PDA

View Full Version : Def not a big deal but couple of "issues" with my CW45.

BLUEPSTU
04-04-2012, 08:52 AM
This is in no way a complaint as I love the gun. I probably would have never posted these questions had I not just purchased a CW9 for the wife and noticed that her gun did not have these issues. I had just considered this to be characteristics of the CW45 and they may be, but just wanted to ask since it was different from my wife's gun.

Issue #1 It takes a little work on the CW45 to get the magazines to engage. I really have to hit up and jam it in there and even then I don't hear the "click" like I did when I put the magazine in on the CW9. Is this normal?

Issue#2 I can't believe how hard it is to get the slide stop out of the CW45. It nearly is a two person job and I have to use the bottom of a screwdriver or something to push on the button on the right side of the gun to release the slide stop. When I took my wife's gun I was surprised that the slightest little push with my thumb did the trick.

Just wondering if this is the norm for the CW45. Thanks for any info.

wyntrout
04-04-2012, 09:06 AM
The magazines shouldn't be that hard to engage or lock in place. your magazine catch might be out of tolerance. You should check the mags for burrs and sand or lightly file the magazine retention slot with a small file that fits. The upper side of the slot may need just a tad taken off. Go slowly until the mag "snicks" into place securely, and try to keep it square... a small set of needle files is cheap at Harbor Freight... the China Tool Store.:D

My PM45 slide lock pin is harder to release, too. I sometimes have to resort to tapping it with a screwdriver handle to get it moving. You have to have the alignment right, too. I could never find anything the right size to stick in the ejection port to hold the slide in position, so it is a bit challenging. I try to use both thumbs on the pin while holding the slide in position. Three hands would definitely help! :D

I need to check out a CW9 for my wife. I don't want to give her my P380 to hide in the trunk until... or WTSHTF.

Wynn:)

JustinN
04-04-2012, 09:37 AM
Issue #1 It takes a little work on the CW45 to get the magazines to engage. I really have to hit up and jam it in there and even then I don't hear the "click" like I did when I put the magazine in on the CW9. Is this normal?

Question on this. Do you mean with the slide closed and a loaded mag? Or is it also with an open slide? I have several .45s that with a loaded mag, that big ole .45 sticks up so high if you try to push it in on a closed slide, it resists a bit....

ptoemmes
04-04-2012, 09:42 AM
Issue#2 I can't believe how hard it is to get the slide stop out of the CW45. It nearly is a two person job and I have to use the bottom of a screwdriver or something to push on the button on the right side of the gun to release the slide stop. When I took my wife's gun I was surprised that the slightest little push with my thumb did the trick.

My P45 slide stop took some persuasion to come out the first few times - or more - but it is easier/normal now.

Pete

PS
You probably already know, but be sure you re-insert the slide stop correctly under the spring.

BLUEPSTU
04-04-2012, 10:37 AM
Might have to do that. P.S. I think I'm going to post a pic/thread later of a grouping my wife had with the CW9.

The magazines shouldn't be that hard to engage or lock in place. your magazine catch might be out of tolerance. You should check the mags for burrs and sand or lightly file the magazine retention slot with a small file that fits. The upper side of the slot may need just a tad taken off. Go slowly until the mag "snicks" into place securely, and try to keep it square... a small set of needle files is cheap at Harbor Freight... the China Tool Store.:D

My PM45 slide lock pin is harder to release, too. I sometimes have to resort to tapping it with a screwdriver handle to get it moving. You have to have the alignment right, too. I could never find anything the right size to stick in the ejection port to hold the slide in position, so it is a bit challenging. I try to use both thumbs on the pin while holding the slide in position. Three hands would definitely help! :D

I need to check out a CW9 for my wife. I don't want to give her my P380 to hide in the trunk until... or WTSHTF.

Hadn't thought about it but it may only be when the slide is closed. I'll have to check it out later.

Question on this. Do you mean with the slide closed and a loaded mag? Or is it also with an open slide? I have several .45s that with a loaded mag, that big ole .45 sticks up so high if you try to push it in on a closed slide, it resists a bit....

I was amazed at how easy the CW9 was. I guess it could just be a little hitch with this CW45. I'm hoping ti will get easier with time.

My P45 slide stop took some persuasion to come out the first few times - or more - but it is easier/normal now.

Pete

PS
You probably already know, but be sure you re-insert the slide stop correctly under the spring.

wyntrout
04-04-2012, 11:00 AM
The video at Kahr.com is very helpful for those procedures in the takedown video:

http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-CW9.asp

wyntrout
04-04-2012, 11:05 AM
The magazine should not be too hard to insert fully with the slide forward. This could be a problem when reloading or topping off with +1 and the slide forward.

I bought a bunch of 8-round stainless CheckMate mags for my Springfield Champion and the metal based ones are almost impossible to load with the slide forward, but the plastic-based ones were easy to load. This is nice to know before betting your life in a self-defense situation.:eek:

BLUEPSTU
04-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies and the info.