PDA

View Full Version : CM9 for Glove Box Duty?

Thunder71
03-07-2012, 01:12 PM
I've decided to no longer sell/trade guns and to keep my trusty Kahr firearms regardless if I get a Springfield XDs or not.

That said, I've often wondered how a CM9 would hold up as a glove box gun. Since I live in Minnesota we deal with not only extreme dry cold but rather high heat and humidity as well.

Thoughts?

Sent using Tapatalk on Android

recoilguy
03-07-2012, 01:24 PM
I have and carry a CW9 and also live in MN. The heat and humidity of the summer do not effect the guns performance but I do not leave it in a glove box. The winter I don't carry it I go for a bigger gun and the Kahr goes in the safe. i have shot it in the very cold....-5F at a club event last winter and it shot nicely. That was not a prolonged exposure to cold though like only 2 hours. It will be a cool glove box gun to have though.

RCG

Popeye
03-07-2012, 01:51 PM
Good question. Just speaking for myself here I'm not sure I'd use any small framed semi auto pistol as a car/truck pistol. I think a more duty type pistol would be the best bet if your going semi auto. I use a Glock 26 for my motorcycle and truck gun. Not promoting Glocks just that that's the way things worked out, with that purpose in mind.

Thunder71
03-07-2012, 01:55 PM
My thought was that my carry guns are an MK9 and PM9, so they would share magazines and shoot the same, for the most part.

Popeye
03-07-2012, 02:00 PM
MK9 and PM9 now there are two sweeeet pistols.:D

Thunder71
03-07-2012, 02:09 PM
MK9 and PM9 now there are two sweeeet pistols.:D

I enjoy them a bunch. :-)

DKD
03-07-2012, 02:15 PM
My first Kahr was an MK9. I carried it for a while, and although it shot real well I figured out I liked the PM9 alot more due to its lighter weight for the same size pistol. Long story short I ended up with both and the MK9 went into the safe...I figured if I was going to carry a 22 oz pistol for another 1.5 ounces I could carry either my Clot Defender or Ultra Raptor both in 45 ACP.
So just before Christmass I sold it so that I could buy my wife a nice Christmass present. It was a very nice pistol, just a waste sitting in my gun safe.

muggsy
03-07-2012, 02:16 PM
I've decided to no longer sell/trade guns and to keep my trusty Kahr firearms regardless if I get a Springfield XDs or not.

That said, I've often wondered how a CM9 would hold up as a glove box gun. Since I live in Minnesota we deal with not only extreme dry cold but rather high heat and humidity as well.

Thoughts?

Thunder, I'd be more concerned with what heat will do to the ammunition, not the gun. Ammo is supposed to be stored in a cool dry place. I don't think that storing the pistol in your glove box will do anything to the gun, but a glove box or console is easy pickings for a thief.

bonjorno2
03-07-2012, 02:34 PM
put the cm9 on your ankle, carry the mk9 and get a snubby for your glove box

Thunder71
03-07-2012, 02:44 PM
I do have a 642, PM9 on ankle and MK9 on waist. Just liked the idea of them being similar formats, good food for thought so far, thanks.

ltxi
03-07-2012, 04:35 PM

Thoughts?

No worries. If your car/truck will start, so will your gun.

Popeye
03-07-2012, 04:57 PM
I personally don't think it would bother the ammo to much if you just rotated and shot them off at the range and replaced them every couple months. One sure way to find out though is to take a couple rounds leave them in the glovebox for about six months and see if they shoot.
I'd be suprised if they didn't shoot just fine. Have to remember some mil surplus ammo has been stored for years and not all those places were cool and dry.

PYROhafe
03-07-2012, 05:22 PM
might be a dumb one here but.... what kind of temps would the ammo have to reach to combust? I know in the summer the car can get well over 100... dont think thats hi enough, but does anyone know for sure? Ide like to eventually add one of these wonderful kahrs to my glovebox (i secretly wanna be like Thunder71 haha)

Reacher
03-07-2012, 05:30 PM
My new PM9 has relegated the XD9sc to console duty using a modified XD Gear holster:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v71/sonicwrx/image.jpg

bonjorno2
03-07-2012, 05:35 PM
I do have a 642, PM9 on ankle and MK9 on waist. Just liked the idea of them being similar formats, good food for thought so far, thanks.

there you go throw that 642 in the box and forget about it.... It's just a back up or if you are closer to the gbox grab it first.... The ammo won't be a issue in the car imo.. I've left my gun in my car a few times here in florida and have had no issues, and I shoot my carry ammo every 4-8 months and rotate new rounds in the mix.

Thunder71
03-07-2012, 05:59 PM
Probably the best idea really. Save my dough for the 9mm XDs when it comes out.

Popeye
03-07-2012, 06:33 PM
Probably the best idea really. Save my dough for the 9mm XDs when it comes out.

I know I'm going to be giving the XDs 9mm a good looking over when they come out. I had a XD9sc but found it to be to thick,blocky and heavy for EDC pistol. Can't say it wasn't a good accurate and reliable pistol.

CJB
03-07-2012, 06:46 PM
The only problem with a CM9 in the glovebox, is that there's room in there for a CW45!

Thunder71
03-07-2012, 06:48 PM
The only problem with a CM9 in the glovebox, is that there's room in there for a CW45!

LOL

My first handgun was the XDM9 Compact, thought it would be my carry gun, like you it was too thick and heavy.

BrewerGeorge
03-08-2012, 10:30 PM
I prefer a revolver for my truck gun, but it's hard to argue with your reasoning about compatibility. You didn't mention holster compatibility, but that's there, too. For me, one of the purposes of keeping the pistol in my truck is so I can arm myself after leaving somewhere I can't carry. For instance, I cannot carry while at work, but I only live one mile away so I'm not going to the trouble of putting on and removing my CM9 or G26 just to drive that mile. Without the truck gun, that means that if I want to go somewhere immediately after work I would have to stop by the house if I wanted to go armed (which I do want). Instead, I can just pull the SP101 from its hiding place and put it on. To do that I have to keep an IWB holster in the truck, of course. You can just use one of your existing MK9 holsters.

Krusty
03-09-2012, 01:28 AM
Store ammo in a cool dry place haaaa, how about Vietnam? Doesn't get any more muggy or hotter than that and still goes bang. WW II troops in Africa ( brutally hot) , Russia brutally cold.......store dry OK , temp doesn't matter - still goes bang!

MikeG
03-09-2012, 02:01 PM
I did two deployments to the middle east and horn of africa in '03 & '05, saw temps near 130 w/99% humidity in summer & below zero in winter... No problems with ammo in those conditions and I'm sure you're carrying better quality than we had then... Just keep it clean and lubed and thieves will be your biggest worry, not temperatures. My pm9 rides shotgun every day and stays in the console when I can't carry

Thunder71
03-09-2012, 02:04 PM
Thanks guys!

Mattkcc
03-09-2012, 02:43 PM
For a car/truck gun I think you couldn't beat a Glock police trade-in. You can pick them up for around $350 and run them nearly dry. You don't have to worry about lube getting so cold your gun won't run also, no lube to mix with dust and gunk up your gun. My second choice would be a stainless revolver. My truck gun is a 22 cal 9 shot Sentinel I bought for $50 back in the day. It's a no fuss gun, clean it once a year and it's happy and just keeps working. My CM9 stays in my pocket but requires regular cleaning and lubrication. If my vehicle gets broken into and my gun stolen I'm only out $50.

Deano
03-10-2012, 03:01 AM
A word of caution about carrying a firearm in your glove box. When I took my concealed class they mentioned (at least in Orygun) that if someone is sitting in the passenger seat who does not have a CHL, they are considered to be carrying concealed illegally which can result in some serious legal problems if caught. We were told with passengers, the gun needs to be where only you, the driver, have ready access to it. Might be worth checking the laws about that in your state.

MikeG
03-10-2012, 12:49 PM
Might be worth checking the laws about that in your state.

^^ Should be rule #1 in any case. SC has a "two-touch" rule, meaning if you have to open something to get to it, it's not considered concealed for legal purposes

Zertek
03-10-2012, 02:12 PM
I live in Florida, there is nothing safe down here, I used to carry a Glock 26 in my glove box, then I got to thinking hey thats not only 500 bucks BUT I'm responsible for a BG having a fully loaded gun :eek: If they break into my car.

BroncoAZ
03-10-2012, 06:16 PM
For a car/truck gun I think you couldn't beat a Glock police trade-in.

I'm with Mattkcc on the Glock PD trade in for a truck gun. That being said a CM9 will also work just fine.