PDA

View Full Version : Old PM's and new PM's

LLDJR
02-10-2010, 06:51 AM
I am curious, have there been any types of improvements to the PM's since the Circa 2006?

I bought a PM40 from 2006 and then I saw on the Kahr site that there is an upgrade to "newer style" option for @ $190

LLDJR
02-14-2010, 07:26 PM
No knowledge here.........

Move along..........

frank_drebin
02-14-2010, 07:44 PM
I had the same question when I bought mine. I know that they changed the recoil assembly and now the head on the rod is larger. They also made some changes to the frame to accomodate the new recoil spring assembly. The original PM40 had the same Recoil assembly as the PM9. Aside from that, I don't know what the changes were.

jeepster09
02-14-2010, 08:02 PM
Looking at web site, they added a safety and loaded chamber indicater.

Kahr Arms / 9mm Models / PM9 Series (http://www.kahr.com/PA-1_9mm_pm.html)

frank_drebin
02-14-2010, 08:18 PM
Looking at web site, they added a safety and loaded chamber indicater.

Kahr Arms / 9mm Models / PM9 Series (http://www.kahr.com/PA-1_9mm_pm.html)

Nah, that's a new option for 2010. They added a safety and LCI options for Mass. Laws. There was a change in '06 or '07 on the PM40 to address some feeding issues.

jocko
02-15-2010, 03:20 AM
what drebin states is the only change in the PM40 that you have. If you ahve the recoil assembly that has a 3/8" size head on it, order the new ones. the now have a 1/2" head on them. If it is working OK, then don't worry about it. but if you ever order a new recoil assembly it will come with the 1/2" head on it. Other than that, just shoot it like u stole it. Great gun and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. that upgrade that kahrs states is merely replacing allsprings and cleaning. A waste of good money IMO.

frank_drebin
02-17-2010, 11:30 AM
I ordered the new assembly and was shocked at the length of the spring. It is twice as long as the one on my PM40. The 1/2 head fit perfectly in the frame but when I reassembled the gun the guide rod stuck out 2mm or so from the front of the slide. I put the old one back on....

jwr
02-17-2010, 12:42 PM
when I reassembled the gun the guide rod stuck out 2mm or so from the front of the slide. I put the old one back on....
I have no idea if Kahr did that on purpose but I know Springfield does the same thing with the guide rod on their XD's. They said it was to prevent the slide from going out of battery on a contact shot.

I kind of doubt if 2mm will keep the slide in place if pressed against the body of a bad guy, but that's what they say.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn69/jerrywrussell/xd-gr-100.jpg

LLDJR
02-24-2010, 07:11 AM
what drebin states is the only change in the PM40 that you have. If you ahve the recoil assembly that has a 3/8" size head on it, order the new ones. the now have a 1/2" head on them. If it is working OK, then don't worry about it. but if you ever order a new recoil assembly it will come with the 1/2" head on it. Other than that, just shoot it like u stole it. Great gun and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. that upgrade that kahrs states is merely replacing allsprings and cleaning. A waste of good money IMO.

Thanks guys, I did order a new recoil spring just a week or two ago and have installed it, I did not look at the difference in the heads, I will have to check this out.