PDA

View Full Version : PM9 or P9

Birdtrd
03-19-2012, 06:41 PM
I currently own a T9 and a PM9. The T9 is a Cadillac and a joy to shoot. I see that one hanging around for a long time (especially since it's my wife's favorite).

My PM9 leaves a hair of doubt in my mind. It shoots well and I love how small it is for CCW. The doubt comes in the fact that the grip is so small it can be tricky to draw from some of my holsters (Galco ankle glove, Stellar Rigs pocket with extra mag slot, Crossbreed mini tuck, and a Cobra IWB).

I'm considering bumping it up to a P9. I like the idea of a slightly bigger grip for the draw, an extra round in the mag, and a bit of extra velocity from the extra 1/2" of barrel. It also only weighs like 1 oz. more.

Does anyone have both?

Does the P9 work in pockets? Not my usual carry but called on from time to time. Most of my pockets look like they can handle an extra 1/2" in height and length.

Any noticeable difference on the waistband?

Ankle? I use this one at work. I'm in LE.

As a side note, my pocket holster is the only holster I have that won't work with the larger gun. It's always nice to not need to buy another couple hundred dollars worth of holsters.

At this point, I think I'll trade but I always appreciate opinions and advice. What do you think?

druryj
03-25-2012, 08:24 AM
I had both and traded the P9 away. For me the PM9 works well in my pocket; the P9 did not. My PM9 has the best trigger I have ever felt. I normally carrry it IWB in a PJ Holster or a UBG Striker, but in slacks, it rides in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. Sure the grip on the P9 is nice but you give up some concealability...as most of us know, every handgun you consider is a trade-off in some respect. I considered all those and decided that the PM9 fit my needs better. If I want a longer grip, I'll saddle up with my Glock 19.

TucsonMTB
03-25-2012, 09:43 AM
I had both and traded the P9 away. For me the PM9 works well in my pocket; the P9 did not. My PM9 has the best trigger I have ever felt.
+1 . . . Substitute a CW40 for the P9 (same size and also traded away) and a PM40 for the PM9 (same size and now have two) and we have the same experience. Admittedly, the longer slide and grip of the CW (and the P) make for a sweeter shooting pistol. But, even in the chinos with generous pockets that I usually wear, the larger pistol is a hassle. The PM just disappears! :)

Birdtrd
03-25-2012, 10:38 AM
I've been giving it thought and I think I'll keep the PM9. Neither the P9 or the PM9 is my first choice for a gun fight. They are both simply better than nothing. The added concealability of the PM9 probably outweighs the added grip comfort and minimal velocity increase of the P9.

Thanks for the advice.

Bawanna
03-25-2012, 10:45 AM
Step up to a PM45. Still not a pocket gun but rides nicely on the ankle or waist and works great in a Ballistic Vest holster.

Might have to buy a holster or two but worth every penny.

And it shoots real bullets too.

Be safe out there.

jocko
03-25-2012, 11:00 AM
yes the kahr 45 is nice and the real bullets go so damn slow, u can use themn time and time and time again. Great gun. compared to a PM9 it is like the titanic and a small fishing boat. Oh thats right the titanic sunk!!! didn't it.

Birdtrd
03-25-2012, 12:09 PM
I love the 45 but I personally don't trust it with anything less than a 4" barrel. It is already slow even in a full size gun. The super low velocity coming out of a tiny barrel really concerns me with both penetration and expansion.

chrish
03-25-2012, 01:10 PM
Sounds like you already decided, but I did have both...PM and P, got rid of the PM because of the short grip. Wasn't confident drawing, shooting was also not comfortable. P9 is near perfect for me, my hands, drawing, shooting. Picked up a TP as well, but for different reasons. I just wasn't happy w/ the compactness of the PM.

jocko
03-25-2012, 01:34 PM
for damn sure if a PM model doesn't fit ur hand, never go to a 380...

chrish
03-25-2012, 01:42 PM
I guess I also didn't answer the other questions...from my perspective.

Pocket carry a p9? Not really in most cases, just a bit too big. But in jeans with untucked shirt, I do carry my p9 that way from time to time. I use it in a desantis nemesis.

Difference iwb? Not really, I was concerned about that but the. 5 inch on the grip doesn't really change iwb carry and concealment. If I cant my tp9 enough, it even disappears. If iwb is going to be your primary carry method, I would say you'd love the p9 over the pm9.

Ankle, dunno, never considered this for either and probably will not as it's my primary carry. If I do a backup, it'll be my P9 with something else as primary. I'm not an LEO and if I can't do it in 8 rounds, I'm in a no win situation to begin with.

Holsters. I run the p9 in the same comptac iwb I bought for the pm, b/c I was smart (once in my life) and ordered it in a slide version knowing I might not like the pm. I use the same holster for the TP as well. Pocket desantis works for both the p9 and pm9, the p9 comes right to the end, but it works.

jocko
03-25-2012, 01:47 PM
pretty hard to condemn a P9, certainly IMO not a pocket gun, nor IMO designed to be one but if it fits for one, then it is what it is. If I was gonna IWB OR OWB, it would not be a PM series anything. P series or CW series would do super. in the polymer series but n the steel just hard to beat the K series.