PDA

View Full Version : Another problem with PM9! *SIGH*

djsung815
03-08-2012, 02:47 PM
First, my rear sight blows off after about 50 rounds.
After Gander Mountain messes up my slide with new sights, I got a replacement slide (with the LCI).
Went to the range today and fired about 100 rounds, came back, found this while cleaning my PM9...

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx159/djsung815/DSC06719.jpg
http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx159/djsung815/DSC06720.jpg

I don't have the little circular cap at the end of the recoil spring! Looks like it's supposed to be screwed into the spring guide, and apparently it had twisted off somewhere, somehow...

Can I not trust this gun anymore? I have fired hundreds of rounds through my SA-XDM 3.8 compact without a single problem.

Since I've owned my PM9 (not even a year), I've had nothing but problems...Things are falling apart and I don't even have 200 rounds through this gun (with the new slide).

Love my PM9, but this is just FRUSTRATING...hope you guys understand.

I have an email into Kahr. Let's wee what they say...

CJB
03-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Call Kahr, they'll express you a new one.

djsung815
03-08-2012, 03:27 PM
I emailed the district manager (Lisa, for Indiana region), and she forwarded my email to the Service Department, and two people from that department emailed me back within 30 minutes of my original email.

They are replacing my recoil spring assembly under warranty.

Happy with the customer service, hoping this won't happen again tho...

DKD
03-08-2012, 03:43 PM
Sorry to hear this man. A little lock tight on that part and it probably never would have happened. I have heard of this happenning before, but it is a rare occurance from all of my readings hear over the past two years.

dirtkicker
03-08-2012, 05:04 PM
It happened to me after about 100 rounds. Mine was shooting w/o it so I just finishrd my range session as is. I called and Kahr replaced it, but....

The new recoil assembly was too long and would not allow my slide to lock back. After consulting on Kahrtalk with some shady Kahr surgeons I clipped some off and everything has been good ever since. There's an old thread on here somewhere all about it.

It caused me a little angst but I am very happy with my CM9.

stuch77
03-08-2012, 05:26 PM
it happened to me gun shoot fine. kahr sent me a new assembly. i took the new unit pushed back the spring then heated the area with a micro torch and the part screwed off by hand. there was some of the loctite left and it was blue. i put on red thread locker and never looked back 700rds.

rooster65
03-08-2012, 05:46 PM
need to stop cleaning it ...

stuch77
03-08-2012, 05:51 PM
need to stop cleaning it ...

why would he stop cleaning his carry weapon?

skiflydive
03-08-2012, 06:53 PM
why would he stop cleaning his carry weapon?

Not sure but wondering if Jocko's magic potion doesn't melt the factory installed locktite. My suggestion would be...don't hose down the RSA with brake cleaner.

Bear549
03-08-2012, 07:27 PM
I seen on here where someone took a regular nut and sanded it down round, looked just like the original. They still contacted Kahr to have it replaced, but kept the old one as a back up.

Cokeman
03-08-2012, 07:56 PM
What's the bump on the slide next to the barrel?

djsung815
03-08-2012, 08:14 PM
What's the bump on the slide next to the barrel?

Oh that's just some dirty oil from my finger that got on the slide while taking pics... :D. I had just cleaned the gun.

djsung815
03-08-2012, 08:17 PM
It happened to me after about 100 rounds. Mine was shooting w/o it so I just finishrd my range session as is. I called and Kahr replaced it, but....

The new recoil assembly was too long and would not allow my slide to lock back. After consulting on Kahrtalk with some shady Kahr surgeons I clipped some off and everything has been good ever since. There's an old thread on here somewhere all about it.

It caused me a little angst but I am very happy with my CM9.

So, yours was the old version, but kahr sent you a newer version recoil assembly? Just wanna make sure I understood correctly. I have the newer version (ICxxxx)...

Hognutz
03-08-2012, 08:19 PM
I had the same thing happen to my PM9. Crazy stuff.. They sent me a new one, and so far, so good. They told me that they had a bad batch of them.

dirtkicker
03-08-2012, 08:49 PM
So, yours was the old version, but kahr sent you a newer version recoil assembly? Just wanna make sure I understood correctly. I have the newer version (ICxxxx)...

Actually I ordered a recoil assembly at the same time as an extra to back up the replacement they were sending and they were 2 different lengths. I forget now maybe 1 &1/2 coil length different. So I clipped the longer one to match the shorter one. Keep in mind the longer one wold not let the slide lock back so I kind of knew it was too long.

My CM9 was purchased new in Jan/this year and the assemblys shortly thereafter. I don't really know one version from the other or that there is more than one version. All this is new stuff I assume. I never really was sure why I got 2 sizes, I just made it work.

Krusty
03-08-2012, 10:37 PM
A spotweld may solve this problem permanently!

WMD
03-09-2012, 07:00 AM
I do not think Kahr actually assembles those spring assembly's. I think they get them from a vendor all assembled. Wolff maybe? Anyone know for sure?

djsung815
03-09-2012, 12:15 PM
Kahr is mailing me a new recoil assembly, i will take pics and follow-up when i receive it.

muggsy
03-09-2012, 01:36 PM
Not sure but wondering if Jocko's magic potion doesn't melt the factory installed locktite. My suggestion would be...don't hose down the RSA with brake cleaner.

The non-chlorinated break cleaner is for cleaning the striker channel only. Slam another member of this forum again and you'll find that you're not welcome here.
:32:

skiflydive
03-09-2012, 01:58 PM
The non-chlorinated break cleaner is for cleaning the striker channel only. Slam another member of this forum again and you'll find that you're not welcome here.
:32:

I don't believe I've slammed anyone on this site at any time. If someone feels they've been slammed by me it's not intentional. Muggsy I'd be happy to have you point out any posts where you think I've slammed you or anyone else.

I'm aware the brake cleaner is for the striker hole but it's not a stretch to think that some might have hosed down their whole slide since the brake cleaner is excellent on carbon deposits and for cleaning out old lube. If in fact the recoil spring nut is Loctited it's not a stretch to think that the brake cleaner could melt the Locktite as well

JFootin
03-09-2012, 03:26 PM
I don't believe I've slammed anyone on this site at any time. If someone feels they've been slammed by me it's not intentional. Muggsy I'd be happy to have you point out any posts where you think I've slammed you or anyone else.

I'm aware the brake cleaner is for the striker hole but it's not a stretch to think that some might have hosed down their whole slide since the brake cleaner is excellent on carbon deposits and for cleaning out old lube. If in fact the recoil spring nut is Loctited it's not a stretch to think that the brake cleaner could melt the Locktite as well

That's the way I read it, Muggsy. No slam. No foul. :hippie: Peace and love!