PDA

View Full Version : PM45 On Order

eshane
03-07-2012, 09:42 AM
I just placed an order at my local shop for all black pm45 with night sites. Hopefully be in tomorrow. It's been a long process trying to decide on the carry gun I wanted. I finally settled on the pm45 after, I can't wait to get the break in done and start carrying. Any specific advice for a new comer to the kahr lineup, specifically during break in?

jerstolp
03-07-2012, 10:01 AM
just read everything u can on here, follow the advice, and have fun. dont get frustrated if u get some probs. give the gun a chance.. the pm45 is awsome.. im kinda thinking about trying to trade my pm40 for a pm45:)

eshane
03-07-2012, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the reply, I'm really pumped about this gun. My buddy has a pm40 and was really the one that convinced me to go with the kahr over a baby glock or 3 inch 1911. Hope to post some pics and my first impressions this weekend.

Bawanna
03-07-2012, 10:10 AM
Your gonna love it. Look in the tech section and read the proper prep thread and the lube thread. Just use factory ball ammo for break in. If you reload they seem to prefer shorter OAL's.

Great gun and we'll look forward to your pictures and report.

Ugg, I think you gotta get 30 post before you can post a picture but join in and 30 post will go by quickly or you can send them to me and I'll post for ya, we're sorely lacking in new gun pictures here of late. And if the guns dirty in the pictures, that's perfectly OK too.

eshane
03-07-2012, 10:19 AM
Good deal. I may have the 30 posts by the weekend, of not I'll send some pics to you. Thanks again. I'm headed to the tech threads now.

DKD
03-07-2012, 10:19 AM
I have had mine for over a year and a half now and love it. Initially follow the prep for your new Kahr. It is a tight weapon so racking the slide a couple hundre time after a good claening & lubing is in order.
I had a few FTF's and one or two failure to go into full lock up early on in the first 100 rounds but a quick nudge did the trick. Mine also used to dot my forehead on extracted casings, but went away shortly after the first two boxes of shells. Both of my Kahr's (PM9 & PM45) liked to be run well lubed espcially during the break in process. By the way do not I say again do not oil the striker channel assembly. That area is best left dry. They aslo recommend that it get a a good blasting with non chloronated break cleaner when you prep the pistol.
I also would recommend a rubber grip sleeve cause that grip checkering is a real cheese grater on the web of your hand. I used a Hogue Jr. others hear use a 2.75" bike inner tube cur to fit the grip. It will sure make that grip really comfortable. Don't wast much time with the six round magazine...exchange it for another five rounder as a spare.
Recoil is very nice for such a light pistol in 45 ACP caliber. I really like mine...good luck & enjoy!

Bawanna
03-07-2012, 10:39 AM
I totally agree on the innertube. The grip was just too sharp for me, in fact I never shot it without the tube and had to postpone my first range trip. My fingers hurt so bad from fondling it that I didn't feel like shooting it.

The tube still allows an excellent grip, doesn't take up much space and is way more comfy on the hand.
I've since done a stipple job on mine which eliminated the need for the sleeve.

eshane
03-07-2012, 10:47 AM
Awesome info... I'll pick up a tube to get me through break in and then decide what I want to do permanently.

ncdmz
03-07-2012, 11:31 AM
I just returned from the range after shooting my first 150 rounds through my new PM45. A couple of observations:

1. After 20 rounds, I walked into the store portion of the range and bought a Hogue mini-grip. Took care of the discomfort of the stippled grip immediately.

2. After 30 rounds, I again returned to the store and purchased a UpLULA magazine loader. Took care of the discomfort of reloading the magazines by hand and made me wonder why I didn't purchase it years ago for my 1911s.

3. Out of 150 rounds shot, I had one FTE on the last magazine and I KNEW it was due to an inadequate grip on the PM45.

4. Having shot 1911s for the past 30 years, the trigger pull was surprisingly very pleasant, the PM45 very accurate, and my satisfaction of purchasing such a small .45 complete.

5. I cleaned the weapon when I first brought it home last week (it did appear to have a lot of grease on it, but no dirt) then performed the procedures listed in the "Prep Section".

6. I will be purchasing some Brakcleen on my way home from work to help in cleaning the weapon tonight.

Overall, I'm VERY impressed with the performance of this weapon and will start carrying it as my CC weapon as soon as my IWB holsters arrive. If you're experience is anything like mine, you're going to be impressed too.

Looks like my 1911s will be getting a break from daily carry.

David Z.

PYROhafe
03-07-2012, 11:41 AM
Make sure u get the non-chlorinated cleaner. Its "safe" for plastics

eshane
03-07-2012, 12:57 PM
Any opinions on defense loads that the pm45 eats well? I typically like to get through 50 rounds of my defense loads after successful break in before I carry daily. I have used Remington golden saber in my other 45s.

Bawanna
03-07-2012, 01:10 PM
I carry Speer Gold Dot in mine. I've shot Winchester SXT's with no issues. I think most defense rounds will work fine. Except for the too long issue they really are not ammo sensitive.

DKD
03-07-2012, 01:59 PM
As far as I can tell, mine eats just about everything I had fed it to date...Federal Hydra-Shocks, FMJ Hard Ball by American & Speer, personal FMJ Hand Loads, and Gold Dots. I even Hand loaded some 185 grain Golden Sabers and they cycled just fine.
For carrying I really like the 200 grain Gold Dots....that hollow point looks like a flying garbage can going backwards. This is just my personal opinion, but I feel that I can make up a little bit of velocity back from the shorter 3" barrel over the 230 grainers, and feel they will expand a bit better.....theory right at the monment...too lazy to drag out the chronograph to illustrate my point. I know BAWANNA likes them 230 grain Gold Dots.

Bawanna
03-07-2012, 02:15 PM
I mostly like them cause I use them in my full size 45's and wanted to stay the same across the board. I do have a bunch of Hornady 185 grainers I've been pondering loading just for the PM45 but have not got around to it.
Since I like to carry factory ammo for carry and plead dumb in court if I get involved in a bad thing it really don't matter much. If I did find that they shoot way better I might try to find a factory lighter bullet but it shoot darn fine with the 230's.

eshane
03-07-2012, 02:24 PM
I may give the gold dots a try. Really hoping the shop calls tomorrow and says my gun is in. Feel like a kid on Christmas eve. Next issue to tackle is the holster, I will most likely set up a pocket rig to handle 90% of my carry time, other 10% would I'd like to carry iwb or sob. I know a lot of people are not fans of sob carry but this has worked well in the past for me and we likely keep carrying this way at least part time.

Bawanna
03-07-2012, 03:11 PM
I think unless you have very large pockets the PM45 is gonna stretch the limit for pocket carry, just a tad large.

There are a multitude of good belt holsters. I'm fond of Garrets' Silent Thunder, there are many others.

I carry mine in a ankle rig I got from the Kahr shop, it has a CT laser on it as well. It's primarily a backup gun to my 1911 during the week. It moves to the waist line usually on weekends around the house.

eshane
03-07-2012, 03:25 PM
Hmmmm... Will test out the pocket carry and see how it goes. I've found that the pockets on ll bean chinos are quite large but as you say they may not be big enough. If not I'll be going to the waist.

eshane
03-08-2012, 06:05 AM
I took a look at the silent thunder last night online. I liked the look of them. That will make the list of potential iwb holsters. Thanks again for all the advice. Glad to be a part of the kahr family.

Bawanna
03-08-2012, 09:22 AM
Ron and Sheryl are extremely good to deal with. They even occasionally make special offers for kahrtalk members and always for Law Enforcement and Military folks.
If your not happy I don't think they are happy and they will work with you or refund your loot. It's a no risk purchase which is kind of rare these days.

I have 2 so far with plans for a few more. I don't work for them yet and receive no compensation either YET. Day ain't over yet though either.

stuch77
03-08-2012, 09:53 AM
i pocket carry my cw45 everyday. easy in ocean pacific cargo shorts it barely prints. i use a blackhawk #4. great holster and cheap $16. I'am running rem golden sabre 185gr Hp's non +p's.

eshane
03-10-2012, 06:24 AM
Well I picked up my new pm yesterday and put 300 rounds through it at my local range. I broke it down and cleaned it before the range trip, I must say I was pretty clean out of the box. I was excited about that after reading some of the reviews of how dirty some others were. I was most excited about the performance as it ate 300 rounds. I had one FTF on the 39th round and once it failed to go into full battery. Overall accuracy was great and I loved the night sights. Hoping to pick up a holster this week and let the pm start its duty as my carry pistol.

jerstolp
03-10-2012, 06:39 AM
nice.. for a iwb holster try Tommy Theis holsters there awsome. more comfy than my minituck. for carry ammy try to find winchester ranger's or federal hst,inmho none beat these i think the ranger's bonbed bullet gets the edge though. but there both great

jerstolp
03-10-2012, 06:44 AM
http://theisholsters.com/index.php

Tinman507
03-10-2012, 07:04 AM
+1 on Theis holsters. Tommy is a good guy and will work with you for whatever you need.