PDA

View Full Version : Rear sight

jbwk254
03-19-2012, 08:37 AM
So I just noticed today that my rear sight no longer has the white bar. I didn't even realize that it could come off :banghead: .Must have fallen off at the range the other day. So much for dotting the I...

I would rather not paint the sight since the gun is pretty much brand new and I shouldn't have to. Can this be replaced without having to send to kahr?

http://img.tapatalk.com/473cb26b-44ad-1980.jpg

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

lowroad
03-19-2012, 09:26 AM
It's just paint. If you cleaned it with anything like brake cleaner, it will come off. Hoppe's #9 might even strip it, I don't know. If it were me, I would just paint a strip back on there and call it a day.

jbwk254
03-19-2012, 11:53 AM
It's just paint. If you cleaned it with anything like brake cleaner, it will come off. Hoppe's #9 might even strip it, I don't know. If it were me, I would just paint a strip back on there and call it a day.

Didn't realize it was just paint. I thought it was plastic of some sort. In that case, any suggestions on the best paint to use? Hopefully there is something better so it doesn't come off so easily.

Kahrbonized
03-19-2012, 12:10 PM
I once had a Beretta that I painted the sights with some of that Bright-Sites Ghost Glow paint. It worked pretty well for years and was still on when I sold the gun. During the day it looked like a green dot and at night it glowed (not as well as tritium but visible). Now that you reminded me, I may do it to my CM9.

TucsonMTB
03-19-2012, 12:33 PM
Yeah, the dot on my front sight "fell" off my first PM40. It had to go back to Kahr anyway for another problem, so I asked them to fix it. They replaced the sight.

If you are not already sending you gun in for some other warranty products, a little Testors model paint, available at toy stores everywhere, might make more sense.

Best of luck!

jeepster09
03-19-2012, 12:50 PM
Didn't realize it was just paint. I thought it was plastic of some sort. In that case, any suggestions on the best paint to use? Hopefully there is something better so it doesn't come off so easily.

I have had great success with "Fishing Lure" paint, very durable. Most colors available too. I have used the bright green on some front sights.;)

JFootin
03-19-2012, 01:09 PM
I have had great success with "Fishing Lure" paint, very durable. Most colors available too. I have used the bright green on some front sights.;)

Good idea, Jeepster! :) Another suggestion is to clean the sight thoroughly before painting it to insure that it will stick.

HDoc
03-20-2012, 02:33 PM
Cheapo solution:
If you have a spray can of white enamel appliance paint or rustoleum lying around , spray some on a piece of aluminum foil and use a toothpick as a paint brush. Works well and does not come off easily once dry. Make sure area is oil free and clean.

ColdDeadHands1
03-27-2012, 12:51 AM
I have used the wife's fingernail polish after degreasing with brake cleaner with great success when sights on various guns needed refreshing!

kerby9mm
03-27-2012, 02:42 AM
I have read about the brake cleaner method of flushing out the striker channel since I joined the forum. Just started hearing about the sight paint coming off. Good thing I never used the brake cleaner to save a couple bucks over the clp stuff. Would have spent a quarter to save a nickel for the sight damage.

wagon
03-27-2012, 02:16 PM
So I just noticed today that my rear sight no longer has the white bar. I didn't even realize that it could come off :banghead: .Must have fallen off at the range the other day. So much for dotting the I...
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Did you use BrakeKleen ? Ask me how I know :D

jbwk254
03-27-2012, 03:59 PM
Did you use BrakeKleen ? Ask me how I know :D

Actually I used safari land powder blast gun cleaner

drillnow
03-28-2012, 02:53 PM
Might try this to replace the paint on the sights, it works great. You have to "charge" it with a flashlight to get it to glow in the dark. Works great for 3+ hours then starts to get dimmer in a few. The price id right for what it does. Best to clean the pistol first as instructed then cover with clear mail polish............. http://siteglo.com/

flieger67
03-28-2012, 03:22 PM
The range that I shoot at has a PM9 as a rental. One day while I was there, the range officer noticed that the white bar was missing. He took some White-Out and dabbed on the rear sight. He used a little cleaner of some sort to wipe off the excess. Not high-tech and probably not long-lived, but it's quick and easy. It did look like a stock sight, though.

I would think that the fishing lure paint or Rustoleum would be a more durable solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

jocko
03-28-2012, 03:59 PM
Actually I used safari land powder blast gun cleaner

if u had read the directions on that GUN BLAST it definitely tell s you to keep it off of painted surface and wood grips. I was out at wal mart today and reread that POWDER BLAST can and yup its there. It is a good cleaner, some sights are blued and ur Ok some are painted and u gotta be alittle careful where u spray. I kocked up a good set of Herretts grips on my Model 60 due to getting some Hoppe's #9 on the finish. Thanks to Bawanna all is well now. common sense has to be used WITH ANY CLEANER.