PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking for a medium grade 1911

downtownv
04-04-2012, 04:35 AM
Not the crazy high priced custom blah blah blah.
$500-$1300 range.
What should I look for and avoid?
How good are Sigs in this arena?
The caliper will be .45 , though I see a lot of 9mm options out there (Probably due to ammo costs...

DKD
04-04-2012, 05:11 AM
With that wide a price range, an entire field is open to you. Most of what I would call the better pistols would be closer to the $1,000.00 area. I WOULD LOOK AT THE FOLLOWING: Springfield Armory, Kimber, Sig Sauer, even the new Ruger 1911 if you find one thhat has the price jacked up. I would be comfortable with any of the above manufactures. You will find the Kimbers and Sigs at the higher end of you price range. Hope this helps you out. Happy Hunting

Ken_K
04-04-2012, 06:34 AM
First off, what are you planning to use it for? Plinking, hd, ccw?

TucsonMTB
04-04-2012, 06:47 AM
Here is a good review of the Dan Wesson Guardian (http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=62), which is available in both .45ACP and 9mm. It is at the top of your price range, but with Dan Wesson's strong track record and my own experience with their CBOB, this alloy framed, commander sized, bobtail is at the top of my wish list.

Go ahead. Make me jealous. Lots of people do. :o

http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss238/Onufriyenko/reviews/DW-Guardian_9mm/DW_Guardian_9mm008.jpg

downtownv
04-04-2012, 10:13 AM
PERSONAL PROTECTION BUT NOT CARRY Kahrs are made for CCW and of course Killing that terrible paper target at the range!

downtownv
04-04-2012, 10:18 AM
I keep hearing about Kimber; no one says anything about the Sig models.

wlc
04-04-2012, 10:45 AM
Check out STI. They make some very nice 1911 and 2011 pistols in that price range. I like them more than Kimber. JMO

DKD
04-04-2012, 10:47 AM
DOWNTOWNNV,

I mentioed the Sig Sauer 1911's in my post. What are you suggesting that 1911's are for paper punching and not CCW? If I am misunderstanding your response I will beg your pardon......if not, than you are sorely mistaken. Whats wrong with condition #1 cocked & locked...been done for over 100 years with complete sucess. The 1911 is an awsome platformas a defensive pistol, now I'm not sayig that I would like to carry i my pocket that way...most even the 3" models are still way to heavy for that style & mode of carry, but on the belt, or IWB carry it's a very viable platform.

Bawanna
04-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Didn't GB just get a Sig not too long ago? I think it was a Sig, maybe a Smith?

For that range there are a ton of very good 1911's to choose from. I got an MRI 1911G first of the year and I love it. Great gun and a great value. The Remington about the same price range and also very nice.

The Ruger SR1911 I held was very nice and a heck of a gun in the 700 range too.

I haven't owned an STI but somebody already mentioned those and the ones I held looked really good too.

I know the first Ruger I meet face to face that's for sale I'll probably take home, I'll get a beating but it's happened before.

I agree with Tucson too, I carry a Cbob everyday and while they are at the top end of your price range, very top, they are an incredibly nice gun.

I envy your search, I have the desire, I just need your 1500 bucks and it would be a great day. Heck for 1500 I could get 2 Rugers or MRI's.
If the right one don't get ya, then the left one will, kiss ka boom, kiss ka boom. I should have been a rock star but prefer banjo. It's a curse.

downtownv
04-04-2012, 11:35 AM
Well where do I begin.... I'm a business man from NJ where retired cops can barely be approved for carry. That being said I have a CCW permits from ME UT And FL so I have to travel out of state first and was thinking smaller lighter is better (Hence my Kahrs cw-9 and K-9)
I would love to carry an M-60 but I gotta hump it and don't need the extra baggage.If I lived in a normal state, OWB holsters would be no problem. IWB is a little different.

Bawanna
04-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Well where do I begin.... I'm a business man from NJ where retired cops can barely be approved for carry. That being said I have a CCW permits from ME UT And FL so I have to travel out of state first and was thinking smaller lighter is better (Hence my Kahrs cw-9 and K-9)
I would love to carry an M-60 but I gotta hump it and don't need the extra baggage.If I lived in a normal state, OWB holsters would be no problem. IWB is a little different.

Every gun search starts with the first step. They are like paintings and art work. When you hold the right one it'll just hit ya and the relationship begins.

Too bad your so far away I'd love to be a part of the search.

Ken_K
04-04-2012, 12:06 PM
Sometimes I forget about the states that have gone full retard with gun laws. Getting my CHL was a total piece of cake. Even getting the local LEO to sign off on a SBR, suppressor, or FA is simple.

downtownv
04-04-2012, 12:30 PM
Ken-I'm jealous!

downtownv
04-04-2012, 12:38 PM
Bawanna, what an honor that would be! The Jersey shore is great.... in a few months, other wise its wind blown and shuttered the rest of the year!
I have a 20% off deal from Sig that would get me in the $800 range (Pretty Good)
I love my 229 but they aren't known for there 1911's so much that's why I ask....
Anyone ever been to the sig pro-shop?
Talk about a kid in a candy store!!!!!!

Bawanna
04-04-2012, 01:54 PM
Theres a 1911 picture thread. I just looked there and GB got a Smith, I was thinking it was a Sig.

If you got a discount coupon for Sig, get one. I'm sure it will be only the first of many, 1911's are quite addictive.

wlc
04-04-2012, 02:03 PM
You should be able to find lots of opinions here. http://forums.1911forum.com/

downtownv
04-04-2012, 02:19 PM
That's what I hear, they're like herion! LMOA and just as expensive.

downtownv
04-04-2012, 02:20 PM
WIC been over there I feel a little intimidated as those boys know they're stuff!

downtownv
04-04-2012, 02:21 PM
HOLY CRAP I've spit out enough gobblety goop to become a senior member, Does that mean I'm now officially full of Sh*t?

Bawanna
04-04-2012, 02:22 PM
WIC been over there I feel a little intimidated as those boys know they're stuff!

Me too. I put a paper sack over my head when I visited. I don't know if they know their stuff but they are sure serious about it.

I keep meaning to look more over there but frankly I'm kind of afraid.

You guys didn't see that right? I'm not afraid of nuttin.

downtownv
04-04-2012, 02:23 PM
Except Sasquatch......

Bawanna
04-04-2012, 02:25 PM
HOLY CRAP I've spit out enough gobblety goop to become a senior member, Does that mean I'm now officially full of Sh*t?

Dang it and the day after we ran out of the Jocko Super Secret decoder ring with secret handshake instructions too. All your FREE when you hit 100.
Guy before Speck got the last one until we get more in. I'm just sick about this.

Rumor has it you were official long before you got here.

I can't believe the devil made me say that, what's come over me. I didn't mean it, he made me do it, I tried to fight it but I got a red hot pitchfork right in the hing quarters and wham there it is.

I hate myself.

downtownv
04-04-2012, 02:32 PM
Did you ever realize how hard it is to type that secret code? that stuff woulda been worth something put me on the backorder list!

O'Dell
04-04-2012, 02:34 PM
I keep hearing about Kimber; no one says anything about the Sig models.

Well, I will. One of the pistols stolen in February of last year was a SIG C3. I liked it so well that it was the only gun I replaced with a new one just like the old. I have 1911's by SIG, STI, Springfield, Kimber, and Detonics currently and in the past have had Colts, S&W, and Armscor. The SIG is my favorite of the bunch. Not only has it been 100%, for me it's as accurate a a full sized 1911, even with the 4.25 inch barrel. I also think it's my best looking gun.

Bawanna
04-04-2012, 03:09 PM
Well there you have it. I knew there was a pretty Sig floating around here someplace. If you change your name to Greg I would have been right and looked all good and stuff. Not even close.

I do agree, that is a pretty 1911. Real pretty.

jocko
04-04-2012, 03:16 PM
hell bawanna if it looked like a hockey stick but said 45 on it, u would say it is "real pretty".

What is u guys 45 handshake or do u guys just all grab urselves and shake away. Just askin.

Bawanna
04-04-2012, 04:04 PM
hell bawanna if it looked like a hockey stick but said 45 on it, u would say it is "real pretty".

What is u guys 45 handshake or do u guys just all grab urselves and shake away. Just askin.

Maybe so, maybe so.

You should shock the world and buy one yourself. Maybe skip the new Harley this year and you could buy 35 of them and give em out at Halloween. I'll be hitting your place for sure.

Oh, you might want to keep the Hog gassed up, I invited the last 13 member to hit senior status to go for a ride with ya. I knew you wouldn't mind.

They said they'd feel safer riding behind your missus for safety sake and track record, I told them that was beyond my control.

gb6491
04-04-2012, 05:25 PM
$500-$1300 range.
The caliper will be .45 , though I see a lot of 9mm options out there (Probably due to ammo costs...
I looked at SIG Scorpion the other day and think it a nice pistol (so are the base model SIGs).

As STI was mentioned; one of their lower end guns (that gets very good reviews) starts out in the Philippines. I'm not ragging on this, just using it as a lead in to suggesting that some of the 1911s made by Armscor/Rock Island Armory and Metro Arms might be worth a look.

From my hands on experience in your price range, I recommend Springfield Armory's Range Officer. I feel it's a great value piece. Fitted to the same standards as SA's TRP and Trophy Match, it' set up to be a wonderful range gun, but would serve well for other needs (FWIW, all SA 1911s start life as a frame and slide from Brazil).
http://oi39.tinypic.com/df7udw.jpg
Here's my E-series S&W 1911 that Bawanna mentioned. It's another excellent pistol in your price range:
http://i41.tinypic.com/rrjms3.jpg
Two more under a grand that will serve you well:
Colt Government Model
http://i41.tinypic.com/xcq3uw.jpg
My favorite, a Kimber TLE II
http://i41.tinypic.com/2rhbqdv.jpg
Don't forget the used market, I picked up this SA1911 a few years back for $400 and it has given me excellent service since then (I did refinish it).
http://i53.tinypic.com/b55swi.jpg
THEY ALL FALL TO HARDBALL!

Shortly before I retired from active duty, I had the pleasure of meeting John J. McGinty III (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_J._McGinty_III). He had occasion to use a .45 caliber 1911 in the jungle of Viet Nam on 18 July 1966.
Regards,
Greg

downtownv
04-04-2012, 05:50 PM
GB
Well, I can see the addiction starts, when the needle hits the vein!
I thought owning one would be cool, but I see how wrong you could be!
Sweet set of pistolas!

downtownv
04-04-2012, 06:05 PM
I met Greg McPartlin in Coronado CA
Author Nam era American hero!
Combat Corpsman: The Vietnam Memoir of a Navy SEALs Medic (11/1/2005)
Incredible story!

CJB
04-04-2012, 06:11 PM
Again... getting in late on this discussion. I see a lot of very fine choices. Springfield GI series cant be beat (except an upgrade barrel... I dont like their standard barrels).

May I suggest... you may want to just build your own.

If you call up Caspian - good folks, GREAT frames and slides, they'll sell to you direct, at better than online prices. How bout THAT! Frames through FFL of course.

Not hard to do.. some gotchas with a few things. Drop in barrel would be best. Better quality hammer/seal/disconnector would be best. In both cases, almost completely prefit, and that fit will be better than most run of the mill mid grade guns.

Thinking on it - maybe the GI series is entry grade. I dunno... I like savin' money, getting the lower price, and just put the money into stuff I want.

Just a thought or two.....

xr1200guy
12-09-2012, 06:52 PM
i bought a thompson 1911tc i'm very happy with.

7shot
12-09-2012, 07:02 PM
Give a look at Rock Island Armory. They have some darn nice pistols for around $450-500, very basic. I also like the Springfield GI but I haven't seen one of those for two or three years.

les strat
12-09-2012, 07:52 PM
Holy thread resurrection!

mluikey
12-09-2012, 08:07 PM
I absolutely love my Sig 1911. I used it in a class yesterday and shot 200 flawless rounds and hit steel at 75 yards at the amazement of my fellow classmates. I have the sig RCS C3 1911.

brianfede
12-09-2012, 09:21 PM
I would look at the SA Range Officer, STI Trojan or Dan Wesson Heritage, or if you go the used route I would consider a Dan Wesson Valor, SA TRP or Les Baer Thunder Ranch. I'm sure with the holidays coming up there will be a lot of good used deals out there.

Barth
12-13-2012, 11:09 AM
$500-$1300 range.

I know this is the wrong place and total blasphemy on several levels.
But while contemplating getting a 1911.
I ended up with a NIB Heckler and Koch HK45C for $999.
This gun is one of the softest shooting 45s I've fired.
Crazy reliable out of the box and deadly accurate.
Dollar for dollar this gun is nothing short of outstanding on every level.
As the immortal Jocko likes to say,
I'm just saying...
HK45C was adopted by the United States Naval Special Warfare Command in September 2010.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6c/36217_136421846369642_136419783036515_381525_55006 45_n.jpg/250px-36217_136421846369642_136419783036515_381525_55006 45_n.jpghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/77/HK45C_Threaded_Barrel.jpg/300px-HK45C_Threaded_Barrel.jpg

Rufus
12-13-2012, 04:13 PM
A while back, I was in a gun shop looking at 1911s in 45 cal. The shop had Sigs, Dan Wessons, Smith and Wessons, Colt, etc. While the clerk and I were talking, he told me that he had just ordered an STI for himself (this store does not usually carry STIs). I live in Georgetown, TX, home of STI, so I started looking at their guns. I ended up getting an STI Trojan in 45 cal. I immediately fell in love with the gun, and like it so much that I sold my M&P 9mm to a friend and ordered another STI in 9mm. This time I ordered the Spartan, which has its frame made by Armscor in the Philippines. I found out from the guys at STI that the frame is made by Armscor, but all of the internals, hammer, slide, etc. are STI. I also live about 20 minutes from Dawson Precision, and I went over there to talk to them about the gun. They did not have any 9mms, but had the plain 45 and the tricked-out 45. You can't believe how short the trigger reset is on these guns! I ended up placing an order for the 9mm version of the STI Spartan, and I am having Dawson Precision add the same DP sight on this gun that I had put on my Trojan.

Dang, I don't know what's happened to me! I seem to be selling off some other guns and moving to 1911 platforms. I really like the feel of these guns, and they shoot great. OK, what's the point? For the amount of money that you have budgeted you can get a great gun. Look around and ask questions. My vote goes to STI, and you can get several models in your price range.