PDA

View Full Version : Sig P250, anybody have any experience or thoughts?

chrish
03-28-2012, 11:41 PM
I've always been partial to and preferred a DAO trigger. It's one of the reasons I've transitioned pretty much to Kahr. But I've been itching for a higher capacity pistol and until Kahr produces a double-stack (not holding my breath) I'll have to do something different.

I've been on the search for a while now and I had pretty much settled on a PPQ, even though it's nowhere near what I would typically purchase.

But, in helping a friend research his first pistol purchase, I stumbled across the Sig P250. I had seen the 2Sum in shops before, but never gave it a second look and didn't even realize it was a DAO. So now I'm all over it, reading reviews and considering it (full size, 4.7" 9mm) over the PPQ. Longer sight radius, slightly cheaper, future flexibility if I want to go 357 sig, 40, or 45.

Seems most of the issues w/ it from years back are gone now w/ the Gen 2 P250.

Just wanted to see who has one, what you think of it, etc. Or even if you don't have it, thoughts on the P250.

scotty_MK9
03-29-2012, 01:58 AM
Sorry i dont have any direct experience with the p250. But i thought i would mention my brother in law just got one and seems to be really happy with it...

Its the .45 version. I think hes put a couple hundred rounds through it so far without any problems. He brought it over once when he just got it and all i did was held it but it felt like a nice solid gun. Little big for my taste but if capacity is what ur lookin for im sure it will do fine.

Good like with your purchase.

O'Dell
03-29-2012, 02:22 AM
I seriously considered one when they came out about five years ago. However, unlike you, I prefer the DA/SA SIG trigger, so I bought a German built 2022. It performed very well, but I later sold it because it was a bit larger than I liked and I was moving up to the 45's. The P250 had some teething problems, but from reading the SIG forums, I think the new ones are good. I looked at them again a couple of years ago. Again the long, but smooth, trigger held me back. If you like the trigger, I see no reason why you wouldn't like the gun.

Native
03-29-2012, 06:46 AM
I have one, or one and a half. I bought a compact 9 then the sub compact .357 sig x change kit. My thought was of a Kahr on steroids. It's a well built gun and has been flawless through a magazine in nine and a couple hundred rounds in .357. The ergonomics are just right for my hand. The knock on them right now is that most guys shoot low with them due to the Sig design requiring a "combat hold". And, a looong trigger with a long reset. The pull is very smooth and probably in the 7 lb range, but I do think it is long. My own splits are poor with it, as is my followup accuracy rapid fire or double tap, but as I said I've only put a couple hundred downrange. The inherent accuracy is quite good. Is it a Kahr on steroids? Not really. Going back and forth between it and my PM 9's the Kahrs trigger wins going away because it is much shorter and I think slightly lighter, though that could be perception. Holsters and aftermarket accessories are not exactly plentiful. All that said, I think enough of it to carry it a lot in a Remora in some sketchy places with my PM9 hidden somewhere too when I'm not wearing a duty belt and G32. Hope this helps.

chrish
03-29-2012, 11:24 AM
That helps alot guys, thanks! Really leaning this direction now. Not sure when my purchase will occur, looking like most everything is tough to get right now and it may be summer before I can justify the next purchase. Plenty of 2Sums around right now, but not many full size P250 only out there. Couple of 2 tones on gunbroker, but the black nitride are few and far between right now. I'm sure Sig is just as backed up as everybody else. Will keep watching and/or check w/ my local GS on just putting me on the list for one. I really think I'll like it better than the PPQ.

kenk
03-29-2012, 12:11 PM
I have a P250 Compact in 9mm. It is a nice piece. Very easy to shoot. The trigger is long but relatively smooth. I have the 15 round magazines. Right now it is relegated to the bedroom nightstand since it has really nice night sights.

I must say that the K9 that I purchased from an NYPD officer has a much better trigger, and fits my smaller hand better. That said, I wish the Kahr had that 15 round capacity instead of 8 :-)

BTW, the 3 sizes (SC, Compact, Full) and the 3 grip options fits almost any shooter's hand.

Ken

Alfonse
03-29-2012, 03:15 PM
The Beretta PX4 Type C has a "constant" trigger. I have been looking for an opportunity to shoot one, but haven't yet.

Here's a review http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/the-beretta-px4-storm-type-c-gunfight-safety-at-its-best/

Might be worth a look.

My still favorite pistol to shoot is an older Para Ordnance 45 with their LDA trigger. The Beretta trigger sounds like it might be similar, and it is double stack and available in 9mm or .40.

RedRyder
03-29-2012, 03:35 PM
I've just recently added a P250 2SUM and a Kahr P9 to my collections. Have not shot the full size P250 yet but the subcompact shoots VERY well. Not had a problem with it at all. Got the 2SUM on gunbroker with nite sites for only $441 so thought I made a helluva deal. I took the SC and the Kahr to range recently and put about 150 rds each thru them. Kahr had the better trigger (butter smooth) but P250 was certainly as good as any wheel gun I've ever shot. Planning on adding the 9mm compact xchange kit in near future too.

Good luck and hope you enjoy as much as I am.

CJB
03-29-2012, 06:25 PM
I shot the 45 mid size (compact)

I wanted the micro - its still not out.

The conversions are VERY expensive - almost a new gun.

The trigger is dao, but you have double strike... some find that reassuring.

They've been ok performers, some have reported frame (skel) damage on the 45's.

chrish
03-29-2012, 06:55 PM
So I happened (accidentally) across a funky variation not on the Sig site this morning. Gander mountain has a compact long slide version (4.7" barrel w/ 15 round mags), with night sights. Wierd. Priced at $450 its actually a decent deal coming from Gander where they are typically way over priced. That's pretty much inline w/ a compact or full size online anywhere. So, had to go by and check it out. Gotta say, pretty nice pistol. But I really didn't care for the look. It's basically a compact frame with a full slide, so the rail doesn't extend completely under the barrel.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Sig_Sauer_P250_Compact_Long_Slid e_Handgun&i=GM447568

Overall, pretty impressed w/ it. Definitely my next purchase now, but in the full size, w/ 2 17rd mags.

Mike_B
03-29-2012, 10:27 PM
Love my Sig SP2022!

HDoc
03-30-2012, 07:23 AM
That helps alot guys, thanks! Really leaning this direction now. Not sure when my purchase will occur, looking like most everything is tough to get right now and it may be summer before I can justify the next purchase. Plenty of 2Sums around right now, but not many full size P250 only out there. Couple of 2 tones on gunbroker, but the black nitride are few and far between right now. I'm sure Sig is just as backed up as everybody else. Will keep watching and/or check w/ my local GS on just putting me on the list for one. I really think I'll like it better than the PPQ.

Ordered a P220 (two tone with SRT factory installed) from their mil/LEO
program and was told they are running 12 to 16 weeks behind on ordered weapons. Luckily I was nice to the order clerk and they added my purchase to an earlier but unfilled large factory order. Nice when LGS aren't
PIA's.