PDA

View Full Version : Solution to MK9 black guide rod

ORSalesRep
03-17-2012, 03:58 PM
Hey folks,

I initially purchased a Kahr stainless steel guide rod which worked great, but being that it was a captive spring design requiring loctite to be used to keep the springs in place, I wasn't a huge fan of this design once it came time to change recoil springs. I ended up purchasing Wolff Springs Guide Rod Spring set for my MK9 elite. I then used a dremel with a felt wheel and some Flitz and polished off the black paint to a mirrored stainless finish. Took maybe a half hour. The paint came off easy and it polished up very nicely. Now, it is a non-captive design, looks great and changing recoil springs will be cheap and easy.

SethP
03-17-2012, 04:38 PM
So are you saying the Wolf guide rod is superior to the Kahr replacement in terms of it being a 'drop-in'?

ORSalesRep
03-17-2012, 05:42 PM
So are you saying the Wolf guide rod is superior to the Kahr replacement in terms of it being a 'drop-in'?

IMO, yes. With the Kahr stainless steel guide rod, you will have order it with springs or cut the plastic portion of your factory guide rod in order to get those springs off. Which ever way you go, you will then assemble the Kahr stainless guide rod withe springs on it and then screw the cap one end to hold the springs in place using loctite on the threads so that the recoil doesn't loosen the guide rod assembly. When changing recoil springs as time goes by, you will have to break the loctite to get the old springs off.