PDA

View Full Version : 22 caliber video

Popeye
03-14-2012, 06:51 AM
Happened to stumble on to this this morning over on XD talk.

Here's a little something to ponder on the 22 caliber round.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUM1r_444CY&feature=player_embedded

Thunder71
03-14-2012, 07:41 AM
I keep my 10/22 and Walther P22 loaded with CCI Stingers, I have no doubt they are capable weapons.

Tinman507
03-14-2012, 07:45 AM
Good Stuff Popeye. Thank you!

melissa5
03-14-2012, 10:59 AM
"A .22 will kill the crap out of ya!" :)

Scoundrel
03-14-2012, 11:09 AM
Excellent video.

All posturing and bravado aside, it's a very useful caliber.

wyntrout
03-14-2012, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the post. I might be looking for a deal on a .22LR, probably a Ruger 1022, at the gun show this coming weekend. I CAN shoot that at the range I use and I do have the large capacity magazine and loader already.

I decided against the .40 S&W hi-cap pistol for a plinker, since it's snappy recoil would make it harder for followup shots. I had might as well use my XD45.

While I REALLY don't want another 9mm, it might make more sense for target shooting with quicker followup shots. I was thinking XDM9 or M&P Pro 9mm, but I can at least get a .22 rifle... SS & synthetic stocked 1022.

I'm gonna check out Ballistics-by-Inch and see if they give muzzle energy as well as velocity for the .22 ammo. 59 ft-lbs for a .22LR sounds like a lot! I'm sure the Stinger is just about the best ammo. I use it for defense loads on my .22 pistols.

If anyone is at the gun show here, I usually go late afternoon on Saturday. I wear a name tag with Wynn, wyntrout and kahrtalk on it, as well as the NRA/USA pin. I can never get there before 2PM... just can't get going! IF I could stand wearing a hat indoors, I would wear a Kahr cap.

Wynn:)

Popeye
03-14-2012, 01:02 PM
Your welcome. I thought some of you might like that Video. Seems many forget or can appreciate just how valuable a decent 22lr rifle can actually be. My 10/22 might not be my favorite rifle,or my most deadly, but I sure don't take it's value lightly. Doing to the lack of recoil I could have three 22lr yellow jacket HP's in a BG at a pretty good distance before he ever felt the first one enter his body. I'm always amazed just how accurate a 10/22 is straight out of the box. Put a small inexpensive Red Dot site on it it becomes better yet.:D

I honestly never knew just how effective,and how much fun a 22 rifle could be till about 6 months ago. 22 ammo has come a long way.

wyntrout
03-14-2012, 01:54 PM
440 yards was a shocker. I don't know what the ballistics look like, but the holdover must have been significant, and just hitting ANYTHING at that range with the wind they had must have required some luck, too. I WAS surprised that the bullet could cleanly penetrate... without key-holing... at that range!

chrish
03-14-2012, 02:19 PM
Great video, great topic. Had a guy tell me one time "yea, so it'll definitely kill you, but the ammo is not consistent, you may get a flyer, miss your target, then you've announced your presence". My response, in a self defense situation, if I have to shoot someone w/ a .22, they aren't going to get just one. I'm going to unload, in the general head area, and they'd have to ALL be flyers. Knowledge of my presence is not a concern I have since I'm not a sniper or assassin.

wyntrout
03-14-2012, 02:34 PM
I was looking at CCI .22 LR ballistics and comparisons:

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/pestcontrol_specialty.aspx

The Quiet 22 starts out with a muzzle energy of 45 ft-lbs... too little for fatal hit???

And the Green HP is down to 39 ft-lbs at 100 yards, and the Quiet 22 is just 36 ft-lbs at that point.

PELLET rifles don't even have MUZZLE energies THAT high!

wyntrout
03-16-2012, 12:07 PM
I think that something besides foot-pounds needs to be considered when talking about penetration. The diameter of the bullet is very important. I don't know what size projectile the "Government Testers" used to determine the energy for penetration of 1/2" pine boards, but if 59 ft-lbs is the energy they came up with, it's not for every diameter bullet... or bullet shape.

Those .22LR rounds penetrating the board at 440 yards certainly didn't have nearly that much energy left. Some .22's don't have that energy at the muzzle and I'm sure they'll go through 1/2" of a pine board, as will some pellets.

It's like the difference between putting a regular-sized hammer on your stomach and letting someone drip a one-pound weight onto the hammer from a height of 1 foot. That won't hurt, but now let's try an icepick... or NOT... that would likely penetrate 2 or 3 inches!:eek:

It's like women in stiletto heels on a vinyl floor vs. a one-inch square walking heel. Let's say 130-lb woman and that the stiletto heel is about 1/3-inch square vs. the 1-inch square... the standing pressure would be NINE times as much PSI under the stiletto heel, all else being equal.

So, 59 ft-lbs for .22LR penetration of a 1/2" pine board just doesn't compute.

Popeye
03-16-2012, 03:03 PM
Wyn
Here's some tech data I found on a box of Hypersonic Remington Yellow jackets you might want to have some fun with.
Bullets Wt= 33 Gr.
Bullet style=Truncated Cone hollow point.
Muzzle velocity=1500 FPS
1075 FPS at 100yds
Muzzle Energy =165 FT- LBS
85FT-LBS at 100 yds.

Here's what I know.It might not be very scientific but it makes sense to me. If I take a 20 OZ hammer and try to drive a 16D (penny) nail in to a 4x4 with one hit and it's not going to go in to far. Now if I take the same hammer and same block of wood and use a 6D (penny) nail it's going in a lot farther using the same force.

Using this carpenter Wood VS Nail theory my mind tells me that at a 100yds something as small as a 22lr round traveling at 1075 ftps with 85 FT lbs of energy hitting my body is not going to make for a fun day.:(

AJBert
03-16-2012, 05:21 PM
I can attest to the effectiveness of the .22lr at a quarter of mile. Many years ago, "someone" very familiar to me decided to take some pop shots at the neighbor's cattle, at least a quarter of a mile away.

Using an old, break action, single shot (with the original octagonal barrel) rifle, this "person" walked the shots up by seeing dust fly when the bullets hit. Don't recall the holdover require exactly but I'll say it was in the neighborhood of 4-5 feet.

Each time one of the cows jump, said "person" patted themselves on the back for being such a crack shot.

Now, all this being said, said "person" was around the age of 10 and was very well trained on using a firearm. Just not the smartest when choosing targets. And said "person" thought that at that range a little ol' .22 would be like getting hit by a spitwad at no less than ten feet.

Well, the little neighbor girl, whose daddy happened to own the cattle, asked the boy if he or his family had seen anyone shooting at the cattle from the road at any time. Shocked and/or amazed, the young boy stated, "No, why do you ask?"

Because the cattle had bullet holes in them.

Let's just say that this possibly hypothetical "person" never did anything like that again.

And the cattle lived happily ever after as they were Hostiens after the vet extracted a little bit of lead just under the skin.