PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 100 ATR rifle

getsome
03-16-2012, 01:36 PM
Hello all...I'm thinking of picking one of these bolt action rifles up soon but have no experience with any center fire rifle other than my current Marlin 30-30....

The rifle is available in .270 or .308 and I wonder how much difference there is between the two...I'm leaning towards the .270 for less recoil...I really don't NEED a new rifle but just want one and this one is available with a 3x9 scope already installed and with factory iron sights for only $299.00....If I get it I will most likely put the scope on my 30-30 and get a nicer Nikon mid priced scope for it...I own a Mossberg 500 shotgun and it seems to be well made and has never failed me so I'm hoping this will be a decent rifle and I like that its made in America...

Every review I've read said it was a fine entry level shooter and hangs in there with much higher priced rifles... Its certainly nothing to look at with the black polymer stock but it would do for my use, is priced right and made in USA...I will mostly use it for general target shooting as I don't hunt anymore but my son is interested in trying hunting hogs and perhaps trying for deer next fall so I thought it would be good for him to use......

Does anybody own one of these or know anything about one and I would appreciate your input on the differences between .270 vs .308 caliber as far as accuracy and recoil go...The article I read said that this rifle is very light and the recoil with .308 is pretty heavy but not too bad...In my old age I would prefer a lighter kicking caliber but one that is accurate and will get the job done....Once again thanks for your help in advance...

Bawanna
03-16-2012, 01:43 PM
I don't own that particular model but have several 500 shotguns and 2 or 3 Mossberg 22 target rifles. I think they make good stuff and are underated in my own small feeble opinion.

I doubt you'd notice a whole lot of difference between 270 and 308 far as felt recoil. The 270 is a wonderful flat shooter and generally very accurate.

The 308 is a little more versatile when it comes to bullet weights and options.

Either would work a ok for hog or deer.

Both are built on the same case, hold the phone, a 270 is a necked down 06 isn't it just a smaller diameter bullet. So 270 would be long action where the 208 would be short action. Is my memory working here. Kind of been away from rifles in recent times. Personally I'd probably opt for the 270 myself but I really got no strong reason why.

getsome
03-16-2012, 02:03 PM
Thank you oh wise one...Thats what I was thinking to go with...I don't really need the thing but it would be nice to have when the ZOMBIES show up!!!!...:w00t:

Bawanna
03-16-2012, 02:31 PM
Thank you oh wise one...Thats what I was thinking to go with...I don't really need the thing but it would be nice to have when the ZOMBIES show up!!!!...:w00t:

Congrats on hitting the 1000 mark! One other thing to consider since you mention Zombies, 308 will always be available just about any place, any mom and pop sporting goods store will have 308. 270 probably but not so much.
Police, military, all those guys are gonna have truck loads of 308 if you have to scavenge.

Hate to muddy the waters but something to consider. I've been an 06 guy my whole life (well that and 416 Rigby) but I've been considering getting a 308 just cause of dept snipers, my sons sniper rifle and all. I'll no doubt end up reloading for him so might as well have a rifle I can shoot it with too.

Seems fair right? Plus I just sent a message to Mrs. Bawanna letting her know your getting a new gun so I should too. No response yet.

AJBert
03-16-2012, 06:08 PM
I am all for Mossberg 500's, but that is about where my love for Mossberg ends. I see too many people day in and day out say, "Heck, for that price, how can I go wrong?" They usually figure it out soon enough. (Think ANYTHING from Hi Point)

Not trying to knock Mossberg at all, I just prefer other manufacturers when it comes to rifles. Much the same goes with my shotguns.

As for the .270 vs .308, you can't go wrong with either caliber. They are both very effective rounds. I would say the .308 would probably win in accurracy when you are counting X's to determine the winner.

I personally prefer the .270 (blame my grandfather). Everyone in my family has them and that is what we use for hunting elk and muleys (though I do bring either my Mod 94 in .32 Win Special or 1896 Springer .30-40 Krag for timber hunting).

If you enjoy reading the classics, see if you can find a vast number of articles by Jack O'Conner. Truly a man who LOVED the ol' .270. I know Cabela's carries a few books of the many articles he had written over the years.

carkarrier
03-16-2012, 06:38 PM
I don't own that particular model but have several 500 shotguns and 2 or 3 Mossberg 22 target rifles. I think they make good stuff and are underated in my own small feeble opinion.

I doubt you'd notice a whole lot of difference between 270 and 308 far as felt recoil. The 270 is a wonderful flat shooter and generally very accurate.

The 308 is a little more versatile when it comes to bullet weights and options.

Either would work a ok for hog or deer.

Both are built on the same case, hold the phone, a 270 is a necked down 06 isn't it just a smaller diameter bullet. So 270 would be long action where the 208 would be short action. Is my memory working here. Kind of been away from rifles in recent times. Personally I'd probably opt for the 270 myself but I really got no strong reason why.
I will throw in my vote for the 308. Versatile as stated and probably one of the few rifle rounds you will find(other than 22) in large numbers. Used in civilian and military operations and can be found at most stores carrying ammo. I would not be afraid to get the Mossberg. They may not be as pretty as the higher price brands, but you can stock up on ammo with the difference. I have a 60's era Mossberg Chuckster, 22 magnum, 26 inch barrel and it has been a solid companion in the field. And it is deadly accurate and I don't use a scope. Compare, analyze, and make your own decision. If you are happy with your choice, you will be happy with the gun.

chipD
03-16-2012, 07:09 PM
Hi, those have caught my eye as well. I don't have a HP rifle and would like to pick one up some day. I have also heard good things about Savage rifles in that same price range. Nothing wrong with putting paws on a few different brands when shopping.

chipD
03-16-2012, 07:20 PM
Oh yea, Of the two cals. I would probably go with the .308, but both would be a fine choice. I think when I do pull the trigger on one I will get the old boring 30-06. That's just me and I'm not in a big hurry as Ohio Don't allow HP rifle hunting, but I still would like a bolt action someday.

AJBert
03-16-2012, 11:05 PM
Oh yea, Of the two cals. I would probably go with the .308, but both would be a fine choice. I think when I do pull the trigger on one I will get the old boring 30-06. That's just me and I'm not in a big hurry as Ohio Don't allow HP rifle hunting, but I still would like a bolt action someday.
Must really suck to live in Ohio, aside from the asinine laws against HP rifles...:2rolleyes:

carkarrier
03-17-2012, 11:09 AM

You need to move to South Carolina. Everybody here has two or three and if you buy a pickup truck, one comes in the back window(LOL). Sorry about your laws there. Maybe things will change in the future if we clean out the WH and Congress in November. Lets hope!!!!!!