PDA

View Full Version : can these things swim?

BOBBO268
03-28-2012, 12:49 PM
So i was out for the second time with my cm9, now total 270 rounds with no hiccups. I was shooting with a friend and I mentioned i wanted to put 100 rounds more through it to keep checking its reliability. He then said, "next time we come out, bring a bucket of water, let it sit in it for a few minutes and then see if it shoots."

2 things, 1) would it still shoot?, 2)would this mess anything up as long i clean it as normal afterwards and blow out the striker channel with brake clean and compressed air?

Bawanna
03-28-2012, 12:54 PM
It would shoot no problem. I would not do it since it really wouldn't prove anything. If your joining the SEALS and plan to use the gun I might try it for the confidence factor but otherwise I'd just shoot it and enjoy the dryness.

I have an MK9 in the dept here, a detectives gun that spent 45 days on the bottom of Puget Sound. It had to have new springs and small parts and I had to replace the barrel but it's a top notch shooter. The salt killed it. Not the water.

jocko
03-28-2012, 01:02 PM
ur proving nothing, so WHY??/screw ur buddy. course u could make him a deal. u will throw the gun in a bucket of water for 5 minutes if he will stick his head in a bucket of water for 5 minutes, Then lets wee which one works!!! Just sayin

Tinman507
03-28-2012, 01:03 PM
http://www.antiquark.com/img/gun-P11.jpg

Tilos
03-28-2012, 01:07 PM
Bring some water and let him show you how...with HIS gun:der::7::boink:

JFootin
03-28-2012, 01:41 PM
The whole idea sounds dumb. I'll bet he's a Glocker and a mall ninja. Bring the bucket of water, insist that he do it with his gun first, then tell him you're not going to do something that stupid and pointless with your gun! :D

Tinman507
03-28-2012, 01:44 PM
At the very least up the ante and tell him to bring a bucket of good beer and try it :cool:

TucsonMTB
03-28-2012, 01:49 PM
Not with my pistol! That's for sure. I seem to recall reading somewhere that, when firing, the super heated steam from droplets of water in the barrel has the potential to damage the surface of the bore.

Not something you would worry about in a real life emergency, but I think I read it on the Internet . . . so it must be true. :rolleyes:

Ken_K
03-28-2012, 01:55 PM
Sounds like someone has watched too many youtube videos lol.

TucsonMTB
03-28-2012, 02:05 PM
Sounds like someone has watched too many youtube videos lol.
+1 http://home.mindspring.com/%7Ejustsomeguy/icon_lol.gif

O'Dell
03-28-2012, 02:08 PM
Agreed, it would prove nothing. I've been shooting for over forty-five years, and other than a few drops of rainwater, I've never had a gun get wet.

BOBBO268
03-28-2012, 02:25 PM
nuff said, i'll keep it dry :) and we're both glockers, but i'v never put my glock underwater either, and don't plan to either. thanks

Bawanna
03-28-2012, 02:28 PM
nuff said, i'll keep it dry :) and we're both glockers, but i'v never put my glock underwater either, and don't plan to either. thanks

You may be a Glocker but you've seen the light. Glock actually has striker retainers with holes in them specially for underwater use. Probably a good selling point on the internet mall ninja channel.

I won't spout a single bad word about Glock, they work and many live for them. I have one myself. But shooting underwater don't seem like all that great an asset to me and any gun will shoot underwater if need be.

Keep it dry and hang with us pal, we'll continue to reform you.

CJB
03-28-2012, 05:01 PM
Not suggesting it be done, or not done.

It proves nothing - except maybe if you got caught in a downpour on your Harley, or you accidentally went ker-plunk swimmin', the pistol might still fire.

Then again - it hurts nothing either, so if you wanna try it for braggin' rights, go ahead.

The following warnings apply:
NEVER shoot a gun underwater, UNLESS you are 100 percent positive all air has been removed from the barrel and chamber.
With the immersion test, make sure water has drained thoroughly from the barrel and chamber - that is, do it with an unchambered round, shake it dry a few times, rack in a round and you'll be good to go.
DO wear eye protection that will also protect you from the spray of water that will fly off your pistol in all directions, but especially rearward.
DO expect to pull the gun 100 percent apart, dry, clean, and re-lubricate all surfaces.
DO know, that the Kahr Prep/Lube guides are not valid - you'll need a top end pull down, and at least take the sideplate and slide stop spring retainer off the bottom. Having the trigger, trigger bar, cam, etc...all out, would be better.

yqtszhj
03-28-2012, 08:11 PM
get 2 mags and 100 rounds, have your buddy load mags while you shoot fast as you can. That will prove more. I've done it with my CM9 and 50 rounds and the Kahr just keeps on shooting.

pitbull1022
03-28-2012, 09:50 PM
I am sure the Kahr is every bit as tuff as a Glock. I have 1 Glock and 2 Kahrs. But I am with most of you all. WHY TAKE A CHANCE. I am not doing that with any of my guns.

getsome
03-29-2012, 11:09 AM
Sounds likw you need another shootin partner friend...Tell your buddy that you saw on this forum a u-tube video of a guy who works for Sig put a new Nano on the pavement and run over it with his SUV 6 times and the thing still shot...See if he will try it with his Glock...:19:

Krusty
03-29-2012, 07:09 PM
I use Spearguns underwater because that's what they are made to do, if you want to shoot underwater I'll suggest buying a sub with some nice torpedos, or join the Navy!

TucsonMTB
03-29-2012, 08:45 PM
I use Spearguns underwater because that's what they are made to do, if you want to shoot underwater I'll suggest buying a sub with some nice torpedos, or join the Navy!
That brought a chuckle! http://home.mindspring.com/%7Ejustsomeguy/icon_lol.gif