PDA

View Full Version : Mailman won't deliver due to neighbors chained pitbull

TriggerMan
03-20-2012, 02:31 PM
My GF's mother, who lives in Detroit, has a problem that just started. She lives in a neighborhood of small bungalows on even smaller lots.

Mail was delivered a day late with a note explaining that the neighbor's pitbul prevented delivery earlier. The dog is chained and can't reach Mom's porch. Not sure how far the chain allows the dog to trespass onto the lawn of her house.

What will the Post Office do, if anything, as follow up? What can we ask them to do? Is this already a police matter? Do I send the dog a 9mm message first chance I get if he trespasses?

Ideas, experiences, suggestions?

Bawanna
03-20-2012, 02:37 PM
Mail carriers are generally experts at dealing with animals especially dogs. Usually the answer is pogie bait, like dog biscuits etc. I know our UPS and Fed Ex drivers both have a large supply of snacks. I've seen them both quite aprehensive near their trucks and I've told them both if they are concerned to let me know and I'd try to talk to the owners for them since they usually don't have time to daly. We have a couple Rotties which are just the nicest dogs you'd ever meet but they of course don't know that and they are rather intimidating.

If the mail carrier was so concerned for their safety that they couldn't deliver the mail to mom, it's definitely a LE matter now.

Animal control at the very least. Special requirements usually for a dog declared dangerous, like fencing etc.

We got a couple mail carriers here, I'm not sure where they go with something like this when they can't deliver. Have to ask my mom. She was a mail carrier and had a ton of dog stories too.

chrish
03-20-2012, 02:43 PM
You mean, that's all I have to do to stop getting junk mail! Who knew. Sweet.

Tinman507
03-20-2012, 03:36 PM
Now if I can just get a cyber Rottweiler to scare off email spammers.

OldLincoln
03-20-2012, 04:06 PM
Grrrr.... Ruf!.... Ruf!

SpecK
03-20-2012, 04:50 PM
My grandparents had an issue like this with a neighbors dog...

USPS refused to deliver to the entire neighborhood until:

A) the dog was secured inside the house at all times or
B) the homeowners moved or got rid of the dog

After about 2 months of driving down to the PO to get the mail everyday, Gpa woke up one morning to find a dead dog in the neighbors yard.

Even though that dog was a bastard (the owners fault for chaining him up in 100 degree heat with no food and water; i think after all the mistreatment he went finally snapped) well even after all that Gpa still wont fess up to where the bullethole came from....Im pretty sure he has a fantastic idea who did it (hmm i wonder) but he's afraid of backlash from the owners if he admitted it-- but i know the mailcarrier and everyone else in the neighborhood was all good with it....

either way, 1 douche can ruin it for everyone else, and yeah that goes for your nudie magazine subscription too :banplease:

Kiehtan
03-20-2012, 04:53 PM
I wouldn't shoot it unless it breaks its chain and attacks. Otherwise you're asking for trouble, legal and from the neighbor.

Chief Joseph
03-20-2012, 06:27 PM
Pitbulls getting loose in my neighborhood was the final reason I got my conceal permit. Getting a knock on your door Saturday morning from the Sheriffs deputies, telling you they've trapped them in your back yard, then watching them have to tase them to get them under control.

TriggerMan
03-21-2012, 12:32 AM
I only visit there about six times per year. There are two legged reasons to carry there as well. Mom moves real slow with her walker and there is a lot of exposure getting her out of the car, up her stairs onto the porch and through the door. It's a ghastly neighborhood.

TriggerMan
03-21-2012, 12:36 AM
I wouldn't shoot it unless it breaks its chain and attacks. Otherwise you're asking for trouble, legal and from the neighbor.I'm told the dog is quiet and appears calm and friendly when Mom's family shows up. Maybe it's only the mailman/mailwoman who sets it off. My GF's sister believes the Mail Carrier who walks this route will be initiating whatever action is deemed possible and necessary. We'll mind our own business so to speak.

Longitude Zero
03-21-2012, 08:04 AM
Pitbulls are not the only breed the USPS has no delivery areas. Basically if a large dog, over 25 lbs, is agressive toward a carrrier twice they deem it a threat and can stop delivery. Thye had way too many carriers attacked, chased, bitten.

If you call the local authorities they can and will do NOTHING. They will tell you it is a USPS matter. My dept refuses to even take reports on citizen complaints about restriced or stopped mail delivery.

JFootin
03-21-2012, 09:42 AM
I wonder if some sort of civil court action could be done against the owner. Personally, I don't understand or approve of the penchant that some people have to own such a dangerous dog. I think it borders on criminal behavior.

My brother likes big dogs, although he had 2 or 3 Great Danes that are like big puppies, wanting to get in your lap and slobber all over you. But he had a tall, long legged, muscle bound male Boxer that he kept unleashed in a side yard with a 4' fence that abutted the street, and he would bark and behave aggressively toward anyone going by or approaching, and he could have effortlessly jumped that fence. When he looked at you, there was zero fear or submission, no playful friendliness, just sizing you up as a threat. I told my brother that dog was deadly dangerous, but he just dismissed my concerns. I'm glad he finally came to his senses and got rid of him.

muggsy
03-23-2012, 07:35 PM
Now if I can just get a cyber Rottweiler to scare off email spammers.

I once had a run in with a Rottweiler that was pulling 25' of tow chain that was attached to a cinder block. That cinder block was once buried in the ground. Thankfully I was carrying a shotgun at the time. Fortunately I didn't have to use it. Froggy backed off when I raised the gun and went back to the farm house. When I got back home I changed my shorts.