PDA

View Full Version : RIP captain Phil

getsome
02-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Sad to see that Captain Phil Harris skipper of the Cornelia Marie crab fishing boat on the Discovery Channel's TV show Deadliest Catch passed away today after suffering a massive stroke on jan 29...I really like that show and sometimes feel guilty for liking king crab so much after seeing how hard those guys have to work to catch them...I complain about my job sometimes but it's a walk in the park next to theirs...Capt Phil was my favorite guy on the show, he was rough and tough but still had a soft heart...He will be missed... Does anyone else watch and enjoy Deadliest Catch?...:frown:

Dietrich
02-10-2010, 12:11 PM
Yeah,I watch it sometimes.Hate to lose Cap`m Phil.A lot of my wife`s family are in the commercial fishing industry and several have been killed and maimed trying to make a living.The latest was a cousin who was out shrimping alone one night.The other fishermen noticed his boat going around in circles so they went to investigate and found him.He was hauling in his nets and evidently got caught and was pulled headfirst into the winch pullys.Busted his head like a melon.Working on the water isn`t as romantic as some folks have tried to make it out to be.I`ve been out with them going after mullets,shrimp,oysters,fishing nets ,whatever. It`s hard, dirty work for what is very little money sometimes.Between government regulations and falling prices,the commercial fishermen in North Carolina are a dying breed.No pun intended.Each year,more and more are giving up trying to work the water and the public is left with sub-standard farm raised seafood.In my opinion,that sucks out loud.:31:

getsome
02-10-2010, 12:20 PM
Just last night on the local news there was a story about most of the shrimp being sold in supermarkets is labeled on the box or bag as being Grade A USA caught and produced but in reality its grade B shrimp from China being repackaged and sold as something its not...:confused:

Steve-$
02-10-2010, 12:55 PM
It's a very good show and reflects just how hard life on the sea can be.

He was a good man and will be missed.