PDA

View Full Version : Wood Grips for 1998 vintage MK9

boltonguy
03-29-2012, 09:51 AM
Hi Everyone,

I've had my MK9 for 6 years and only recently came across this forum. What a great place. I love my MK9 - it has been perfectly reliable since day 1 (I am the third owner) with all 9mm ammo and I carry it comfortably in an MTAC IWB tuckable.

I have a question about wood grips. I have an KM9 Limited Duo Tone ser LTD1XX which was manufactured in March 1998. Kahr has confirmed via email that the currently available wood grips will not fit my frame and that, "I would not be able to guarentee that the current wood grips we carry would fit your pistol. They would likely require some modification." And in a subsequent email, "Generally, the grips may require a bit of dremel work on the underside of them. This would not be a service that our gunsmiths would offer."

Would anyone on the forum have any insight into what, if any, options are out there if those of us with older MK9s would like wooden grips?

Thanks!
Boltonguy

Bawanna
03-29-2012, 10:29 AM
If your not impatient and are willing to wait a bit I might be able to make you some. I have access to a early MK9, I assume you meant MK, not KM.
That serial number is really tripping me up though. The one I have is a GA, I thought they told me there were only GA and GC's and no other changes.

That might have been the K series though. Haven't figured it out yet.

I think it's just a matter of removing a little wood on the inside for frame clearance especially near the lower mounting screw.

The other option would be to order new grips from Kahr and send them to me and I'll make them fit my MK but there is no sure thing those would fit either.

Does yours have the soft rubber grips on it or the harder rubber.

I wish I could figure these things out, I really do.

boltonguy
03-29-2012, 04:22 PM
Yes sorry for the typo - I did mean MK9 :).

My serial number is definitely LTD_1XX, manufactured in March 1998. It must have the hard rubber grips - I don't have the soft to compare to but there is noone who would consider these soft. Not uncomfortable, but definitely hard not soft.

Here is the original catalog blurb:

Kahr Arms has started shipping the Limited Edition Kahr MK9 with a Duo Tone finish. This MK9 features a matte stainless steel frame and on ordnance steel (4130 chrome moly) slide plated with the exceptional Black-TŪ finish by Walter Birdsong. This limited Edition run will consist of 400 units with the serial numbers LTD 001 through LTD 400. Black-TŪ is a proprietary black coating developed to add lubricity as well as greatly increasion corrosion properties of the base metal. It exceeds the ATSM (American Standard Materials) 177 specifications for salt water corrosion resistance by more than 4000%. It is the only permissable coating used on many components on nuclear submarines and is the coating of choice by the elite FBI hostage rescue team.

I appreciate your offer to help and make grips. Your comment suggests that a little fitting might do the trick. I may be inspired to order a set of grips and see if tht is the case and send 'em back if the fitting looks too complex. My primary concern is whether the screw holes will line up with the frame or not - that would be hard to fix with a rasp :)

Thanks for your input - if I give it a try I will post info and pics.

Regards,
Boltonguy

orville
03-30-2012, 10:16 AM
Yes sorry for the typo - I did mean MK9 :).

My serial number is definitely LTD_1XX, manufactured in March 1998. It must have the hard rubber grips - I don't have the soft to compare to but there is noone who would consider these soft. Not uncomfortable, but definitely hard not soft.

Here is the original catalog blurb:

Kahr Arms has started shipping the Limited Edition Kahr MK9 with a Duo Tone finish. This MK9 features a matte stainless steel frame and on ordnance steel (4130 chrome moly) slide plated with the exceptional Black-TŪ finish by Walter Birdsong. This limited Edition run will consist of 400 units with the serial numbers LTD 001 through LTD 400. Black-TŪ is a proprietary black coating developed to add lubricity as well as greatly increasion corrosion properties of the base metal. It exceeds the ATSM (American Standard Materials) 177 specifications for salt water corrosion resistance by more than 4000%. It is the only permissable coating used on many components on nuclear submarines and is the coating of choice by the elite FBI hostage rescue team.

I appreciate your offer to help and make grips. Your comment suggests that a little fitting might do the trick. I may be inspired to order a set of grips and see if tht is the case and send 'em back if the fitting looks too complex. My primary concern is whether the screw holes will line up with the frame or not - that would be hard to fix with a rasp :)

Thanks for your input - if I give it a try I will post info and pics.

Regards,
Boltonguy
Hi could you send or post some pictures of older MK9 wood grips that you have made. I would be very interested in geting a pair for my MK9 ( GAxxxx ) built in 1998

orville
03-30-2012, 10:24 AM
Hi could you send or post some pictures of older MK9 wood grips that you have made. I would be very interested in geting a pair for my MK9 ( GAxxxx ) built in 1998

dusty78
08-30-2012, 04:08 PM
I had a Kahr MK9 with a GA serial number and the factory wod grips worked just fine, I had to use 2 differen't length grip screws. I think I used factory grips screws on the upper holes and 1911 screws on the bottom but i can't be sure as it was a few years ago and I no longer have that gun. I think I have pictures somewhere.