PDA

View Full Version : Was going to buy PM9 but found deal on PM40

gm412
03-13-2012, 11:18 AM
I went to the local gun shop to look at a PM9. They did not have one but they had an used PM40 for 525.00. A new PM9 would run 7-800. I have never had a 40 but have several 9mm. I think I would prefer the PM9 since it is lighter, carries one more round and I already have 9mm guns and ammo. However, I like the price of the used PM40 and it looks like it is in new condition.
I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on the PM40 vs. The PM9?

MLESa7990
03-13-2012, 11:21 AM
The 40 is a handful in that little polymer frame...especially if you never shot one before. I have the PM9 and feel it is plenty of firepower and obviously has less kick.

Bill K
03-13-2012, 11:27 AM
I have the PM9 but none the less... Why not the CM9? 40 S&W has outstanding ballistics for SD but I'd skip .40 and go to .45.

Ken_K
03-13-2012, 11:30 AM
I have a CM9 but never held a PM40 so I can't help you there. What I can say though is that making a firearm purchase based solely on price will more than likely leave you disappointed. I was leaning towards a CM9 first time around but ended up with a PF9 partly due to cost. I learned my lesson and now couldn't be happier. Go with the one you REALLY want, even if that means saving up awhile longer.

kerby9mm
03-13-2012, 12:07 PM
Nothing wrong with getting another 9mm. My first Kahr was the mk9. I liked it so much that later I bought the mk40 the same store had. I had never shot a 40 but it is a handful and the ammo is $6 more but I love it too. IMO don't rush your decision if you aren't sure go somewhere eles to find what you want or order it. Just my 2cents

SpecK
03-13-2012, 12:28 PM
I have a PM9 and zero complaints. When I was shopping, the local shop only had a CM9 in stock and from what I remember it was like holding the same gun. As I am also a 9mm fan and thats what most of my pistols and 1 rifle is...I would suggest taking a harder look at a CM9, being around the same price as that 40...Read up on some of the other posts from some of the very knowledgeable guys on this forum. I have a feeling they would lean towards the CM9 also....good luck

PYROhafe
03-13-2012, 01:18 PM
U can get a cm9 all day long for right around 400 bucks. Unless ur completly set on the pm, give the cm a good look before you decide. Especially if cost is a concern!

Gliderguy
03-13-2012, 01:46 PM
love my pm40 but a 9 would be less expensive to shoot. If you study the data at ballisticsbytheinch.com not many calibers do as well out of a 3 inch barrel as a .40 even a .357 needs a bit more barrel to pass a .40 on energy. and that is not counting the 50 to 75 fps you lose out of the cylinder gap. I have an LCP also and I dont find the PM 40 all that much more snappy.... roughly twice the power but also twice the weight with just a bit more grip to hang onto.

O'Dell
03-13-2012, 01:57 PM
I went to the local gun shop to look at a PM9. They did not have one but they had an used PM40 for 525.00. A new PM9 would run 7-800. I have never had a 40 but have several 9mm. I think I would prefer the PM9 since it is lighter, carries one more round and I already have 9mm guns and ammo. However, I like the price of the used PM40 and it looks like it is in new condition.
I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on the PM40 vs. The PM9?

Personally, I would much prefer the 40. I have a PM9, but I quit carrying it when I got the MK40. Maybe in the warmer weather I'll use occasionally because of the light weight, but I also have an LCP for that, which is even smaller and lighter.

KMA
03-13-2012, 02:23 PM
I am not a huge fan of the .40 caliber, and I do not enjoy at all shooting it in a tiny poly sub.

Wolffire99
03-13-2012, 02:36 PM
Ya I think both will get the job done. But one will leave you with less $ in your wallet every time you go shooting. Sounds like the 9mm will make up the difference in a year or less.

JFootin
03-13-2012, 03:35 PM
Go for a CM9, new with a warranty. You won't be disappointed. Jet Guns has good prices. And Cheaper Than Dirt change their prices on guns and if you keep looking for a few days, you might see a fantastic deal. As soon as you see it, jump on it because the deal will be gone or sold out in an eye blink.

jeepster09
03-13-2012, 03:44 PM
I am not sure on this....but the guy at Cabela's told me the CM also had different rifling in addition to one mag etc. from the PM...to keep cost down. Is that true?

jocko
03-13-2012, 03:50 PM
cm has standard rifling, PM has polygonal. rate of twist is the same. not sure of the cost thing as lothar makes the kahr polygonal rifled barrel blanks. I don't think the standard rifled blanks are of lothar make. I have the polygonal barrel in my PM9 an dK9 and it would make zero difference to me either way, as u know both will shoot in the same hole if the guy behind the trigger and do his part.

jeepster09
03-13-2012, 04:04 PM
He also said the CM was not as accurate, but at 10 yards or less shouldn't matter.

Wolffire99
03-13-2012, 04:17 PM
Any pistol barrel form a quality manufacturer will be more accurate than the shooter. That especially true with short barrels. The type of rifling doesn't matter.

alatour
03-13-2012, 05:15 PM
I have a PM40 really like it, it does bark but packs over 400 ft lb of energy.
I bought mine used for $530 also was like new. I emailed kahr with the serial # and they told me it was made may of 2010. Got a new recoil spring, the new one is a lot stiffer the the old one so I guess it was time. I fired 100 rounds out of it, perfect. The other thing I did is put a Talon rubber grip on it which made a difference in the felt recoil. The backstrap on PM is way too rough.

Ljutic
03-14-2012, 05:46 AM
I've found both to be equally great pistols. Enjoy your choice. If you change your mind and want to change to the PM9 at a future date, you may be able to trade straight across for a used PM9.

WMD
03-14-2012, 06:35 AM
Hey Jeepster,

About the accuracy remark from the guy at Cabella's, That is BS. Both polyganol and standard cut rifling are equally as accurate. The advantage the polyganol rifling gives you is a few more feet per second of velocity out of the barrel. This equates to a little more energy or knock down power.

Back to the initial question, PM9/CM9 or PM40. All are good guns. However, unless you are seasoned shooter that understands heavy recoil in a small gun, stick with the PM9/CM9. The PM40 is a great gun but it does have serious recoil and if you do not "hold in" to that gun, it may malfunction. The PM9/CM9 has very mild recoil and is much easier to shoot, especially that second shot!. Personally, I would not want to get hit by either of those two calibers. I do not think I could tell the difference on "hurtness" scale between the two! :D

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

gm412
03-14-2012, 12:55 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. After reading the feedback and doing some research – I have decided to go with the CM9. Sounds almost as good as PM9 and meets all of my needs.

JFootin
03-14-2012, 02:18 PM
Wise choice! Welcome to the CM9 Owners Club! Our symbol: :D!

gm412
03-14-2012, 04:00 PM
OK another day in California… I call one place that I usually don’t go and ask for price of CM9, they will have to call me back. Hop in my car to go to the local dealer I usually deal with since I get a 10% discount. The dealer I called returns my call and says they cannot get me a CM9 since it is listed as restricted in California. I think he is wrong so I get to my normal dealer and make a good deal for a CM9. He calls to order me one from his distributer and the CM9 is now listed as restricted. So now I cannot buy the gun I want. Fine, I ask him to find out how much for a PM9 is. He comes back and says the only thing the distributed has for a California Kahr is the CW9. So, I leave without a gun.
I then called the first place that I had called earlier. They had one PM9 in stock. So I went there and bought a PM9. Fate says no to the CM9 and yes to the PM9. Now the 10 day wait.
Sometimes I wish my wife and daughter were not so happy here in California. I want out. At least the fishing is good here!

kerby9mm
03-14-2012, 04:22 PM
Does California keep all the crime restricted like they do the guns for law abiding citizens? Good for you getting what you wanted originally.

drgad
03-15-2012, 08:08 PM
Opinion on the PM40 vs the PM9? I have the PM40 and like it, a lot! I figure, for the same size pistol, why not? Beyond that, if I ever had to actually use it to defend my life, or my wife or family or friend, I am certain that I'd be glad I had a 40 over a 9. BTW, I also have a KelTec Pf9 (hard chrome) and a Glock 27 (40). I carry the PM40 every day (front right pocket). Until I got the G27 and PM40, I was all 9mm - but I do like having the larger firepower! (BTW: I found the PM40 new on Bud's Gun Shop, called around, and one of my local GS's said he'd match the price! Paid 615.00 for it.) :typing:

gm412
03-26-2012, 09:17 PM
Picked up my new PM9 this Saturday but the range was too busy. I finally got to the range this afternoon. I put 250 rounds through it with the 6 round clip. Absolutely perfect. Not a single problem. I used 100 rounds of Remington and 150 rounds of Federal. What a wonderful gun. Great gun to shoot. But I need practice with it. I was shooting low to the left when I wasn’t 100% concentrated on control. Nice strong shooter with reasonable recoil. Now I wait for my 380 from KAHR. They said it is a 3 week turn around.

Ken_K
03-27-2012, 07:22 AM
I was shooting low to the left

That's from jerking the trigger instead of pressing it straight back. If this is your first double action pistol then lots of dry fire practice will get you used to the trigger pull without having to head to the range. :)