PDA

View Full Version : Masterpiece arms protector 380 pocket pistol

patgwashere
03-15-2012, 04:54 PM
Hi All
Just received my MPA Protector 380 yesterday. I got it from buds and it was the newer protector 2 model.
i bought the stainless model for $285.
the gun was fired first time today at the range.
50 blazer fmj and 10 speer gold dot HP were shot with zero problems.
the gun has a ported barrel so recoil was actually less than I thought it would be for such a small gun (it is smaller than my LCP) It was very hard to field strip the first time I did it but the second time it was much easier.
Gun is made from solid block of steel. there is no cast or mim parts.
Cant speak for accuracy because my range was overcrowded and I could only get the 20 yard lane.
I cant hit the target often with my LCP from this far and the same went for this gun.
If it performs as well at 7 yards as my lcp does I just might have a new favorite pocket pistol.
If you get one of these order more recoil springs as it is recommended to change them every 200 rounds.
masterpieces website charges ridiculous shipping but if you order by phone they will mail parts for $5.00
there are 2 springs an inner and outer and they cost $2.00 each.

here a link to description on there website
https://www.masterpiecearms.com/special-info.php

kerby9mm
03-15-2012, 05:07 PM
That's a cool looking little gun. Looks to me a lot like a Seecamp. Is just the slide stainless. Tell me more about it.

patgwashere
03-15-2012, 09:11 PM
That's a cool looking little gun. Looks to me a lot like a Seecamp. Is just the slide stainless. Tell me more about it.

from their website

Upper Slide Machined from a Solid Billet (Block) of 4140 Heat Treated Steel or a Solid Billet (Block) of 416 Stainless Steel - Not produced from a casting
Lower Receiver Machined from a Solid Billet (Block) of 4140 Heat Treated Steel
Blowback Design, Fixed Barrel, Advanced Ergonomic Grip Design for Better Control and Shooting Confidence
here is link to further info
https://www.masterpiecearms.com/special-info.php

I also added more pictures comparing it to my Ruger LCP

Alfonse
03-16-2012, 04:08 PM
That is a beautiful little gun! I have been thinking about a .380 for carry when the PM9 is just a bit too big. I was thinking about a Taurus 738ss. But, I'm a sucker for a mechanical thing of beauty, and the Masterpiece is a thing of beauty. The price is attractive as well.

JFootin
03-16-2012, 05:13 PM
Yeah, I noticed that gun awhile back. Machined out of solid steel - nice! I have one important question: how stiff is the trigger? You see, I have crippled hands and can't handle a 10+ lb trigger.

KMA
03-16-2012, 05:58 PM
Congrats on the Protector! I have been looking at them for a long time now; they are very interesting pistols.

muggsy
03-16-2012, 11:15 PM
Yeah, I noticed that gun awhile back. Machined out of solid steel - nice! I have one important question: how stiff is the trigger? You see, I have crippled hands and can't handle a 10+ lb trigger.

Stick with the P380, J.

JFootin
03-17-2012, 09:59 AM
Stick with the P380, J.

I'm a cheapskate! The price of a new P380 makes me go :eek:. And I'm not going to buy a used one. I guess I'll have to wait for the CW380. :rolleyes:

MichSteve
03-17-2012, 10:49 AM
The one that I had was junk, it would eject a spent round and a fresh one every time I shot it. It was better with a new recoil spring, I sold it because it would take the skin off my trigger finger no matter how I held the gun.

wyntrout
03-17-2012, 10:55 AM
The P380 is an exact copy of the PM9... only SMALLER... with ALL of the "Big Gun" features... NO SURPRISES, or changes in the manual of arms when switching to it from the other larger Kahrs.

Wynn:)

Popeye
03-17-2012, 11:14 AM
Hope it works out for you. That LCP or P3at is about as small as I can go on a .380 and I do not much enjoy shooting them.

Cokeman
03-17-2012, 01:36 PM
What are its measurements?

balok1701
03-27-2012, 05:52 PM
I second your desire for a CW or CM 380! I really wish Kahr would make them. At the opposite end of the size spectrum I would like to see Kahr do some double stacks with 5" barrels.

muggsy
03-27-2012, 06:19 PM
I'm a cheapskate! The price of a new P380 makes me go :eek:. And I'm not going to buy a used one. I guess I'll have to wait for the CW380. :rolleyes:

I'm waitin' too, but I ain't holdin' my breath. :)

HDoc
03-28-2012, 11:39 AM
The P380 is an exact copy of the PM9... only SMALLER... with ALL of the "Big Gun" features... NO SURPRISES, or changes in the manual of arms when switching to it from the other larger Kahrs.

Wynn:)

And that makes the tolerances more critical. Love my P380, but it's more of a pain than my PM9. For one thing it's extremely picky on what I feed it.