PDA

View Full Version : Black residue?

jkalantzis
02-09-2010, 11:59 AM
I noticed that after shooting my PM9 it was left with a black residue on the front part of the slide. I have used solvent to remove it but it seems that after a few hours it returns. Is this normal with this gun?:confused:

500KV
02-09-2010, 02:33 PM
I noticed that after shooting my PM9 it was left with a black residue on the front part of the slide. I have used solvent to remove it but it seems that after a few hours it returns. Is this normal with this gun?:confused:
You seein' powder residue or is it something else?
If it's powder residue, that's normal with any weapon.

getsome
02-09-2010, 02:42 PM
Just be sure to unload the pistol and then lick the residue off... There's nothing like the taste of gun powder in the morning.... It's good for you and will make hair grow on your chest...:001_tt2:

jkalantzis
02-09-2010, 02:50 PM
Just be sure to unload the pistol and then lick the residue off... There's nothing like the taste of gun powder in the morning.... It's good for you and will make hair grow on your chest...:001_tt2:
your right that does taste great! However the powder residue is still there. It seems as though the slide is discolored from shooting her.

500KV
02-09-2010, 03:36 PM
If it was mine I'd just shoot it...clean it...shoot it...clean it, etc.:)

Dietrich
02-09-2010, 04:06 PM

I`m not worried about my chest.What`s making hair grow on my palms? :confused:

Bawanna
02-09-2010, 04:06 PM
If it was mine I'd just shoot it...clean it...shoot it...clean it, etc.:)

Perhaps, shoot it, lick it, shoot it, lick it would be an ideal scenario.
Unloading seems so time consuming also. Was it Wyn that likes to look at hollowpoints down tubes? Maybe he has some input?
I'm assuming if it's showing it must be a stainless slide. When I go to church picnics or sunday go to meetins etc or I'm trying to sell a gun I use either Flitz or stainless cleaner and it usually will take that off. Like the front of a cylinder on a stainless revolver. It gets all black and unsightly. A brass brush, or a bit of fine steel wool sometimes helps the process. M pro 7 or Hoppes Elite (same stuff) seems to cut that pretty well for me also.:001_tt2:

mx5fan
02-09-2010, 04:08 PM
Just curious, do you have the black slide or stainless? I have the stainless and other then powder after shooting, I have no residue or staining whatsoever on my slide.

wyntrout
02-09-2010, 06:25 PM
I happened onto this post before anyone else had replied and I thought of several questions, but they were covered, and as far as loaded or not, I do believe in unloading a pistol before trying to clean it. I mean, part of the slide removal process IS to pull the trigger. I can see a possible conflict there. The first thing that popped into my mind was what finish the slide was. And whether that was powder residue. Some bore-cleaner should help remove that and I would watch what kind of steel wool I used, IF I were going to get steel wool near my gun. Never... Never use regular steel wool on any kind of metal. There is stainless steel wool and maybe some other non-rusting metals as well. Regular steel wool can impart particles to another metal surface and rust rapidly later. Steel wool is very reactive to oxygen and rusts rapidly... or BURNS rapidly. Just about anything will burn if pulverized enough... even explode if powdered and blown into the air -- grain silos are a good example there, but I've gotten a bit off the subject... which was... Oh! trying to get crud off the front end of the slide. It probably is like the residue on the front of a revolver cylinder, but perhaps without the lead buildup.
There is also a product called Lead Wipe by Remington and maybe something similar by other companies. I have some here that is who knows how old but I just put it in my range bag last trip. It "Quickly lifts lead and carbon deposits from cylinder face, forcing cone, and frame of stainless-steel revolvers." This is a Dupont product, Remington #18413. This might do the trick but I have no idea if you can find any. I suspect this is 30 years or so old and of dubious utility now... but I just can't throw sh*t away! It's in a ziplock bag but who knows? Pix follow. I love my camera. It's set for 640 by 480 now.
Wynn:D

Ha! Bawanna45cal! You thought I wouldn't have something to say, huh. I waited until others had a chance to consider the problem. Dang, I just got an uncontrollable urge to fondle my PM9 and make sure it's loaded, without disturbing the cartridge in battery. Hmmm, I wonder how I could do that? Pix!

jkalantzis
02-09-2010, 07:21 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions but I guess the real question I had was once it is cleaned it looks like new, then a few hours later the discoloring comes back.

mx5fan
02-09-2010, 07:51 PM
JK,

I've got to say, I think that sounds really strange, so I would suggest you contact Kahr and explain what's happening and see what they say.

jkalantzis
02-09-2010, 08:06 PM
I will contact them tomorrow and let you know what they say. I agree it is very strange. Wait a minute I just thought of something, I'll be right back.

jkalantzis
02-09-2010, 08:11 PM
I will contact them tomorrow and let you know what they say. I agree it is very strange. Wait a minute I just thought of something, I'll be right back.

I am such a dumb @#$. After blowing through some ammo at the range my pistol was filthy and I just threw it in my holster before leaving. Whenever I put it back in my holster she gets dirty. The inside of my holster was filthy at the bottom right were the residue keeps showing up.:crazy:

wyntrout
02-09-2010, 08:49 PM
Good one! :third::cheer2:
Wynn:p

I don't think that's so bad. I was trying to take my new-to-me PM9 apart and tapping the slide release pin on the other side like I do my Kahr K9. I didn't read the frakin' manual. The polymer frames have those witness marks to line up -- I wondered what the frak witness marks were. I posted pix of my exact centering of the slide release in the notch... like the K9. Somebody finally told me what to do and the pin comes out with finger pressure. I'm glad that I was only "tapping" it with a screwdriver handle and not a frakin' hammer! A little BSG cussin'.
Anyhow, I'm sure there are worse frakups. We're out here!
Wynn:crazy::w00t::madgrin::der:

jkalantzis
02-10-2010, 08:01 AM
Good one! :third::cheer2:
Wynn:p

I don't think that's so bad. I was trying to take my new-to-me PM9 apart and tapping the slide release pin on the other side like I do my Kahr K9. I didn't read the frakin' manual. The polymer frames have those witness marks to line up -- I wondered what the frak witness marks were. I posted pix of my exact centering of the slide release in the notch... like the K9. Somebody finally told me what to do and the pin comes out with finger pressure. I'm glad that I was only "tapping" it with a screwdriver handle and not a frakin' hammer! A little BSG cussin'.
Anyhow, I'm sure there are worse frakups. We're out here!
Wynn:crazy::w00t::madgrin::der:

Thanks Wynn I feel a little better now.

wyntrout
02-10-2010, 08:39 AM
jkalantzis, you're welcome. We all love a good laugh now and then, even at our own expense. It can boring sometimes, but some of us try to inject a little humor... or controversy! :D
Woohoo! An eagle almost flew over our house just now. Every time I see a big bird, I'm looking for an eagle. I just saw an osprey a few minutes ago. I would have a better view upstairs but I'd have to run up and down stairs every few minutes... and the coffee pot wouldn't be handy.
What part of our sunny (today) state do you live in. I'm in Jacksonville about 150 yards south of Mill Cove which is just west of the Dames Point Bridge on 9A. I'm about 3 houses away from the water and if I go out the back gate, there's a little park with a boat ramp. The water is tricky out there because it's so shallow in most places. You really need to know what you're doing out there, but I didn't know it was so shallow when the location led us to buy this house.
I'm just happy we can see some water -- it's not crowded like some subdivisions, and I see lots of all types of birds.
If the weather holds up and warms up a bit -- it's 42 in the shade of our back porch -- my wife wants to go over to the beaches and walk around before dinner there. It might still be chilly with a bit of wind, but it's pretty right now.
Wynn:)

jkalantzis
02-10-2010, 09:07 AM
I live in the city of Cocoa Beach home of the famous Ron Jon Surf Shop. I've been here most of my life, a few short years in the northeast. I love this state. I know what you mean about being able to see water. I live on a barrier island where the Banana River is in my front yard and the Indian River is in my back yard. I'm happy to have found some great people here on KT I have just recently found the wonderful world of handguns a few months ago. I must say it is extremely addicting. I have a glock 17 and a pm9 and looking for whats next... anyway i'm just rambling on. I guess I just wanted to say Thanks.

wyntrout
02-10-2010, 09:33 AM
You're welcome. I was born in Tampa on the other side of the state where I got lots of beach time and fishing. My parents divorced when I was 7 and we left the state but my siblings and I would visit out father most summers and get to the beaches. When my wife suggested the Gulf Coast -- Alabama and the Florida Panhandle, I said that I wanted to be on the ocean and let's go on over to Jacksonville It was a lateral move from San Antonio cost-of-living-wise. I'm glad we came here. Both of us are retired from the USAF and having the large Navy presence here is great. We have the large hospital at JAX NAS and clinic at NS Mayport where we go for regular medical needs.
The only bad things are bugs the year round and the threat of hurricanes. I see that your area is a bit more exposed than ours, but you have a much better view of the shuttle launches. Not the least of Florida's attractions is the SENSIBLE CCW law!:D
Again, welcome to the forum!
Wynn:)

Bawanna
02-10-2010, 10:17 AM
Wyn, I knew you'd have something to say, was surprised it took so long. What makes steel wool burn so nice is the oil on it that keeps it from rusting. I use it freely getting rust off blued guns that people neglect and want me to save. It usually works pretty well. I do thoroughly flush the whole deal afterwards to remove the particulates you described. When getting ready to blue you need to remove the oil from the wool so you don't get oil and have adverse effects on the blueing process. It's all rock and roll to me, or maybe disco. Waylons got me in his sights now for sure.
As far as cleaning I was just talking about cleaning the unsightly muzzle end. Didn't plan to dissasemble, pretty much just lick aggressively but unloading is safer I reckon.
I agree on the cylinder face comparison (did I mention that). Same thing hopefully on a slightly lesser scale.

wyntrout
02-10-2010, 11:16 AM
A big factor in burning or oxidation is size and surface area exposure, allowing RAPID oxidation. This affinity for oxidation increases as the substance approaches molecular or atom size. This is why flour or even chalk dust can explode in a confined space with sufficient distribution into the air it requires to oxidize rapidly, or combust. Steel wool makes good tender for spark or electrically started fires.
I wasn't thinking of any oil on the steel wool, but that stuff is so fine and particles of it are even finer, that it can become imbedded in metal surfaces and later cause "rust" on the "host" as it rusts. I'm no expert and don't presume to tell you to alter what you've been doing, if that works for you. But you could look at using stainless steel wool, especially for surfaces like SS that you don't want to induce rust onto. I'm sure it's available in boating stores.
I don't remember where exactly I saw the cautions for this, but for sure in use with boating SS and aluminum items.IMHO.:)
I imagine this stuff -- regular steel wool -- would be spectacular in a microwave. I once put a radiometer -- the light-bulb-looking vacuum device with opposite sides of each vane blade painted black on one side and white on the other. Oh, frak! I'll take a picture... everyone may not understand what I'm talking about. I just went outside and made sure that it was the black side that absorbs the sun's various emitted particles and propels the vane in the opposite direction. This was the basis for the solar sail for cheap space travel, if a bit slow. See how I can get easily "carried away"? What the frak (SciFi fans recognize the GSB "profanity") were we talking about?
Anyhow, I'll post a picture of the radiometer, but I won't try to re-create the microwave experiment. The needle in the thing went incandescent like a flashbulb! :2eek: Jeez, I was startled but was able to very quickly turn the mw off. The radiometer doesn't seem harmed, but that was frakkin' scary!
I don't remember if I got anywhere with what I started yakking about, but I'll shut up for now and take a picture.
Wynn:D