PDA

View Full Version : Good Deal?

Friar Whently
03-31-2012, 08:30 PM
So I was at a gun show today and saw a police trade-in Kahr K9 for $485 OTD. I don't remember if night sights were on it and I'm assuming it came with the single mag that was in it. It was a little dirty but didn't look any worse for wear. I didn't try to haggle with the guy because I didn't strongly consider it at the time, but I can't stop thinking about it now. I could potentially go back tomorrow. What do you think about the $485 price tag for a used K9?

chipD
03-31-2012, 08:45 PM
Hi Frier, I just paid 429 for my police trade in with night sights out the door. My LGS threw in 50 rounds of ammo and a one day range pass to test it out as well. I think I would haggle, that being said I shot mine and love it no problems with it at all. I have a quick pic posted on one of threads below this one. If you go for it check it out as much as possible before you pay the dealer at the gun show.

Tinman507
03-31-2012, 11:23 PM
Try to beat him up a little bit and get as close to $400 as you can. They're fantastic guns. Generally not shot much. For sure not maintained or cleaned.
With or without night sights they're great.

At $400, you still have some left for new springs and stuff for peace of mind.
Grab it! You will not be disappointed.

Adamt
04-01-2012, 11:26 AM
Check for pitting under the grips of you can, or if there is more than one to choose from.

Mike_B
04-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Check for pitting under the grips of you can, or if there is more than one to choose from.

Hope it's not a stupid question, but what's up if there's pitting? Rust?

flashman
04-02-2012, 10:46 PM
That not such a good deal. No box or spare mag. Check out gunbroker. Keep in mind that the NYPD gun has an 11lb trigger pull and longer travel. Some are usually beat up. I spoke to Kahr last week and they told me that if I was to replace my K9 (stolen in 09). Then dont get the NYPD gun. So I purchased a new K9 Elite. (715.00 ouch) But I am keeping it until the day I die. Good Luck.

Joe Flashman

TucsonMTB
04-02-2012, 11:45 PM
Hope it's not a stupid question, but what's up if there's pitting? Rust?
Pitting of a stainless frame would indicate poor maintenance. It's sort of like looking at used cars and avoiding the ones that look like they have been abused and show it by having dull paint, frosted head light covers, faded interior parts . . . etc.

It is primarily an indicator. It is not necessarily a deal breaker, if the gun is otherwise sound. But, unless you are knowledgeable, heed any warning signs.

Admittedly, that all depends on your expectations. If you are just looking for a truck gun to abuse . . . no worries! http://home.mindspring.com/%7Ejustsomeguy/icon_lol.gif

kahrking
04-03-2012, 10:48 PM
www.aimsurplus.com (http://www.aimsurplus.com) had SS K9 police trade-ins for $419 last week.

Tinman507
04-04-2012, 04:29 AM
www.aimsurplus.com (http://www.aimsurplus.com) had SS K9 police trade-ins for $419 last week.

+1 on this ^
Good folks to deal with.

Mike_B
04-04-2012, 03:37 PM
Pitting of a stainless frame would indicate poor maintenance. It's sort of like looking at used cars and avoiding the ones that look like they have been abused and show it by having dull paint, frosted head light covers, faded interior parts . . . etc.

It is primarily an indicator. It is not necessarily a deal breaker, if the gun is otherwise sound. But, unless you are knowledgeable, heed any warning signs.

Admittedly, that all depends on your expectations. If you are just looking for a truck gun to abuse . . . no worries! http://home.mindspring.com/%7Ejustsomeguy/icon_lol.gif

Good to know. Thank you...

Friar Whently
04-04-2012, 08:01 PM
So I ended up passing on this one. I did go back to the gun show the next day to look again (and get some great SD ammo on the cheap) and realized it was a little more roughed up than I had thought, if only cosmetically. Also, I'm in Ohio so I'm not sure which police force it came from...I suppose it could've come from NY but who knows.

flashman
04-05-2012, 11:06 PM
Hi All. If you can pick up a used K9 for under 475.00. Then I think you will be ok. Even if its the NYPD model. The K9's are nice guns. I am happy that NYPD decided not to use K9's as back up guns. This gives more CCW holders a chance to own a high quality pistol at a good price. Enjoy those Kahr K9's.

Joe Flashman

jocko
04-06-2012, 05:40 AM
So I ended up passing on this one. I did go back to the gun show the next day to look again (and get some great SD ammo on the cheap) and realized it was a little more roughed up than I had thought, if only cosmetically. Also, I'm in Ohio so I'm not sure which police force it came from...I suppose it could've come from NY but who knows.

the right thing, if it doesn't look right to you, then pass on it. There willbe others coming forward, just take ur time. Nothing wrong with buying a NYPD K9, most are shot very seldo0m anyhow and prior to nypd taking them out of their authorized carry list, all kahrs were teated to a kahr armoorer that took care of anything on the K9's. No doube were gonna see sme really abused guns, more likely abused from lack of maintenance and therefore cosmetically looking like sh!t. So far those nypd K's bought by members on this forums seem very happy witht he gun and the price. I am sure mine is a prior police K 9 that I boughtused, I really did not care either. It looked great, never has failed, I paid alot more than anyone today is paying for them but I have had it about 3 years to.

Tinman507
04-06-2012, 05:53 AM
Keep an eye on this site:

Aim Surplus (http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1KAHRK9&name=KAHR+Arms+K9+SS+9mm+Pistol&groupid=3) They've had them and while currently out of stock, will get more in. If you sign up to be notified when they're in stock again you'll know.
Good folks to deal with. Kept me informed every step of the way.

Caveat: They don't do anything to the guns. They get em in, do a cursory check and ship them. Externally mine was in good to good plus. Internally it was gunk city but cleaned up really nice. Figure on replacing the springs but that's only an $8.00 investment with Wolff's.

Tinman507
04-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Just got an email from AimSurplus (http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1KAHRK9&name=KAHR+Arms+K9+SS+9mm+Pistol&groupid=3) They have NYPD K9's back in stock at $419.00

CrazyLarry
04-15-2012, 05:49 PM
New member here, I just put money down on one of the NYPD K9 trade ins from AIM.

I've been looking for a single stack 9mm stainless gun for so long... I rented a PM9 at the range not long ago but wanted the K9 due to the (slightly) heavier frame.

5 times I have been outbid on either AuctionArms or Gunbroker and I think it was fate that the K9 I want is finally within my grasp for $445 (+$20 for FFL).

I'll likely get the Wolff springs and a pair of extra mags just to be sure. ;)

chipD
04-15-2012, 06:36 PM
Congrats Larry, I think you will like it. I sure like mine. I shot a little low with mine at first, but it didn't take long to get onto the longer trigger pull.

Tinman507
04-15-2012, 07:38 PM
Congrats on the NYPD K9. Awesome firearm. Bought mine from AIM Surplus as well. Nice folks.
Be sure to detail strip that gun including the slide. Mine was totally gunked up. But she cleaned up real nice and is a dream to shoot.
Replacing the springs is a good idea too but go shoot it first.
Good luck with it!

CrazyLarry
04-15-2012, 11:19 PM
I ordered new springs from Wolff 5min after placing my order online with AIM.

grabbed a couple +5% magazine springs as well. Ya never know...