PDA

View Full Version : MK9 elite vs MK9

Jonah0207
02-10-2010, 03:18 PM
I have been considering a Kahr 9mm and was wondering . . .
1. Is the elite simply a cosmetic enhancement or is it functionally better?
2. I know that the elite model has a polished feed ramp . . . does that help with the function or what??? If it helps the feeding process it seems like they would want to do it on all their pistols????
If someone knows I'd appreciate your help.
Thanks,
Jonah 0207

jocko
02-10-2010, 05:06 PM
merely cosmetic but certainly nice. All kahrs feed ramps are polished also. Nothing different inside either gun.

quikduk
02-10-2010, 06:17 PM
I am new to the Kahr but I thought the MK Elite series had the following:

- Polished feed ramp
- Polished trigger (smoother too)
- Beveled mag well
- Polished frame & slide with laser engraved markings

I thought the Elite was the only one with these options...

In-Yo-Grill
02-11-2010, 06:40 AM
For some reason I thought the "Elite" had a different trigger as well. I hate it when I give into rumors...lol

jocko
02-11-2010, 09:05 AM
the mag well thing is right , the polished trigger is basically the external part of the trigger, not internal for smoothness. engraving is different also, again internals are all the same, cosmetic at best. a nice gun. Hard to even tell on the beveled mag wells IMO.

Externally the gun looks better, internally the gun is the same. all kahrs today have polished feed ramps.. Certainly not taking away any thing on the elite, It is one beautiful gun.. You don't see them in dealer show caes hardly ever either, due to price..

In-Yo-Grill
02-11-2010, 11:09 AM
So if I had a chance to get a brand new MK9 Elite for $600 is that a really good deal?

Even Arizona Gun Runners lists theirs for $717.00

PETE14
02-11-2010, 11:14 AM
Bought mine 3 months ago for $690 and I thought I was pretty lucky after looking for one for a month. Had to have it shipped to MO from PA.

quikduk
02-11-2010, 05:57 PM
My MK9 Elite was $714 a month ago and I felt lucky to find it at that price. YMMV but they don't hit dealers that often. I think the Kahr website prices are a bit over inflated based on the prices I have seen online...typically around the $760-$780 for the Elites.

In-Yo-Grill
02-12-2010, 05:40 AM
My MK9 Elite was $714 a month ago and I felt lucky to find it at that price. YMMV but they don't hit dealers that often. I think the Kahr website prices are a bit over inflated based on the prices I have seen online...typically around the $760-$780 for the Elites.

You guys must be Kahr reps in disguise. If you are telling me the truth then I need to pull my head out and pick up on the MK9 Elite at this next gun show...Provided he still has it.

Cobra21
02-12-2010, 08:59 PM
I'm gonna' bet it's gone. Hope you'll update us when you find out...

Bot
02-12-2010, 09:07 PM
I bought an MK9 off of gunbroker.com a couple years ago and it's been a flawless shooter the whole time. I paid 400 for it.

quikduk
02-12-2010, 09:39 PM
You guys must be Kahr reps in disguise. If you are telling me the truth then I need to pull my head out and pick up on the MK9 Elite at this next gun show...Provided he still has it.

LOL...too funny...although my response does kinda seem like a Kahr pitch...:cool:

Here is/was my deal. I have an XD9sc for primary CC but also had a Steyr GB that I bought new in '95. In the "great" state of CA, I can own and shoot the GB but not carry it. :confused: I even had a sweet custom made Kydex IWB for it and the whole thing disappeared when worn.

Since I couldn't carry it, I decided to sell it and buy the MK9 as I prefer practical to safe queen...plus the one financed the other.

Anyway, I am happy with the choice...and they are fairly rare since Kahr must either be busy or is limiting production of the MKs.

coctailer
02-13-2010, 07:50 AM
So if I had a chance to get a brand new MK9 Elite for $600 is that a really good deal?

Even Arizona Gun Runners lists theirs for $717.00

If you can get a new one for $600, the dealer is selling it at a $89 loss.

He may be bankrupt by the time you see him again.

Rabbit
02-22-2010, 04:59 PM
For some reason I thought the "Elite" had a different trigger as well. I hate it when I give into rumors...lol

You are correct ! - trigger on the elite is MUCH better.

I bought an MK9 after my wife "took" my PM9 as her carry gun. I quickly found the MK9 trigger mot nearly as nice as the PM9. A little on-line looking revealed the older MK's had a different trigger than the Elite. I don't recall when they made the change but I think all PM's and new MK's have the new trigger system.

Kahr will sell you a tigger kit (3 pieces) for less than $20.00 or you can send it to them for about $140. After installing one myself - I recommend sending it to them. My 9 year old got real upset at hearing me cuss so much !

jocko
02-22-2010, 05:17 PM

U buy a K9 elite it has a different trigger than the standard K9, other than that all kahrs have the elite trigger in them.

Difference of the two triggers.

In the K9 the trigger has the NYPD trigger travel of 1/2"

In ALL elite triggers the trigger travel is 3/8"

the K9 is the only gun that has the 1/2" trigger set up and that was done by kahr to get NYPD approved...

I have the 1/2" trigger in my K9 and to be honest I can't tell the difference between my PM9 whish has the 3/8" trigger in it. 1/8" is kinda hard for me to tell..

dzldust
06-10-2011, 08:48 PM
I have an older "GAxxxx" Mk9,is it worth it to update the trigger internals to the "elite"?is it simply a shorter trigger pull or difference in weight of trigger pull as well?

TominCA
07-22-2011, 10:18 PM
I love my MK9 and it is very accurate. I wanted to get the Elite - but could not find one in stock. Got a standard one with night sights instead - Great Gun! I also have a PM9 which is probably the world's best pocket pistol but I shoot the MK9 better.

Barth
07-22-2011, 10:48 PM
I love my MK9 and it is very accurate. I wanted to get the Elite - but could not find one in stock. Got a standard one with night sights instead - Great Gun! I also have a PM9 which is probably the world's best pocket pistol but I shoot the MK9 better.

Not to plug a place - well actually I will.
Had trouble finding a MK40 Elite w/NS locally and ended up
buying online from http://www.lowpriceguns.com/.
$820.00 with no sales tax and 10/15 bucks for two day shipping coast to coast.
Had to pay $45/50 for FFL fees to recieve it, but $875 wasn't bad to have
an Elite in two days flat! Gun was in perfect condition in the box.
I recommened them. Especially for the hard to find stuff.

Just a tip for those got to have an Elite people out there.
BTW I think it's worth every penny to get the Elite model.
It's like the MK40 was sent to their custom shop for hand polishing, beveling, melting.... It's a real work of art now that I'll cherish the rest of my life!

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/PlayboyPenguin/Keepers/KahrMK40-1.jpg

jocko
07-23-2011, 05:04 AM
keep that right side grip screws tight. If they get loose the gun will produce light strikes.

Other than that, indeed onefine looking handgun.

TominCA
07-23-2011, 10:00 AM
Looks like a good place to know about - I got mine from Impact Guns - They have always been good and I'm a little leary of online vendors without a recommendation - Thanks.

Barth
07-23-2011, 01:58 PM
Looks like a good place to know about - I got mine from Impact Guns - They have always been good and I'm a little leary of online vendors without a recommendation - Thanks.

No Problemo!
Great customer service, excellent selection, super fast.

I'm watching The Perfect Weapon on The Spanish Channel so bare with me - LOL!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_mE_EqjyKcYU/TTfiVQDzJ7I/AAAAAAAAAII/HDTArBASRjA/s400/pw.jpg