PDA

View Full Version : AR15 Build

Ken_K
03-13-2012, 12:15 PM
Well, finally pulled the trigger on my AR build. Got a DPMS stripped lower coming tomorrow, a chrome lined RRA light weight middy upper, A2 carry handle, RRA single stage LPK, Magpull CTR stock, and two Pmags coming in Friday. Needless to say I'm stoked beyond belief lol. Good thing the GF will be out of town horseback riding this weekend so I can give my full attention to my new baby. :D

Ken_K
03-14-2012, 02:41 PM
No AR fans here? Guess that's what I get for posting in a Kahr forum :rolleyes:

Bawanna
03-14-2012, 02:51 PM
There's lots of AR fans here, not sure where they all are right now. Post pictures when you get it together or even action shots of it going together.

Pictures really bring out the AR fans around here.

Thunder71
03-14-2012, 03:09 PM
I are one. :D
Don't know much about it but it's fun to have and shoot.

Sent using Tapatalk on Android

air8
03-14-2012, 04:00 PM
I is one too. Waiting on more info and pics. Guess I skipped over this thread when viewing the new posts. Can't see everything on the dang phones. They ain't fast enough yet. LoL.

Bawanna
03-14-2012, 04:09 PM
There's some SR1911 fans here, we could talk about that until more of the Mattel rifle folks come around. Huh, huh, could we, could we.

I got a major want AGAIN. I suck.

jeepster09
03-14-2012, 04:36 PM
I don't have one but have been getting the urge to get one and add a Bump Fire Stock before they become ill-legal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U6tORrODJE

Bawanna
03-14-2012, 04:42 PM
Bud's has the bump fire stocks, I'm surprised they have made it this long. I'd order one up NOW if your ever thinking of getting an AR platform.

jeepster09
03-14-2012, 04:44 PM
Ahlman's has a ton of them in stock......I think I better call them and have them hold me one.

Thunder71
03-14-2012, 04:59 PM
I need to go there one day, very close to my house.

jeepster09
03-14-2012, 08:32 PM
I need to go there one day, very close to my house.

I'm about 40 miles from them. Another favorite for me is Hart Brothers in Albert Lea.

http://www.hart-bros.com/homeNorth.aspx

Ken_K
03-14-2012, 09:06 PM
I picked up the lower today at the local pawn shop. They are on Bud's preferred FFL list so it was a simple click and ship deal. Everything else will be in Friday and I'll be sure to post pics of it going together. I've shot and handled AR's but never actually owned one until now. I know a decent amount about them from playing with some friend's AR's so I pretty much know how they go together. I can't hardly wait until Friday! Good thing I'm off that day :D

Scoundrel
03-14-2012, 10:00 PM
Bud's has the bump fire stocks, I'm surprised they have made it this long. I'd order one up NOW if your ever thinking of getting an AR platform.

Damn you guys. DAMN you, I say!

:smash:

jlottmc
03-20-2012, 06:28 AM
You can keep the bump fire stock, and I still haven't shot my new AR. As a guy with a secondary MOS of 2111 (Marine Corps Armorer) I have seen many an M16 break, which is kinda good for me cuz I can fix the weird problems, and do it blindfolded. I shied away from the AR platform for the longest time because of that. Now the wife wants me to build her one.

chipD
03-20-2012, 07:07 AM
Hi jlottmc, I was an armorer in the USAF while stationed at Grand Forks. It use to amaze me when a troop would put the firing pin retaining pin through bolt backwards. Of course they would have to charge it and get the bolt stuck were the rifle breaks down. anyway have fun with your AR and thank you for your service.

jlottmc
03-20-2012, 09:11 AM
I'll beat that one by a mile. My own little brother (he is much younger) put the rifle back together with the bolt carrier group in backwards. How he did it still baffles me. I know the charging handle was upside down, but how does it even go in with the bolt to the rear facing the buffer tube? He called me, the day after I had given him a crash course on it, and said he think he broke it already. Wasn't hard to fix, but still the how. My favorite thing to do when I got an adam henry, was to Q-tip inspect their rifle, I can always find dirt some where. A trip behind the delta ring is a good place to start, followed right behind by the point inside the upper receive where the gas tube comes in. We had more problems with people losing the firing pin retaining pin than improper re-assembly.

TD2K
03-20-2012, 10:33 AM
I'm a fan. Here's some pics of my build. I ended up putting a Tactical Solutions AR-22 SB-X Upper on it, and I'm having a ball!

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/5692/20110101180908536.jpg

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/6203/20110101180835968.jpg

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/6906/ar153.jpg

melissa5
03-20-2012, 03:24 PM
Daniel Defense - I guess I really need to build one.

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/7581/dscn2061b.jpg

apheod
03-20-2012, 04:55 PM
ill play.

THIS is my BOOMSTICK!!

http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/r506/apheod/DSC01022Large.jpg
http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/r506/apheod/DSC01023Large.jpg

it's a bravo company 14.5" mid length upper, BCM bolt and gunfighter charging handle, PWS muzzle brake, spikes tactical lower, VTAC QD sling, magpul furniture, daniel defense lite 9" rail, tango down grip, daniel defense lower parts kit, optic is an EOTech 556 with a GG&G flip up cover. there's a forward QD point on the rail so i can quickly switch the sling from 1 point to 2 point.

planning to take off the A2 front sight and put on a troy flip up, swap out the rear magpul sight to a troy also. also going to add a flip to side 3x EOTech magnifier. after that i think i'll be pretty happy with the way it's set up.

i may add a light at some point, but don't really feel the need for it. my 590a1 has a rail mounted light, i can always throw it on the AR if i absolutely need to. it's unbelievably accurate and has almost no recoil. i shoot it in 3 gun competitions quite a bit. my only complaint is that muzzle brake makes it loud as all hell for the shooter, but that comes with the territory i guess. i wouldnt want to shoot it without hearing protection.

jeepster09
03-20-2012, 05:00 PM
I gonna build one like this.....

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/jeepster09/Waffe.png

Ken_K
03-21-2012, 09:47 AM
UPDATE:

I got the LPK, buffer assy, and CTR stock on Thursday, then the upper on Friday. Taking my time it took about 45 minutes the put the lower together, and without a single scratch too! Lol. I didn't think to get a magwell vise block so I just used an adjustable woodworking clamp with non-marring pads to hold the lower in place. Once I had the upper in hand it was just a matter of setting it on the lower and pushing in the two pins. There is a slight gap of 0.006 between the upper and lower, which isn't bad at all. The RRA upper is really nice, especially for the money. I was thinking about going with a BCM upper with a 1/8 twist but the one I wanted was $200 more than the RRA and sold out.

I took it out Saturday to get it sighted in (A2 carry handle) and at 50 yards all holes were touching on 3-shot groups. I didn't do any other accuracy testing other than shooting at silhouette targets from 100 - 250 yards in the standing position.

For a simple mid-tier rifle I really like it. I have a MOE handguard on the way so I can mount a flashlight and AFG in the near future. Optics wise I still have no idea :confused:

apheod
03-21-2012, 10:12 AM
Stag and RRA are great if you don't intend to shoot them a LOT. The extra money in the BCM you get back in service life. By a lot, I mean a LOT. I put about 2k rounds a year through my AR, so the BCM was worth it for me. They're supposed to be good up to about 40k rounds.

Ken_K
03-21-2012, 01:47 PM
I look at it like this, if I can afford to shoot out a chrome lined barrel then I can afford to replace it lol.

Barth
03-21-2012, 01:52 PM
I look at it like this, if I can afford to shoot out a chrome lined barrel then I can afford to replace it lol.

LOL
I feel the same way in general about firearms.
Who puts enough bullets through any gun to wear it out?
I mean really?

Some folks talk about the life span of alloy frames as well.

Ken_K
03-21-2012, 02:30 PM
Only gun I MIGHT be able to wear the barrel out on is the 1911. I can load 50 rounds for about $3.75 so it's extra fun to shoot. As far as the AR barrel goes, if your not an operator or competitor I doubt that most people would shoot it out.

BTW, I'm not saying that the BCM barrels aren't worth the extra money, I just didn't feel like having to wait to get one.

apheod
03-21-2012, 04:28 PM
LOL
I feel the same way in general about firearms.
Who puts enough bullets through any gun to wear it out?
I mean really?

Some folks talk about the life span of alloy frames as well.

competitive shooters. i wore out a glock 22, and people always go on about how durable glocks are.

the chrome lining can also improve feeding/extraction and reduces cleaning effort. being that i shoot the hell out of my guns, i figured i would rather have more durability than i really need. plus, i got a great deal on the upper. :D

Barth
03-21-2012, 04:47 PM
competitive shooters. i wore out a glock 22, and people always go on about how durable glocks are.

the chrome lining can also improve feeding/extraction and reduces cleaning effort. being that i shoot the hell out of my guns, i figured i would rather have more durability than i really need. plus, i got a great deal on the upper. :D

I have six barrels for my G27
(and four recoil spring assemblies).
Couldn't you just drop a new barrel and recoils springs in and continue shooting?

Was the gun really worn out, or just the barrel???
As far as I'm concerned, that's like tires on a car.

apheod
03-21-2012, 06:10 PM
the barrel, and had an extractor and slide release both break on me within about 500 rounds of each other. sold the pistol for 275 just to be rid of it, it was my first firearm and i was ready to move on.

in retrospect, it was the least safe, least reliable (except for my k9 elite before kahr made it right) most overrated weapon i've ever owned. even before things started breaking, i had numerous fails to feed and eject. but when i bought it i knew nothing about weapons and glock was the most familiar brand name to me.

Barth
03-21-2012, 08:35 PM
the barrel, and had an extractor and slide release both break on me within about 500 rounds of each other. sold the pistol for 275 just to be rid of it, it was my first firearm and i was ready to move on.

in retrospect, it was the least safe, least reliable (except for my k9 elite before kahr made it right) most overrated weapon i've ever owned. even before things started breaking, i had numerous fails to feed and eject. but when i bought it i knew nothing about weapons and glock was the most familiar brand name to me.

Wow.
I've got about 3500+ flawless rounds through my gen 3 G27.
I think maybe it's just barely broke in - LOL!
Seriously, it looks and runs like NIB.
I did change the recoil assembly, but that's it.
I don't see me being able to wear it out.
Other than just replacing some parts down road.

sounds like you got a lemon

TD2K
03-22-2012, 06:50 AM
We (finally) took apart the Kriss this week to give it a MUCH NEEDED cleaning. The barrel is shot, no pun intended. It is a "test" gun for the dept, and I know we put at least 5000 rounds thru it ourselves. We were pretty amazed how dirty it was and that it still functioned flawlessly. When we told the Kriss reps at the SHOT show, a few of them were also amazed, but the "head guy" said "DATS NO GOOD!"

Chowser
03-25-2012, 02:21 AM
first AR build (around Christmas 2011)
Palmetto State Armory stripped lower
and PSA's 14.7" cold hammer forged complete rifle kit with magpul marts. Then I stuck an EOTECH XPS2.0 on it and an Elzetta Light. The sling mount is a Noveske quick detach with a cheap single point sling from Midwayusa. I liked the EOTECH and Elzetta so much, I bought them again for my second rifle build.

.http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/1255/dsc00157io.jpg

This one went faster than the first build since I had to learn everything on the first build (thank you youtube). Anyways, this is also a PSA lower with their lower parts kit. PSA's 14.7" cold hammer forged light weight profile upper with YHM diamond free float rail, Elzetta light in a VTAC offset mount, the EOTECH XPS2.0 again and a Noveske quick detach sling mount, this time with a Blackhawk single point sling. I opted to put Magpul's ACS-L stock on it. I like the cheek weld on it better than the standard MOE stock. First rifle is very lightweight, this one with the rail is heavy.

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/8568/psayhm147.jpg

I am now debating doing a pistol build next or actually doing a 16" build. I have several stripped lowers sitting around waiting and wanting...then again, i might just break down and do an SBR/Suppressed .300BLK rifle.

Bawanna
03-25-2012, 10:54 AM
I like the look of both of those. Nicely done. I'm usually a black or stainless kind of guy (old school) but like the color contrast on # 2.

I traded off my AR, had a Match Target, just like bigger bullets. Like the platform, maybe a 6.8 or a 7.62x39 in the future.

I find where I used to like rifle, longer bigger size guns, I'm dropping back to lighter shorter, more compact desires these days too.

Think I'm getting soft?

I think I read the same stuff and work on the officers rifles at work and forget that a dude in a wheelchair has got no business thinking about doing what they do either. Warm thoughts but unrealistic.

jlottmc
03-25-2012, 01:00 PM
Let me know what you think of that .300AAC blackout. I have a hankering for a new caliber for my rifle. Coupled with the fact that the wife wants one now, and I think I have a few projects lined up. I like that light mount on the first AR. and since I like a simple rifle, may have to see about one of those.

yqtszhj
03-25-2012, 05:13 PM
It's great.

jlottmc
03-26-2012, 06:27 AM
Well it looks like I get to start the ball rolling on a build for the wife also. I like my Bushmaster, but for her I think I'll go a different route. I'm still planning all this out and she wants a shotgun first. I am putting a detachable A2 rear sight on mine (no optics), and for hers I may use the Magpul rear that comes off of mine. I may build me an old friend latter as well (20" straight A2), and maybe some different uppers in various calibers. I think I created a monster with the wife though.

Ken_K
03-30-2012, 12:05 PM
Pics are coming up this weekend one way or another dang it! Lol.

I just ordered a QD limited rotation socket for the MOE handguards along with two QD sling swivels from IWC.

Ken_K
04-02-2012, 06:18 PM
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/4315/img3824large.jpg

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/546/img3827large.jpg

Finally! Lol. It's nothing too special, just a simple lightweight rig. I have an IWC limited rotation QD sling mount coming for the MOE handguards. Also picked up a pair of LMT QD sling swivels.

I never tried stippling anything before so I figured using a $14 magazine to start with wouldn't hurt too bad if I messed it up. I think it came out ok, I really like texture.

yqtszhj
04-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Nice job.

Ken_K
04-08-2012, 05:37 PM
IWC limited rotation MOE sling point and LMT swivels. So simple but so nice! :D

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/9316/img3851large.jpg

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/1045/img3854large.jpg

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/2994/img3855largelarge.jpg

lowroad
04-08-2012, 06:51 PM
Tastefully done, sir. Personally, I hate the machined lego look. I am also of the opinion that if an AR doesn't have a carrying handle something is off. I've built a few here and there. The only one I kept was from the 'nam era M16A1 parts kit :)

Ken_K
04-08-2012, 07:35 PM
Thanks! I wanted this rifle to be simple and light weight. I couldn't see spending good money on a quad rail when all I wanted to run was a side sling mount and light. I've been thinking that if I build another AR it's going to be an A1.

lowroad
04-08-2012, 08:01 PM
Thanks! I wanted this rifle to be simple and light weight. I couldn't see spending good money on a quad rail when all I wanted to run was a side sling mount and light. I've been thinking that if I build another AR it's going to be an A1.
I don't know if the kits are still around, but if so, get one while you can. Nodak spud is the man for the retro lowers. :) There are some legalities that need be performed to make things legal. I can help you with that if/when the time comes.