couple of groups at 1-2 inches but I am not consistant in doing that. What could more fun than practicing more :D. Jim

Thunder71
03-07-2012, 07:17 AM
Sorry for the contradiction, I forget that some consider that a safety mechanism... When I mentioned an external safety I was talking about a manually operated lever that prevents the trigger from depressing, firing pin from striking the primer etc. I understand the purpose of the long trigger for "pocket" guns is to give the shooter a little extrea time to realize they have stuck their finger in the trigger guard before accidentally discharging the gun in your pocket when grabbing the gun.

Was all in fun, I know what you meant. :cool: