PDA

View Full Version : CM9 problems..before even leaving the store!

lithnights
03-12-2012, 03:00 PM
Just got back from picking up my new Kahr CM9 from a local shop. After doing the transfer, I asked them to show me how it breaks down and goes back together. The pin came out fine, as did the spring and barrel. But when he tried to put everything back together and put the slide back on and rack it back, it came short about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch from being flush to the back.

He was stumped so he took the spring out, tried to adjust, tried again. We got out the manual and read it. He tried again and again trying different things. He asked a fellow employee who tried for 5 minutes. No luck. He asked another confident employee who owns a PM9 and had a similar problem. No luck. Boy were they frustrated. "I've never ever seen this before." Great, I thought. After about 30 minutes, they got the slide back and pin back in.

He couldn't guarantee it wouldn't happen each time, and suggested racking it over and over (as I read on this site) and shooting a bunch of rounds before trying to disassemble again.

This is a brand new gun so needless to say, I was frustrated.

SO I guess I'll do as they suggest and hopefully the problem goes away. If anyone has suggestions, I would appreciate it.

I'm trying to be confident but not a great start with Kahr..

TucsonMTB
03-12-2012, 03:12 PM
Racking will help, but not nearly as much as firing a few rounds. After the first 50, the spring will have compressed enough to make it easier to assemble. No worries! :)

lithnights
03-12-2012, 03:27 PM
Racking will help, but not nearly as much as firing a few rounds. After the first 50, the spring will have compressed enough to make it easier to assemble. No worries! :)

OK, feeling slightly better. :)

zamboni
03-12-2012, 04:57 PM
I am not sure, but I seem to remember something similar to that one of the first couple of times I field striped mine. As it is not sticking out in my memory, I believe I got in back in place easier than you. Anyway...My CM9 has shot flawless, so I wouldn't worry till you get a few hundred rounds through her.

jocko
03-12-2012, 05:29 PM
when they are new kahr spring sare a bit-h. after a hudred runds the gun will be totally different. and u also will adapt to it..

yqtszhj
03-12-2012, 06:41 PM
First Welcome to the Forum.

I agree with what everyone else said. My CM9 was a bear to disassemble and re-assemble at first. worse than my CW9. 150 rounds and a cleaning later and it's smooth as silk.

You're gonna like that gun.

CJB
03-12-2012, 07:09 PM
what exactly do you mean "flush to the back"

short of being all the way rearward, or all the way forward... just asking, since you said he "tried to rack it"... which implies going backward?

DJK11
03-13-2012, 06:37 AM
CJB,
Thanks for asking, I thought the same. Two of the LGS in my area sell a boat load of guns and Kahr is low on their list of sales. Mostly S&W and Glock. At the store I purchased my PM45, I had to show them the "ins and outs" of the pistol. The salesman, with decades of experience, said he carries a PM9 but has never striped the slide.

My point is even the experts don't know it all and are subject error.

jjones
03-13-2012, 07:00 AM
I picked up a new CM9 on March 9th. Some threads and posts suggested that it be disassembled and cleaned prior to use, BUT I was very eager to try this unit and headed directly to the range. The gun surprised me in the fact that it fired flawlessly and very accurate. After 100 rounds I disassembled and cleaned it. I'm sorry you had trouble with yours, but hang in there, it will straighten out soon and you will love this little gun.
I will have to get more mags though, reloading one that many times gets ones fingers sore. Have heard some bad reports on the larger capacity mags. Any comments ????

SkeletonSlinky
03-13-2012, 07:02 AM
Before you try to assemble it, just compress the recoil spring and make sure that the guide rod can be pushed through the front opening in the frame. This makes sure that it is all aligned properly, then put the slide on the frame. I found that sometimes the end of the guide rod doesn't get past that opening and won't let you assemble it. This happens occasionally on my PM9. Never had a problem with my CM9. Hope this helps.

Ken_K
03-13-2012, 07:28 AM
Welcome!

It will get easier once you put some rounds through it. Mine was kind of tough to get back together after I first took it apart (had never fired a shot through it yet) but after the first 50 rounds it was cake.

lithnights
03-13-2012, 08:21 AM
what exactly do you mean "flush to the back"

short of being all the way rearward, or all the way forward... just asking, since you said he "tried to rack it"... which implies going backward?

Basically, the frame stuck out 1/4" or so past the slide. Picture the pistol aiming to the left. Imagine the slide is off, and you try to put the slide on and move it (left to right) backward to get it into a firing position, but the slide can't be pushed back enough. The slide is 1/4" short of lining up with the frame. Forget my "tried to rack it" comment, that probably confused the issue.

Hopefully that is more clear?

lithnights
03-13-2012, 08:27 AM
CJB,
Thanks for asking, I thought the same. Two of the LGS in my area sell a boat load of guns and Kahr is low on their list of sales. Mostly S&W and Glock. At the store I purchased my PM45, I had to show them the "ins and outs" of the pistol. The salesman, with decades of experience, said he carries a PM9 but has never striped the slide.

My point is even the experts don't know it all and are subject error.

Good point. Experts are not always experts. I thought that with the first guy, but when the PM9 and CM9 carrying guy got stumped, that's when I panicked a bit. They really did seem to try everything. Putting it back without the barrel, then without the spring, then without either etc. Similar to some of the stuff that SkeletonSlinky mentions above. I don't expect them to know every in and out of the pistol but the PM9 guy definitely knew the break down and really seemed to know his stuff.

lithnights
03-13-2012, 08:29 AM
Well from reading the comments, I feel better now. Thanks! I plan to get to the range ASAP and put 100-200 in the next couple weeks. Then we'll break down and clean and see what happens. I'll give you an update then...

Thanks all!

Lkmack
03-13-2012, 08:49 AM
I've been a member for awhile, but never speak out. I just read and laugh and read some more. You guys are so much fun!
Anyway, I'm writing because I had the same issue a few days ago after cleaning my gun. I've shot several hundred rounds through my cm9, so it wasn't necessarily the spring tension. It WAS in fact that I didn't insert the slide release turned at 3 o'clock (just a little. It's in the manual) Something about that engages the slide as you are reassembling the gun... Once the dots are lined up, the slide release slips right in. Be careful not to bend the spring.

boatsteve
03-24-2012, 07:27 PM
I have 400 round thru it (CM9) and this is still the same issue you had, easy fix is use a small tool (Plastic if you don't want a mark on it) and move the recoil spring assembly as you push the slide back to line up with the hole in the slide. Then snap O you got it together.