PDA

View Full Version : PM45 slide drops upon magazine insertion

kgturner
03-27-2012, 09:28 AM
I have a used PM45 which I bought recently. The original owner stated that he put 250 rounds through it and I've probably added another 210 since receiving it.

I put 60 through it one trip to the range and another 100 through it two weekends ago. The first 160 the gun operated 100% flawlessly.

I put another 50 round through it this weekend while I was at my father-in-laws. When I inserted a full magaine (Federal FMJ 230gr) the slide dropped. I was kinda surprised to see this, but the gun fired/functioned without any other problems. Perhaps I inserted the magazine too forcefully, but I really don't think I was "slamming it home" anymore than I usually do.

I tried to replicate the issue with a magazine full of snap caps, but it never worked no matter how forcefully the magazine was inserted. I was able to replicate it was a magazine full of Winchester Ranger-T ammo that I use for my SD round.

Anywho, I searched the net and this appears to be a common experience for several other hangun owners and some guns actually have this as a feature. I'm not worried about it per se, more just wondering if anybody elses PM45 does this or if it may be indicative of a pending problem.

Kevin T

Bawanna
03-27-2012, 10:08 AM
At best you might have to adjust that little slide stop spring. If you look in the tech section under CW45 and other Polymer gun fixes or something like that there is an excellent photo tutorial by GB on it.

Many will do that if you slam the mag home but most likely that spring is just a tad loose or maybe slightly out of position.

Remember that little torx screw is screwed into polymer so use caution and don't over tighten.
Until it did it again I'd probably not mess with it as it shouldn't effect function.

Do let us know if you find you need any more help. There folk here much smarter than I than can help you through it.

JustinN
03-27-2012, 10:12 AM
Back in my academy, about half of our Glock 17s would do this, and half wouldn't it just depended on the gun. I've never had a Kahr do it, but I also wouldn't view it as a cause for concern. If anything it makes for faster reloading.

jocko
03-27-2012, 10:21 AM
not sure it is a designed feature by any gun maker, but it happens on many makes. some loke it that way. I can slam my PM9 magazine kand make the slide close, also with my G19 to. No slam, all works well to..

kgturner
03-27-2012, 05:17 PM
Got home and "played" with the PM45. The slide drop is definitely related to the amount of force I use inserting the magazine. I tested all four magazines and was able to reproduce the drop on every one of them. I still find it odd that I can't get the slide to drop on a mag full of snap caps, but I can pretty much get it to drop every time I slap a full mag of bullets in the PM45.

I tightened down the slide stop spring like Bawanna mentioned, but that didn't have any effect and I don't wanna tighten it down too much for risk of damage. I'll just consider the dropping slide a speed loading "feature" until a real problem crops it.

Kevin T

Bawanna
03-27-2012, 05:56 PM
It's not only the tightness of that mentioned spring but the position as well. That thread in the tech section addresses that quite well.

Your on the right track. And your right in that it's not really a major issue and shouldn't become one. May call for a fine tune but no more.

Does an empty mag drop out?

jocko
03-27-2012, 06:23 PM
Got home and "played" with the PM45. The slide drop is definitely related to the amount of force I use inserting the magazine. I tested all four magazines and was able to reproduce the drop on every one of them. I still find it odd that I can't get the slide to drop on a mag full of snap caps, but I can pretty much get it to drop every time I slap a full mag of bullets in the PM45.

I tightened down the slide stop spring like Bawanna mentioned, but that didn't have any effect and I don't wanna tighten it down too much for risk of damage. I'll just consider the dropping slide a speed loading "feature" until a real problem crops it.

Kevin T

ur right to. some love that feature. I never slam my magazines, and if normal insertion does not drop the slide then you have the best of both worlds.. odd about the snap caps though. Have u checked to see that no live bullets are hitting on the inside of the slide stop lever. very easy to check..

kgturner
03-27-2012, 07:43 PM
Does an empty mag drop out?

Only when I press the magazine release button.

Have u checked to see that no live bullets are hitting on the inside of the slide stop lever. very easy to check.

It doesn't look like they're hitting, but they are real close. From the angle I looked, it would appear that even if the bullets were hitting the slide stop lever, they'd be pushing upward on it instead of downward.

Kevin T