PDA

View Full Version : Reloading update

melissa5
04-04-2012, 03:46 PM
So I've been reloading for around 8 months with a Lee Classic Turret and it's been slow but steady. Now, there is a broken plastic part that the index rod goes through and I have to index it by hand. :( Technical support is sending me a new part since the press is still under warranty. :)

For a month or so I've been thinking that I need a progressive press since I need to reload a lot of rounds for competition - 110 rounds for every gun that I shoot. Later this month, I plan to shoot 6 guns. So, I ordered a Lee Loadmaster and finally got it set up right. You guys weren't kidding when you told me that you had to be a little mechanical to get a progressive set up. The case feeder was a PITA. Anyway, I've loaded 300 rounds so far and am a lot happier with it than the turret press.

I've also changed some things in my reloading routine so that I don't have any squibs or KB's. First, I've been separating my cases by brand and weighing the finished round to be doubly sure that they all have powder. Then, I'm using my barrel as a case gauge. Third all questionable rounds are going into a container to be taken apart later. Last, when the round has been weighed and gauged, I place them in trays primer side up so that I can visually inspect the primer depth. I've found a couple where the primer was in upside down.

I have a few questions for those who have a Loadmaster or Pro 1000. Does the case collator work really good? Do you use the explosion shield?

DKD
04-04-2012, 04:03 PM
Sorry sugar I have been reloading for 36 years and still only have two single stage press's, one old Lyman "C" press and one RCBS Rockchucker press. Yea its slow for pistols but when I load for rifles I am aiming for ultra precision and usually get it due to the nature of such a set up. Hopefully someone on the site can help you out with your question. By the way....welcome to the world of rolling your own....set up is casting your own bullets.

Bawanna
04-04-2012, 04:05 PM
:mad::4: Did he just call my cyber bride sugar? :80::(

MW surveyor
04-04-2012, 05:28 PM
:mad::4: Did he just call my cyber bride sugar? :80::(

Yes he did!!!!!

:popcorn:

Bawanna
04-04-2012, 05:40 PM
I thought so.

melissa5
04-04-2012, 06:02 PM
I thought so.

Don't worry, honey!

Tilos
04-04-2012, 06:17 PM
Wow...weighing every loaded round:eek:
You need a powder cop die.
There's a lot of people using Lee stuff over here, with many threads dedicated to Lee equipment fixes/mods:

http://www.thehighroad.org/forumdisplay.php?f=15

Do a search there, lots to read, join, reveal your gender and you'll get lots of "help". (sorry Bawanna:madgrin:).

Bawanna
04-04-2012, 07:00 PM
There's a lot of people using Lee stuff over here, with many threads dedicated to Lee equipment fixes/mods:

Do a search there, lots to read, join, reveal your gender and you'll get lots of "help". (sorry Bawanna:madgrin:).

Highroad don't sound like a place that would allow someone like me. I'm kind of a lowroad (awe, sorry lowroad) kind of guy myself.

TucsonMTB
04-04-2012, 10:41 PM
Highroad don't sound like a place that would allow someone like me. I'm kind of a lowroad (awe, sorry lowroad) kind of guy myself.
Hey! They can't be too picky. They let me join last year. http://home.mindspring.com/%7Ejustsomeguy/icon_lol.gif

There is not much Kahr activity there, but fairly often a THR post comes up in searches when I am researching something. They are a good bunch of people. :)

You ought to be a shoe-in.

melissa5
04-05-2012, 05:45 AM

Thanks Tilos!

lowroad
04-05-2012, 05:56 AM
Highroad don't sound like a place that would allow someone like me. I'm kind of a lowroad (awe, sorry lowroad) kind of guy Myself.

HEY :mad::D

AIRret
04-05-2012, 07:58 AM
WHat is the average number of times you can reload a cartridge?
How do you know when it's time to retire the cartridge?
How much does good progressive reloading system cost?
Fortunately, I now have my husband talked into reloading. For me reloading goes beyond saving a few bucks. It's a way to stay prepared if and when ammo becomes scares.

mr surveyor
04-05-2012, 08:04 AM
...... It's a way to stay prepared if and when ammo becomes scares.

when factory loaded ammunition is scarce, so are the basic components of primers, bullets, powder and brass.

DKD
04-05-2012, 08:08 AM
The scarcity of components only exists if one isn't properly prepared. An old Army words of wisdom comes to mind....."The Seven P's"
Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance!

AIRret
04-05-2012, 08:11 AM
You are right, surveyor. I was just thinking that if you had your reloading supplies you would have one more option. I think factory ammo will run out first. By reloading you should be able to stay armed longer than most people.

chuckt
04-05-2012, 08:27 AM
How long cases last depends on how heavy they are loaded. I have some I have loaded over 20 times with light loads.

Tilos
04-05-2012, 08:27 AM
Mr.B:
I apologize for sending your cyber sweetie out into the world of reloading.
I'm thinking she knows ALL men are pigs...even someone as charming as you.
Sorry.

Tilos
04-05-2012, 08:35 AM
M:
Lots of professional setup videos here, not just someone droning on and on, on you tube:

http://ultimatereloader.com/2009/11/21/loadmaster-loading-45-acp-hd/

Tilos

OldLincoln
04-05-2012, 09:43 AM
I don't have a progressive but if I did I WOULD have the powder cop. The two basic serious problems I read about are squibs and double loads. The Powder Cop is supposed to shut you down before seating the bullet if either occur.

Also, be sure to ground your press and primer tube.

AIRret
04-05-2012, 09:55 AM
thanks old lincoln.
Hey Mr. B, sounds like you aren't secure in your relationships; hmmmmmmm.

Bawanna
04-05-2012, 10:56 AM
thanks old lincoln.
Hey Mr. B, sounds like you aren't secure in your relationships; hmmmmmmm.

No, I'm very secure, I'm just extremely jealous sometimes when monkey's look at other peoples monkeys.

I think it's time to add you to my cyber wife collection. Will you marry me? If it's any comfort I've never met any of my cyber wives, I have to check my records but I believe you would be wife # 8. No rank with cyber wifes. Well I'm kind of partial to Melissa but well I love you all.

In answer to your questions.
Whew, I gotta go back and look at the questions, I'm all a flutter in anticipation of your answer to my question.

I too have reloaded cases at least 20 times, depends on how much you work the case loading and the load itself.
I just inspect for cracks or weak areas, after a time primers will be loose. If a case looks questionable I don't risk it, toss it.

I loaded on Rockchucker single stages for many years and last year got a Hornady LockNLoad progressive. It's different and you have to pay attention but it's fast and very accurate and I like it alot.
I rigged up a dental mirror to the frame of the press and I can easily look down in every case in the station after the powder drop before seating the bullet. Easy to see if there's no powder or a double charge. The powder cop would be a good thing and I plan to get one someday.

I don't recall exactly what I paid. They have specials frequently and offers of bullets with the purchase. I think mine was around 400 or a bit more and I got 500 45 bullets with it.

I'll anxiously await your reply.

AIRret
04-05-2012, 01:34 PM
Hey Bawanna, my Husband thinks it's great if I become your eighth cyber wife. But he also want to know if you and your wife cyber swing. Boy this is getting complicated. Now I know why people say reloading is FUN.
Oh, Oh, my husband thinks He might be better off buying new ammo. Heck, I thought I had him talked into reloading. Now I'll have to start over.

Bawanna
04-05-2012, 01:49 PM
Hey Bawanna, my Husband thinks it's great if I become your eighth cyber wife. But he also want to know if you and your wife cyber swing. Boy this is getting complicated. Now I know why people say reloading is FUN.
Oh, Oh, my husband thinks He might be better off buying new ammo. Heck, I thought I had him talked into reloading. Now I'll have to start over.

We're not into that swinging stuff, we did some western swing dancing in my walking days but none of that other kinky nasty stuff. You might check with Jocko on that.

I hope that doesn't throw a wet blanket on our new found life together as cyber man and wife. You've made me the happiest man alive.

Reloading can become an enjoyable hobby of it's own regardless of money saved. Most money saved is just used up shooting more often.
I wouldn't get to shoot nearly as much if I didn't reload.

PS- Just how big and ole boy is your real life hubby anyhow? Just askin?

AIRret
04-05-2012, 03:31 PM
Hey Bawanna, yeah, were good. Cyber Man and Wife.
And I agree, our primary goal with reloading is just so we can shoot more. Currently we go through 500 to 700 factory loads (mostly 9mm) a week.

Bawanna
04-05-2012, 03:37 PM
Hey Bawanna, yeah, were good. Cyber Man and Wife.
And I agree, our primary goal with reloading is just so we can shoot more. Currently we go through 500 to 700 factory loads (mostly 9mm) a week.

Mein Gott, I married a rich woman. Shooting that much I'm not sure you'd have time to reload. Bypass all the single stages, go straight to a progressive.

That's a lot of loading and a lot of new ammo to buy.

OldLincoln
04-05-2012, 05:03 PM
Reminds me of talking about how my wife and I were spending more time talking and keeping open communication. Next thing I know I'm getting dirty looks from the wives and smirks from the guys and they started asking me about our open marriage.

Just kidding... I read that as a joke somewhere, but ya gotta be careful these days. 50 years ago they'd said "Cooool Dude!"

AIRret
04-06-2012, 06:59 AM
Hey, we are not rich we just LOVE to shoot. But in truth we really need to start reloading.

DaveInCA
04-06-2012, 10:04 AM
The powder cop would be a good thing and I plan to get one someday.

I made one from an extra decapping die I had. Put a rod I made from a broken decapping pin in it with a O-ring to set the full mark. I set the O-ring to just float above the top of the die when properly charged. This works very well, and was free. Not as good as the ones that lock up the progressive I guess.

Bawanna
04-06-2012, 10:12 AM
I made one from an extra decapping die I had. Put a rod I made from a broken decapping pin in it with a O-ring to set the full mark. I set the O-ring to just float above the top of the die when properly charged. This works very well, and was free. Not as good as the ones that lock up the progressive I guess.

The O-ring keeps the pin from just dropping out? So you just watch to see if the O-ring raises a bit and your good?

Not sure I got this in my head right.

DaveInCA
04-06-2012, 11:02 AM
I'll see if I can get a picture this weekend.
But yes, there is a small depression at the top of my die. With an empty case in place the O-ring sits just below the top of the die. When a correctly charged case is in place there is just a bit of daylight below the O-ring, and an over charged case it sits up way to high. With no case at all the O-ring keeps the peg from dropping through. It works well as long as I remember to watch it on my downward stroke. I use a Hornady LNL.

Bawanna
04-06-2012, 11:40 AM
I'll see if I can get a picture this weekend.
But yes, there is a small depression at the top of my die. With an empty case in place the O-ring sits just below the top of the die. When a correctly charged case is in place there is just a bit of daylight below the O-ring, and an over charged case it sits up way to high. With no case at all the O-ring keeps the peg from dropping through. It works well as long as I remember to watch it on my downward stroke. I use a Hornady LNL.

I use a Hornady LNL too. I rigged a dental mirror to the front frame so I can actually see. As you say I just have to remember to look. With the progressive it's easy to start cranking and run out of primers, or powder etc, gotta keep our wits about us.

Seems like a guy could rig up a threaded rod similar to what you have, so you could lock it in place.

Do you have anything on the bottom of the pin to cover a larger area. I'm wondering if the pin is just pushing into the powder? With no resistance maybe not.

DaveInCA
04-06-2012, 11:50 AM
Do you have anything on the bottom of the pin to cover a larger area. I'm wondering if the pin is just pushing into the powder? With no resistance maybe not.

It isn't actually a "pin", but a rod, probable 30 caliber with a flat bottom. You could use a piece of wood doweling just as well.

Bawanna
04-06-2012, 12:18 PM
It isn't actually a "pin", but a rod, probable 30 caliber with a flat bottom. You could use a piece of wood doweling just as well.

Aww, for some reason I was thinking you were using the depriming pin which was a stupid thought on my part since it isn't nearly long enough.

30cal should work really well. Or the wood dowel. I might have to look into that.

OldLincoln
04-06-2012, 03:03 PM
I bought hardwood dowels from Lowes that just fit my 9mm and another for the 45. I have 1 of each cut to length to punch out a squib from either gun. Haven't needed them since but I got 'em. I t would be simple to roll an O ring on it to gauge powder level but how would you do that to each round in a progressive? Wouldn't you have to reach through the middle of the press to hand check it? Seems like more trouble than buying the cop die.

Bawanna
04-06-2012, 03:35 PM
I bought hardwood dowels from Lowes that just fit my 9mm and another for the 45. I have 1 of each cut to length to punch out a squib from either gun. Haven't needed them since but I got 'em. I t would be simple to roll an O ring on it to gauge powder level but how would you do that to each round in a progressive? Wouldn't you have to reach through the middle of the press to hand check it? Seems like more trouble than buying the cop die.

He's basically making his own powder cop with an extra die. It would remain stationary and when the case gets pushed up it would push the little rod up indicating there's powder there.
I think I would have to get a powder thru flaring die to free up a station for the powder cop.

Tilos
04-06-2012, 04:12 PM
I think I would have to get a powder thru flaring die to free up a station for the powder cop.

I just did this, with Lee stuff, so I could add a Hornady bullet feeding die, to my RCBS piggyback press and still seat and crimp seperately.:yo:.
No more connecting/disconnecting the powder measure...no case=no powder now:D.

I will be using plastic tubes full of bullets, filled much like primer tubes, to keep the bullet feeding die stocked.
Loading the empty case and pulling the lever will be the only hand operation with this setup.
This also repositions the powder charged case to where it's easier to visually check the powder charge.

OldLincoln
04-06-2012, 05:59 PM
Okay I now understand that it's a visual check gauge, pretty slick.

If you should favor the RCBS Lock out Die, I read that: "While crafted for use in RCBS progressive presses, the RCBS Lock-Out Die can also be used on a Dillon XL Progressive (http://ultimatereloader.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/RCBS_lockout_XL-650_600.jpg) or Hornady Lock-N-Load progressive" (http://ultimatereloader.com/?p=780) [Really coo video!!!!!]

WARNING: The Hornady video will make Hornady progressive loaders drool. A drool cup is strongly advised.

Tilos
04-06-2012, 06:35 PM
M:
Lots of professional setup videos here, not just someone droning on and on, on you tube:

http://ultimatereloader.com/2009/11/21/loadmaster-loading-45-acp-hd/

Tilos
Same site I posted a link to in THIS thread and many times before.
just sayin'

DaveInCA
04-06-2012, 07:56 PM
Here are pictures of my home made powder cop. Proper level, low level, high level. And I actually used a faucet washer, not an O-ring as I originally stated and put some red paint on it. The rod is a broken decapping pin turned upside down.