PDA

View Full Version : CM9 or CM40

KelevGadohl
03-11-2012, 10:44 PM
Finally getting ready to get a pistol that is between my LCP .380 and my G27 .40 S&W. I had used a G26 9mm for years and ended up going with a G27 for a bit more oomph. I've been very pleased with my G27 despite the increased recoil. My first thought about getting this new subcompact is that the CM9 will be easier/cheaper to feed and be easier to shoot. However, having already gone the 9mm to .40 route I wonder if I should just skip over the 9mm and go directly to the .40?

Nothing 'wrong' with the 9mm (I still have my G26), I just like the weight/power/shootability of the G27.

Does anyone here own the CM40/PM40 and also a Glock G27? If so, how do they compare in shootability/recoil?

Mattkcc
03-11-2012, 11:23 PM
A G27 is about as small as I would go with a 40, these little Kahrs are pushing the limit as to how small you can make a 9mm let alone a 40. I've carried 9mm and forty on the streets and frankly the bad guys can't tell the difference. The CM9 is a handful with SD ammo and I'm not recoil sensitive. I got about 400 rounds with a few SD rounds through my CM9 before it broke, wouldn't even consider a 40.

jocko
03-12-2012, 01:04 AM
what broke??? It is as built as the PM9 wich is a tank of a gun..

kerby9mm
03-12-2012, 03:44 AM
I can give you this comparison from my mk9 vs my mk40. The 40 is just slightly larger (slide) but it does recoil noticeably more holds one round less but I love it anyway. I bought the 9 first and liked it so much I had to have the mk40 they had. If I had to pick one (Iwould never sell either) I would choose the 9 for cheaper ammo and modern SD rounds in 9mm are very adequate.

JFootin
03-12-2012, 07:47 AM
what broke??? It is as built as the PM9 wich is a tank of a gun..

I think he meant broke in. Surprized you couldn't translate that jocko-speak. :behindsofa:

Mattkcc
03-12-2012, 04:54 PM
Nope it broke, slide won't fully rack, they are sending me a new RSA to see if that will fix the gun. The old one looks fine, if it doesn't fix the problem will have to send it back in. One thing you got to remember is in a real fight the gun is going to be much harder to control. I had a co-worker get in a shoot-out with a his G27, He went through two mags and got three hits in arms and legs. First mag at five yards second at twenty. Bad guy was able to flee. This guy was not a newbie nor was it his first gun fight, he found it impossible to focus on the sights and difficult to control. Bigger is not always better.

KelevGadohl
03-13-2012, 09:30 PM
Leaning toward the 9mm for the couple of less ounces. I want to use it for my jersey pocket while riding my road bike. My LCP works well but I want more than .380 if I can. There are only a couple of ranges in this area that rent pistols but maybe I can find a PM/CM9 and PM/CM40 to try before making the leap.

yote
03-14-2012, 09:11 AM
Even in comparable full sized pistols, 40 cal recoil is snappier and follow up shots are slower compared to a 9mm. I noticed these differences when I transitioned from a Glock 17 to a 22.

Ken_K
03-14-2012, 09:20 AM
You can't go wrong with a CM9. It's the only micro sized pistol that I think is actually fun to shoot. 9mm ammo is less expensive and with the current self defense rounds that are available I don't believe you would be giving up too much in stopping power either.

jocko
03-14-2012, 11:04 AM
I never owned a 40 cal of any model, so fromn just reading allthe many posts on this forum, one is going to read more of RECOIL discomfort in the 40 polymer kahrs far far more than the 9mm poly kahrs. It is what it is a powerful round thatif u notice very very few offerings of +P40 cal ammo even listed. the reason being it is a hot round out of the boxc an dthen shoot it out of a 15 ounce kahr and what do u expect.

Course I am prejudice to 9mm. It shoots well, recoil is more than maneagable, amo far cheaper BUT if I owned a polmer 40 cal kahr I WOULD MAGNA PORT that sucker in a heartbeat.

pitbull1022
03-15-2012, 12:35 AM
I own a G22, CW40 and a Bertta PX4 Storm Sub Compact 40. Love all of them. Liked the CW40 so much I ordered the CM40. Waiting on it still. Have a Kel Tec PF9 also. The PF9 has a harded recoil than any of my 40's. And I can stay on target with them all. But if I ever got into a firefight that would be different. AND I WOULD WANT MY BUSHMASTER M4A3.

drgad
03-15-2012, 08:02 PM
I own the G27 and the PM40 - while the recoil is a little less with the G27 (probably due to weight), there's not much - certainly not enough to matter. Beyond that, call me strange, but I LIKE the power and "kick" of the 40! You know you have some serious firepower!
I, like you, was looking for something between my LCP and the G27. I ended up with the PM40 and carry it (pocket) every day. Actually, I just sold my LCP because I didn't carry it. Besides, it was too close in size to the PM40 (I'm serious). And while I can certainly tell a difference, I'd still rather have a 40 far more than a 380. I also used to have a G26 and thought: "I can carry the exact same size, but have the firepower of a 40!" My brother called, wanted to buy the G26, so I did - and got the G27 (40 cal). I am sure of this, if (God forbid) I ever actually had to use it to protect myself or family (or friend), I am sure that I would be glad I had the 40! Currently carrying DPX in it, though I also have Rem GS, Hornady CD, Rangers, Fed HST and others. Just my .02

Gliderguy
03-16-2012, 11:57 AM
drgad: I also have an LCP and PM40. I haven't shot them back to back but my impression is the felt recoil is very similar... lighter, smaller LCP is balanced by the weaker round to feel about the same when firing. It quits being fun around 100 rounds in for either one, and my best shooting definitely occurs in the first 50.... Would you concur with the above?

olympicmotorcars
03-16-2012, 09:25 PM
I own both , PM 40 and Glock 27. ( and just bought a Walther PPS in 40 ). I am a believer in 40 cal. Have not had any trouble to speak of out of any one of them.

It may be sacrilegious to say this on this forum, but I like the PPS the best of all 3 and have been carrying it the most, and shoot it the best of the 3.

However I still carry the Kahr (did today in fact while on a long road trip to Oklahoma City and back ) Cannot beat the Kahr for comfort especially while driving a vehicle and wearing an iwb holster.

recoil is a little more in the Kahr than the Glock or PPS but really not bad at all to me. I routinely shoot 100 - 200 rounds through it per range trip. I do not shoot it quite as good as the Glock or PPS, but not really that much worse. I just like the Glock style trigger better.

KelevGadohl
03-16-2012, 09:56 PM
I own the G27 and the PM40 - while the recoil is a little less with the G27 (probably due to weight), there's not much - certainly not enough to matter. Beyond that, call me strange, but I LIKE the power and "kick" of the 40! You know you have some serious firepower!
I, like you, was looking for something between my LCP and the G27. I ended up with the PM40 and carry it (pocket) every day. Actually, I just sold my LCP because I didn't carry it. Besides, it was too close in size to the PM40 (I'm serious). And while I can certainly tell a difference, I'd still rather have a 40 far more than a 380. I also used to have a G26 and thought: "I can carry the exact same size, but have the firepower of a 40!" My brother called, wanted to buy the G26, so I did - and got the G27 (40 cal). I am sure of this, if (God forbid) I ever actually had to use it to protect myself or family (or friend), I am sure that I would be glad I had the 40! Currently carrying DPX in it, though I also have Rem GS, Hornady CD, Rangers, Fed HST and others. Just my .02

I know exactly what you are saying. I feel the same way on my G26 vs. G27. A friend tried my G27 and stated that it was a bit of a hand-full. I said "Yeah, isn't it great!" I'd still carry my G26 but I just like the .40 better.

KelevGadohl
03-16-2012, 10:18 PM
I was just wondering, do the .40 Kahr's have the problems with the spare magazine dumping the top round/rounds out in your pocket?

pitbull1022
03-16-2012, 11:12 PM
Has not dumped any rounds out on me.