PDA

View Full Version : Another NYPD K9 Trade-in

Tinman507
03-12-2012, 03:48 PM
Ok, I knew about this one least week but kept my yap shut until I actually laid hands on it. Bought it from Aim Surplus.

It's in remarkably good shape. Ser# indicates April 2005 born on date. But Lordy it's CRUDDY inside. Like this guy never stripped it down to clean it. It appears he just threw more grease at it. I just detail stripped it down to a foil tray of parts. Everything is covered in gunk and funk. I am grossed out but inspired to clean this puppy up and make her shootable.

Here's the before photo:

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o542/tinman507/New-K9a.jpg

Here's the pile of parts I bought:

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o542/tinman507/Photo1a.jpg

Going to clean her up and will post some after pics.

Bawanna
03-12-2012, 03:51 PM
Was that a Swanson TV Dinner, some of those aren't too bad in a toxic festering sort of way.

Good score, she'll be a gem all spruced up in her party clothes.

PS- hope you can remember where all that crap goes, looks like a lot of extra parts to me.

Tinman507
03-12-2012, 04:26 PM
I don't know what that pointy thing is. Ahh forget it.

downtownv
03-12-2012, 04:49 PM
Mine was cleaner than cats A--!
Bought direct from the owner (NYPD)
Nothing but Smiles :)

Bawanna
03-12-2012, 05:07 PM
I don't know what that pointy thing is. Ahh forget it.

You better not forget it, it might be important. Maybe you should wear safety glasses looking at it though, pointy things cause accidents. Safety first.

cgpeanut
03-12-2012, 05:18 PM
It might be a good idea to replace all the springs while deep at it replace them all and it will shoot like a dream!

Bawanna
03-12-2012, 05:58 PM
Springs?:confused:

Oh must be them little curly fry looking wire dealy hymers. Yeah good idea.

Tinman507
03-12-2012, 06:13 PM
Got it all cleaned up and put back together. Honestly this doesn't look like it was shot much. There is a tiny bit of holster wear but internally, once I plowed through the gunk it's pretty shiny. The barrel is pristine. The chamber was pretty cruddy. There was so much crap in the extractor channel, it's a wonder it could eject anything. I didn't pull any brass from the striker channel but I swabbed a bunch of solidified oil or grease.

When I pulled the grips off it looked like it had been used to stir coffee or something. NASTY!

I'm gonna go shoot it tomorrow and see how it does. May get a spring kit for it nontheless just for peace of mind.

Gawd this thing feels so good in the hand. I hope this thing shoots well. I could definitely carry this every day. Fits the same holster as the CM9.

Little bit of polishing and I'll take some more photos in better light.

jocko
03-12-2012, 06:21 PM
IMO only spring kit needed would be recoil springs. These NYPD gns really don'
t have much rounds thorough them and 50 rounds or 5000 , pretty damn hard to tell to. Buy a 5# striker spring if u feel the need to change the striker spring. that spring also really never wears out but just gets smoother with action of the gun. My K9 is nypd trigger and I love the gun, bought it used, never faulted one time on me either.. I pad mor ethan u guys did thoug back about 3+ years ago.

Tinman507
03-12-2012, 06:27 PM
I dry fired with snap caps and I can't tell the difference between this and my CM9. If anything it's a tiny bit smoother. But length of pull doesn't seem any different at all.

I'm gonna shoot it and run some carry ammo through it before I pronounce it carry worthy. We'll see.

jocko
03-12-2012, 06:39 PM
wellfor me I can't tell the difference in ther 3/8" travel over the 1/2" travel.both go bang,both feel great..

nexed
03-13-2012, 02:47 AM
Another great looking nypd trade these are great pieces I'm still loving mine

Ikeo74
03-13-2012, 06:40 AM
You have to remember that NY Cops have never seen a tree or dirt, only concrete and bricks. They have to account for every bullet they are issued and in 5 years I bet it was never cleaned either. The only time they actually shoot the gun is for annual qualification and the 1 time they have to shoot at a bad guy. My guess the gun has fired less than 500 rounds in it's lifetime with the NYPD. I bet they trade them when they need to be cleaned. Good purchase, on a nearly new gun!

Tinman507
03-13-2012, 07:16 AM
These were used as back up and off duty guns, correct? Were they owned by NYPD or the officer? Did they get an allowance? Just curious how that system operates.

This one looked like it wans't a personally owned weapon simply because I can't imagine anyone shelling out large and then not doing ANY upkeep on it. I sure as hell wouldn't have staked my life on this one in the condition it was in. Or maybe it's testament to the ability of Kahrs to work even when gunked to the rafters.

jocko
03-13-2012, 07:48 AM
surely we shouldhave a leo feed back on ur comments. I would think if it is a bckup gun, the officer bought it at a heh of a good price. I have been told that the nypd can DICTATE what weapon an officer can carry as long as he is empolyed witht eh dept. meaning to me anyhow that I can't carry a PM9 if they say no, even off duty.

I guess also that is why the market in NY is getting flooded with K9, if they are not allowed PERIOD to carry that gun at any time, then why own it.. I am sure they have to qualify with any back up gun though. that makes good sense.

KMA
03-13-2012, 03:01 PM
Those are very nice guns; if I got a good deal on one I should buy it right away.

Tinman507
03-13-2012, 03:15 PM
Run, don't walk and BUY IT!!
Awesome gun. I shot it today.
Played a little hookey from work and skinnied out early.
Ran 100 rnds of WWB through it. Once I got used to the trigger it's TIGHT.
25 FEET all within about 5 inches. No FTF no FTE. Nuttin.

It's most definitely a smoother shooter than my CM9. Very sweet gun. It's still pretty cruddy. Will need to strip it down again and do another cleaning but it's improving.

DEFINITELY Buy one. They're the cat's a$$.

Edited: Wrote Yds Meant Feet. Sorry to mislead. I'm not THAT good yet.

jocko
03-13-2012, 03:27 PM
that is excellent shooting at 25 yards, that is my groups normally at 10 yards. I do shoot my K better than my PM9 that is four sure but still way behind my G19.

I call my K9 the cats pu$$y!:D

Bawanna
03-13-2012, 03:55 PM
These were used as back up and off duty guns, correct? Were they owned by NYPD or the officer? Did they get an allowance? Just curious how that system operates.

This one looked like it wans't a personally owned weapon simply because I can't imagine anyone shelling out large and then not doing ANY upkeep on it. I sure as hell wouldn't have staked my life on this one in the condition it was in. Or maybe it's testament to the ability of Kahrs to work even when gunked to the rafters.

I of course don't know NYPD's policy but usually an officer buys their own back up or off duty gun but has to be approved by the dept. No surprise on the cleanliness or abuse. I have officers that look like they store their gun in the cat box at home. Both dept issue and personal. Not all cops are gun guys, I use a carpenters hammer as a good analogy. It's just a tool. Many would go to work without it if it wasn't policy to wear it.

jocko
03-13-2012, 03:59 PM
I knew u would have the answer ol great one. Ur ight about the all cops and gun guys, they sure ain't a pair as one would think.

Adamt
03-18-2012, 10:01 AM
I notice you didn't remove the trigger. I just traded for a k9 and have it detail stripped but I'm a little worried about the trigger. Have you since removed that?