PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Black Rotary Magazine Load Indicator Mod

Scoundrel
03-09-2012, 03:12 PM
If you bought a bunch of black rotary 10/22 magazines before the clear ones came out, or because you wanted them to be black, and you're sick of trying to stuff an 11th round in there to find out whether the magazine is full or not, this mod is for you.

The mod is very simple: Drill a small hole in the back of the magazine where the 10th round would be, so you can tell at a glance whether there's one in there or not.

But where the heck is that 10th round? Well, I found a photo of the magazine with the cover plate off, guesstimated, and drilled one. And missed. But on the second try, I got it right. So one of my magazines now has two holes in it. Could be worse.

First, the usual disclaimers and answers to expected questions:
1. No, Ruger tech support would probably NOT approve of this plan.
2. Don't be an idiot. Make sure you're working with an unloaded magazine. You don't want the drill to set off a primer. The rounds wouldn't go ballistic, but it sure wouldn't be pleasant if they cooked off in your hand.
3. Yeah, I've made a hole through which dust/lint/moisture can get in. But there's a huge hole in the top where you load the rounds. Deal with it.
Other magazines have load indicator holes, so why shouldn't this one?
4. Don't do this if you're not confident in your ability to measure, mark, and drill, or if you would be heartbroken if you damaged your $22 replaceable magazine.

Anyway, here is how to get it right the first time:

First, make sure you're drilling the correct end. You want the BACK end with the hexagonal nut (NOT the allen head bolt), and the "10 SHOT" marking on it.

I guess you _could_ do the front, but then if you loaded up some lead hollowpoints, the indicator hole might not be very effective. The back gives you the best chance to see the casing because the back of the casing is larger in diameter, flat, and shiny.

http://kahrtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5554&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1331329434

Next, draw a straight line on the magazine (I used a silver Sharpie) between the upper right point of the hexagonal nut, and the place where the groove on the right side of the magazine ends. Then, you'll want to cross that line with another one. The intersecting line should be about 0.17" from the nearest edge of the magazine.

http://kahrtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5555&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1331329441

Then you'll want to drill the hole right where your lines intersect. I used a 7/64" bit, and you can see that I did not center this one perfectly. As a result, I can see MOST of the "C" on the back of a CCI round, but it's not centered.

If you want to be super precise, use a tiny bit to drill a pilot hole, then make it bigger with the 7/64" bit.

http://kahrtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5556&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1331329445

Once the hole is drilled, it will look like crap, so you'll want to de-burr it. You could use a larger drill bit. What I used was a pocket knife, which I twisted around in the hole. This smoothed out the hole, and widened the viewing angle a bit, too.

I also used a cotton swab with a bit of WD-40 on the tip to remove the Sharpie lines, and a can of compressed air to blow out any shavings that might have ended up inside the magazine.

Here, you can easily see that this magazine, while it has some rounds in it, is NOT full:

http://kahrtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5559&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1331329775

Whereas THIS magazine IS full. No more finding out that the magazine is full only when an 11th round will not fit in there.

http://kahrtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5560&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1331329798

air8
03-10-2012, 06:14 PM
Nice one. I shall do this this weekend.

Popeye
03-11-2012, 02:57 PM
Good idea. Thanks

Scoundrel
03-11-2012, 04:06 PM
Here is an example of one that I de-burred with a larger drill bit, and one where I got a little carried away with the drill bit and almost killed the magazine (well, I just would have had to take the backplate off and fill the hole with epoxy).

Clear epoxy in these holes might be a good idea. But that's a lot of work.

Also, the camera makes these look a lot worse than they do "in person". The flash picks up every little bit of dust, every tiny scratch, and every slightly ragged edge that exists.

jlottmc
03-11-2012, 04:10 PM
I may have to barrow that, and see if I can find the other points for a quick round count. Then again, I may just put a little window on the back. Nope, last round hole seems like a better idea.

Scoundrel
03-11-2012, 04:17 PM
I figured poking 9 holes per magazine would be a LOT of work (especially when you have 15 magazines), would multiply the possibility of error x10 (see the hole where I de-burred too far), and would have limited utility.

If I'm loading a magazine for a specific round count for a training drill, I'll either count them as they go in, or if I am doing multiple mags, count them into groups, then load them one group per mag.

I don't see myself removing a mag to check the round count very often.

muggsy
03-11-2012, 06:02 PM
That's a fantastic idea for anyone who can't count to ten. I don't know why JFootin didn't think of it. :)

Scoundrel
03-11-2012, 06:06 PM
That's a fantastic idea for anyone who can't count to ten. I don't know why JFootin didn't think of it. :)

Hardy har har. You try loading a half dozen or so of those magazines with bulk pack ammo and not losing track.

Minor annoyance, easy solution. So what's the problem?

muggsy
03-12-2012, 11:04 AM
Hardy har har. You try loading a half dozen or so of those magazines with bulk pack ammo and not losing track.

Minor annoyance, easy solution. So what's the problem?

No problem, just pulling your chain. :)