PDA

View Full Version : rack the slide 500 times then...

djsung815
03-20-2012, 12:16 PM
can you rack the slide too much?
after cleaning the gun, while watching TV, whatever...
i've gotten into a habit of racking the slide about a hundred times every time i clean the gun...does this hurt my PM9 at all?

Bawanna
03-20-2012, 12:20 PM
No harm that I can think of and it's good hand and arm exercise to boot.

You will reach a point where the benefits will probably diminish or become non existent but the exercise will still be there.

ripley16
03-20-2012, 12:33 PM
What do you expect to gain? I can see racking the slide a couple times to make sure the gun is back together correctly, but any more than a few is a waste of time IMHO. I see no harm, but nor do I see any valid reason.

340pd
03-20-2012, 12:43 PM
It is my guess that you will just have to replace the recoil spring assembly a lot sooner than necessary.

Tinman507
03-20-2012, 12:46 PM
My eyesight begins to suffer when racking too often. :eek:

Deano
03-20-2012, 12:49 PM
My eyesight begins to suffer when racking too often. :eek:...That has never been proven!

SpecK
03-21-2012, 02:36 PM
I dunno about waste of time...

Bawanna has a good point about muscle memory...when your fight or flight and tunnel vision kick in and you need to clear a round... you are already ahead of the game...its like 2nd nature racking it..

Maybe the recoil spring could go faster but 1 round exploding inside the firearm has more energy than you handracking 20-30 times so I dont see it as a big deal. In fact, I might start handracking more (cuz I've got alot of that free time in front of the TV you talked about)

Oh, and you can impress everyone with your skills...:crazy:

wyntrout
03-21-2012, 04:51 PM
Dang! Is that an O.C.D. thing??:rolleyes: If it's a new unfired gun, I can see doing it 10 to 20 times. It's more fun if you're firing 200 rounds at the range, though.

Wynn:)

bandrich
03-21-2012, 05:13 PM
IMHO racking the slide is a waste of time. I racked my CM9 500+ times and when fired slide stuck back anyway. Should have it back tomorrow from Kahr after three weeks and three days. :rolleyes:

cesande
03-21-2012, 05:19 PM
I see no problem... Rack as if you are loading a round from slide closed...
HARD and propper rack each time.
Kahr support when talking with them about the same issue and they told me.
"I should treat 1000 hand racks like around 100 to 200 live rounds."

I don't go to 100 but do at least 25 hard racks through the complete cleaning process ....

CJB
03-21-2012, 05:55 PM
The spring set, or alteration of its set, is dependent not only on the number of times that the spring is compressed, but how fast and to what extent.

Since the extent of compression is fixed, the only variables are how many times, and how fast. Bad news - speed of compression matters a lot. Hand compression of the recoil spring will loosen it up somewhat, but shooting the pistol will loosen it up as it was intended to be loosened.

jocko
03-21-2012, 06:08 PM
WOW. such a big deal about hand racking the slide, so for the benefit of all. I have changed my propper prepping thread to numerous times instead of a numbered post. It was never mean to be gospel and the beginning of the post it was stated THESE ARE SUGGESTIONS. Whether it helps or not is debateable but IMO it certainly does no harm, ain't gonna wear springs out faster as the bang thing is what really gets springs to their designed set--that is a given. I hope "numerous" times does not produce now two or 3 pages on a subject that was merely a suggestion.. just sayin.

muggsy
03-22-2012, 05:14 PM
I've been doing it for so long that I can switch hands and gain a stroke. Trouble is that since my vasectomy only a puff of smoke come out. I'm shootin blanks. Oh, I'm sorry, we were discussing guns again. My bad. :yo:

wyntrout
03-22-2012, 06:10 PM
Something like any more than two shakes and you're playing with it??

Wynn:D

BOBBO268
03-22-2012, 09:01 PM
My eyesight begins to suffer when racking too often. :eek:

use this the next time you're racking http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2yv8zWOhz8zf8opnxw8nAaj70vYBuH GJCSiy5ngAAokxJRdTE