PDA

View Full Version : Magazines Dropping Free?

Bob Landry
02-09-2010, 06:48 AM
C&S claims as part of one of their packages, modifying the polymer frame to allow a magazine to drop free. Inside the grip, I see a couple of raised ribs on each side that looks as though they serve as a guide to hold the mag straight. Any idea what kind of mod they are doing. I'm thinking that if you go in and start creating clearances, such as sanding down the ribs, that's going to lead to magazine seating issues or feeding problems. Just curious

Dobieman
02-09-2010, 06:53 AM
What gun do you have?
My CW45 mags drop freely when released. Actually dropped freely when not released until I got a new mag catch body from Kahr :rolleyes:

Bob Landry
02-09-2010, 07:02 AM
I have the CW9. You actually have to grip the basepad and pull it from the frame. I'm going up to pick up another mag from Dawson and I'll ask him if that's normal and if so, what can be done about it. I can also do round cutouts at the bottom of the grip for finger grip like yu see on a lot of Glocks if I need to, but if there's an internal change that will do it I would rather do it that way.

Dobieman
02-09-2010, 07:10 AM
Some of the 9 owners will have to chime in here.
My 45 drops freely as stated and I prefer that. Let us know what you find out and what you do.

Cornhusker
02-09-2010, 07:12 AM
has been brought up many times on the forum. I think if one drops without some assistance, it is an exception. Personally, I don't find it to be a problem. Do a search for all the info you may want.

getsome
02-09-2010, 08:26 AM
My CW40 will drop the mag, empty or loaded...You can take some 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper and smooth up the seam on the back of the magazine and also the mag well on the pistol...I wouldnt try and do anything further up in the gun but a fluff/buff around the opening will help....One other trick is to use some solvent, brake cleaner etc and clean the magazine then after drying apply some good car wax to the outside let dry and buff...I bet it will fall out now on its own....

jeep45238
02-09-2010, 08:39 AM
Every CW series we had at the shop dropped free. My T40 drops free if I don't over-tighten the grip screws.

Possibly the mag, mag catch, or you not depressing the release completely and holding it there.

jocko
02-09-2010, 11:02 AM
My PM9 has never dropped free, and I put a sert of mag well cut out in the grip and actualy like it that way. No chance of dropping a fully loaded magazine that I accidently bmped the release and didn't know it. . I personally like a tighter fit of my magazines insde the grip area. Prevents mags from moving all over hell and possably causing some issues...

rkirk
02-09-2010, 11:55 AM
I have a CW9. I have a spare 7 round Mag from Kahr. Neither magazines full or empty drop free. I have no problem with that and have already learned to release the magazine and replace the empty with another. I am surprised given the quality of this pistol and the magazines that they do not! My guess at this point is Kahr wants their pistol and magazines to operate this way?

-- Richard

SureShot
02-10-2010, 09:44 AM
I have a CW9 with two mags one standard 7 rd. and one 8 rd. with a grip extension. Both will drop freely with a full load but only the 8rd. mag will drop empty. Only thing I can think of is the7 rd. 9mm empty mag is not heavy enough to drop. Talked to KAHR and they said it would get better after firing the gun and it gets hot. After 200 rds no changes yet. Personally I don’t think it’s a big dill, but would be nice if they drop freely for quicker reloads. So I can be like the pros on TV. Need a lot more practice time before that happens. :):):)
Paul
A proud NRA & TSRA member

buster
05-30-2010, 01:28 PM
That was what the tech guys told me also. Even when firing 200 rds. sometimes they drop amd some times they don't. When the gun is cold forget it.

OldLincoln
05-30-2010, 01:45 PM
I suggest you read this thread: http://kahrtalk.com/p-cw-series-pistols/2230-cw9-mag-not-dropping-free.html

It gets a little off track but the discussion is a process. I especially encourage you to read my posts at the end. I fixed my problem and it wasn't what I originally thought it was.