PDA

View Full Version : CCW holder in FL shot 17yo

knkali
03-20-2012, 08:13 AM
The shooter has a CCW and was on neighborhood watch when this happened.

Thoughts?
http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/19/10766858-justice-department-fbi-to-probe-shooting-death-of-florida-teen-trayvon-martin

knkali
03-20-2012, 08:18 AM
Bawanna, we need your hardened street wise cop skills ( like Quincy/Columbo) to super slooth out what happened. Did the CCW guy go looking for a fight? Was he playing cop? Seems like it could be a possibility.

kgturner
03-20-2012, 09:01 AM
From everything I've read of the case, this Zimmerman guy pursued the kid, got out of his car, and chased him through the neighborhood despite being told by 911 dispatch to back off and wait for the police. The kid, Trayvon Martin, had only a couple of bags of Skittles, a cell phone, and a can of iced tea on him. I haven't heard Zimmerman's side of the story so I'll reserve judgement, but on first blush, he made so many mistakes that I cannot see how he isn't being held responsible for this child's death.

Kevin T

JFootin
03-20-2012, 09:37 AM
That self appointed community watchDOG was already a loose cannon. Made dozens of unnecessary 911 calls. Disobeyed, followed and provoked an unjustified confrontation with an innocent young man. I think this guy was looking for an opportunity to shoot and kill someone. I 100% think he should be arrested and charged with murder!

joot
03-20-2012, 10:32 AM
Very sad, just so sad a young man have to died....because of what ?

Bill K
03-20-2012, 10:47 AM
From what I've read and listened to on TV, HAVING NO OTHER KNOWLEDGE, this self appointed Neighborhood Watch went way beyond the bounds of what his actions should have been. I know of no sensible CC holder who would have done as he did.

redbeardmcg
03-20-2012, 11:03 AM
I think we need to look at this from a holistic perspective; this will undoubtedly have an impact on most of us on this forum -- particularly those who reside in Florida.

It's unfortunate how much pull celebrities [read:detached social radicals] have in this nation. This Zimmerman guy does not represent even the smallest minority of people who CCW -- and in my opinion should be tried for his own PERSONAL actions -- yet celebrity induced outcry from bleeding-heart "progressives" will undoubtedly result in yet another absurd piece of legislation set in place to attack those who observe their second amendment right.

Bawanna
03-20-2012, 11:10 AM
I'm steering clear of this one. Remember the only information you have access to is what the media and the dept involved decides to tell you which usually is not very much.

Now let me behind the yellow tape, look at reports and witness statements and I'll put my slooth hat on. I know more about what not to tell and what not to say than what to decipher from media reports.

Me thinks there a few missing pieces in the puzzle here. I'll hope that this doesn't create heartache for CCW carriers nation wide but especially in Florida.

LMT42
03-20-2012, 11:51 AM
I think we need to look at this from a holistic perspective; this will undoubtedly have an impact on most of us on this forum -- particularly those who reside in Florida.

It's unfortunate how much pull celebrities [read:detached social radicals] have in this nation. This Zimmerman guy does not represent even the smallest minority of people who CCW -- and in my opinion should be tried for his own PERSONAL actions -- yet celebrity induced outcry from bleeding-heart "progressives" will undoubtedly result in yet another absurd piece of legislation set in place to attack those who observe their second amendment right.

This will affect us because the cops didn't arrest Zimmerman under the "stand your ground" law. This is a black eye on CCL holders and the SYG law itself. The cops should be well aware that Zimmerman left his vehicle to pursue this kid - that doesn't fall under stand your ground IMO.

I couldn't agree more with kgturner and jfooting - this Zimmerman guy is a loose cannon. He should be arrested immediately IMO.

Bill Sander
03-20-2012, 12:45 PM
Sure sounds like enough info since he (alledgedly) left the safety of his car to pursue the youth. I am sure he will be arrested and charged.

carkarrier
03-20-2012, 12:49 PM
I'm steering clear of this one. Remember the only information you have access to is what the media and the dept involved decides to tell you which usually is not very much.

Now let me behind the yellow tape, look at reports and witness statements and I'll put my slooth hat on. I know more about what not to tell and what not to say than what to decipher from media reports.

Me thinks there a few missing pieces in the puzzle here. I'll hope that this doesn't create heartache for CCW carriers nation wide but especially in Florida.

Totally agree with you on this We have no info on autopsy. What distance was he shot. It is tragic and gun and ccw critics will be out in force. Hope the full investigation indicates self defense.

knkali
03-20-2012, 01:08 PM
Another incident where everyone lost.

jdavis
03-20-2012, 01:19 PM
Watching the local news it looks as if a lynch mob is being formed. They have already tried and convicted Zimmerman. The reporter stated the Rev. AL and Rev. Jesse will soon arrive. I am certain that they will calm the protesters and offer the voice of reason to the situation.
As Bawanna stated, we are only hearing one side of this story. I suspect that there is more to this story.

knkali
03-20-2012, 01:36 PM
we will never know it...the other side is dead

Bawanna
03-20-2012, 02:04 PM
The investigators speak for the dead. The youth is dead but his story isn't over.

Sad deal all around but again everything we hear is ran through a coffee filter so we'll never know.

Since the Revs are enroute you can rest assured I no longer have any interest in this case.

muggsy
03-20-2012, 06:40 PM
The investigators speak for the dead. The youth is dead but his story isn't over.

Sad deal all around but again everything we hear is ran through a coffee filter so we'll never know.

Since the Revs are enroute you can rest assured I no longer have any interest in this case.

+1, Bawanna. A man is supposed to be presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law, not a court of public opinion.

knkali
03-20-2012, 08:13 PM
+1, Bawanna. A man is supposed to be presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law, not a court of public opinion.

You are right. However, the 911 call is a fact and I heard him say to the dispatch that he is following the guy because he looks up to no good and dispatch told him not to a let the police handle it. While dispatch is not an authority on what to do, it was obvious that dispatch felt nothing good would come from him following the kid so dont do it. That is quite damning to his defense and we will have to see how he digs out of that. But again you are right and I will not comment on this again until more is learned. I sincerely hope this young man did not lose his life because of the color of his skin.