PDA

View Full Version : 9mm critical duty

kahrnut1
03-22-2012, 01:46 PM
Midway is now shipping 9mm critical duty +p 135gr they do not have non +p yet. I shot 25 today out of pm9 and no problems. The round is 1.138" long compared to critical defense at 1.067 so quite a bit longer than crit def. But is shorter than wwb fmj at 1.155. For somebody that wants a little more power this should do the trick.

Ken_K
03-22-2012, 02:18 PM
I watched some testing of critical duty last night on shooting USA, seems to be good stuff. Keep in mind though all the testing was done by Hornady :rolleyes:

Bill K
03-22-2012, 02:24 PM
Wish they had named it differently so that Hornady CD would still have meant Critical Defense. Now we've got to spell it out.

Ken_K
03-22-2012, 02:35 PM
Wish they had named it differently so that Hornady CD would still have meant Critical Defense. Now we've got to spell it out.

So I'm NOT the only one annoyed with that lol.

Bill K
03-22-2012, 02:44 PM
So I'm NOT the only one annoyed with that lol.

Maybe we can just start referring to it as H135? :)

trikerbiker
03-22-2012, 07:59 PM
Just wondering why you would want a round that is designed to be better against barriers when most people in everyday life situations should be more concerned with over -penetration? just asking... safe shooting trikerbiker

BOBBO268
03-22-2012, 10:19 PM
remember, the hornady rounds do not meet FBI standards, they say that clearly in their video (maybe its just the ones with the orange plastic in the tips) but it should always be taken into consideration. IMO they are a "boutique" round designed to sell. 9mm is a small round already, so i'm not going to risk it anymore with a round that cannot meet FBI standards for adequate penetration.

I don't want to get in an argument, i'm just stating what i know. Federal HST are IMO and many others, the best expanding round out there. In most situation over penetration shouldn't really be a problem. Gelatin is one thing but there are many obstacle to get through. And a lot of the time if you NEED to use your gun, it won't be in a large crowd.

Ken_K
03-23-2012, 09:02 AM
Maybe we can just start referring to it as H135? :)

Sounds like a plan to me lol.

a lot of the time if you NEED to use your gun, it won't be in a large crowd.

That's something that I believe is overlooked most of the time. IMO with a lower power round such as 9mm the risk of over penetrating your target isn't that great. Lack of penetration and not having full and consistent bullet expansion are my main concerns.

engine12
04-02-2012, 06:26 PM
remember, the hornady rounds do not meet FBI standards, they say that clearly in their video (maybe its just the ones with the orange plastic in the tips) but it should always be taken into consideration. IMO they are a "boutique" round designed to sell. 9mm is a small round already, so i'm not going to risk it anymore with a round that cannot meet FBI standards for adequate penetration.

I don't want to get in an argument, i'm just stating what i know. Federal HST are IMO and many others, the best expanding round out there. In most situation over penetration shouldn't really be a problem. Gelatin is one thing but there are many obstacle to get through. And a lot of the time if you NEED to use your gun, it won't be in a large crowd.

The Critical Duty Surpasses FBI standards.....

Mr. S
04-02-2012, 06:47 PM
The Critical Duty Surpasses FBI standards.....

I'll believe it when I see some independent testing.

John Law
04-03-2012, 11:53 AM
kahrnut1,
Check out Tnoutdoors9 on You Tube. He tests a lot of ammo in all calibers by different manufacturers and has some great videos. He just did a test of the Hornady Critical Duty. JL

Bill K
04-03-2012, 12:18 PM
kahrnut1,
Check out Tnoutdoors9 on You Tube. He tests a lot of ammo in all calibers by different manufacturers and has some great videos. He just did a test of the Hornady Critical Duty. JL

Just finished watching his ballistic test for the round. Results look pretty impressive to me. Also, didn't see any issue in recoil test.