PDA

View Full Version : Brand New CM9 & Range Report

Sparx
03-12-2012, 05:34 PM
I picked up a new CM 9 today after reading a good number of threads here, both positive and negative, regarding this pistol. I also read posts on the web comparing this pistol to the Kel Tec and others. I decided the positives outweighed the negatives and bought the CM 9 at Sportsman's Warehouse this morning.

I followed the "proper prep" sticky posted here on this Forum by jocko. I am not new to guns, been shooting since the early 60's, so I knew mostly what to do; nevertheless, the sticky is very well written and easy to follow. I do not agree with applying lube to the slide's center rail which rides across the cartridges in the mag. I may polish this surface if it begins to gather brass deposits.

So after hosing out the slide with brake cleaner I purchase at Wal-Mart for about $2.00 a can, I lubed the pistol and took it to the range. I fired a total of 110 rounds, 50 115 grain Aguila ball, 50 124 grain Aguila ball, 5 Remington golden saber and 5 Remington unc green box 115 grain ball.
I had zero problems. My thumb did hit the slide stop once and the slide was held open, this was my fault totally and I immediately cut my thumb off so this will never reoccur. (Note: Aguila 9mm 115 grain ball is very nice ammo, but don't bother with the 124 grain ball it seems weak)

I fired at a target at 30' and found the pistol to be more accurate than I expected. Also, the felt recoil is very manageable. I am the former owner of a Kel Tec PF9, which in my case was 100% reliable with any 9MM ammo, but was a lesson in pain for sure. I could not shoot 50 rounds straight through with the Kel tec. I could have fired another 100 rounds with the CM9 today no problem; but, I got hungry. :)

So, if this pistol can continue on this stretch for 300 more rounds, then I think I can call it ready to carry. The trigger is different, reminds me of shooting a double action revolver more than anything. As long as I do my part this gun will do it's part. I find for the size it to be very mild on recoil, accurate, and user friendly. I like the fact that there is no safety lever. I also like the 1911 style take down.

What I don't like about the pistol is that the mag could (should) be made a little better, especially concerning the floor plate. :2eek: Maybe it should come with two mags, but I assume Kahr wanted to keep the price down. I wish it was 7+1 but it is not.

I am not a super fan of 9mm but with the proper defensive round and this pistol, once proven reliable, should be adequate. I do like .45 better than 9mm, but the .45's are larger. I dislike .40 cannot shoot that caliber very well. The .38 special is another favorite, but this would put me into a S&W 36 with 5 shots, not horrible, but 7 is better.

So tomorrow I will head back to the range and put some more ammo through the CM9 and hopefully it will continue on this path.

I have to find another magazine, and I sure would like to improve on those floor plates.

Sparx

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/sparx21/IMG_4876.jpg

jocko
03-12-2012, 05:41 PM
nice report, as about expected to from the cm9 It is just a super gun. U are allowe4d one bit-h per kahr owned and ur magazine floor plate is accepted as that. Now just shoot the fokker like u stole it and in time u will forget about that floor plate. I sent my magazines off to a refinisher and had them blackened finished , floor plate and all and they look cool. I would suggest if u buy another magazine stick to the 6 round flush fit mags and forget about that one round more extended magazine.. Some give shooter fits, some don't. It is a crap shoot. Keep the flush fit mags in the gun and it will serve u well. Apples and oranges of a kahr and kel teck. both will go bang as u stated but one will let u know every shot to, that it is going bang. You cm9 is also a gun that u can shoot until the cows come home. It is a tank..

I think u can order just the floor palte that comes on the cw9 series kahrs and it will look nicer, and should slide right on to.

Sparx
03-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Hey jocko,

OT
Interesting... one good pal I hung around with back in high school was>> jocko. A good dude he was too, man could we put down the pizza, a bit young to order beer at that point.

Back to CM9
Thanks for the tip on the mag base, I agree not to get a mag that extends, do not need that.

I tried to comprehend the follower adjustment you mentioned (elsewhere), to prevent snagging on the mag body latch slot. Where is this explained?

sparx

jocko
03-12-2012, 06:12 PM
kahr tech section: propper prepping of ur kahr.

bandrich
03-12-2012, 08:26 PM
I agree 100% on the mag floor plate. Dreadful IMO. Also, the cheese grater grip as someone called it could use some work also. Hogue is happy with it I am sure. :rolleyes:

bonjorno2
03-12-2012, 08:34 PM
agreed ^^^

Sparx
03-12-2012, 08:52 PM
I have been looking for mags, found none so far. Is the P9 mag the same 6 round as the CM9?
sparx

kahrnut1
03-12-2012, 09:18 PM
caswell stainless blackerner does a good job on mag bases. it is not good enough to do slides would be streaky but looks good on mag bases and shure helps hide if you carry in pocket or jacket

Sparx
03-12-2012, 09:28 PM
caswell stainless blackerner does a good job on mag bases. it is not good enough to do slides would be streaky but looks good on mag bases and shure helps hide if you carry in pocket or jacket

Yes I am familiar with that product, I build M1 garand rifles and that is used to refinish (blacken) gas cylinders and gas locks which are stainless steel.

sparx

Gdirty5
03-12-2012, 09:38 PM
I use the 8 round mags from karh and its plastic extended base plate seems a lot more solid/stable than the 6 round. Plan to use that as a reload for a total of 15 rounds carried with me.

KMA
03-13-2012, 03:14 PM
Nice report. Glad you like the CM9. Enjoy!

Sparx
03-13-2012, 04:32 PM
Thanks KMA
Didn't get to fire it today,hopefully tomorrow.
I hope all the people that purchased these have equal or better luck as I.
sparx

Sparx
03-25-2012, 04:41 PM
Update.
Have justa about 200 rounds thru my CM9 and have had zero problems. :D

Well, one problem. Where can I get another mag? What other Kahr model mags fit in the CM9?
sparx