PDA

View Full Version : GunBroker.com Computer Threat?

Dozer
02-12-2010, 08:10 PM
>>> This problem has been fixed and is no longer an issue<<< I have Norton internet security and have very recently noticed that GunBroker.com is now being flagged as a possible source of malware. Has anyone else seen this problem? I certainly don't want to visit their site if there are problems with it. I can wait until it is no longer being flagged.

wyntrout
02-12-2010, 09:40 PM
Dozer, I had warnings like that when I first upgraded to the 2009 version for sites like major software sites that I used. I haven't had any like that for a long time. I would be wary, but wouldn't stop going to places like Gunbroker. You always need to be sure you're at the site you were wanting to go -- .com vs .net or some slight misspelling because there are many spoofing sites waiting for mistakes in spelling and such. Don't ever click on one of those fake virus checking things that pops up and starts a "virus check". Use control-alt-delete to Program Manager and end the darn program -- that way is safest. Then maybe a full system scan... at least a quick scan.
I've removed those things from other systems, but I got one that put my computer into a perpetual boot that I couldn't break out of. I wound up reformatting and using my latest backup which was pretty old. I did back up the infected drive and recover a lot of the stuff on there, but that sucked.
I'm running the 2010 Version with Norton Utilities now and i had problems at first and needed tech support to get the package I wanted at the advertised price. I wound up getting 27 or 28 months when I was trying to get the 24 month deal. They couldn't get the price to match the deal offered so I accepted more time -- after almost two hours!
Wynn

In-Yo-Grill
02-13-2010, 08:37 AM
On the contrary. I think everyone should stay away from GunBroker...Nothing good to see there.

johnh
02-13-2010, 09:03 AM
As a network admin, I have seen viruses on legitimate commercial sites. We had to block Oprah's site for a short period as it had a virus infected pop-up years ago. Made the ladies at work angry. So there may have been something that Norton flagged at some point. If so I suspect the folks at Gunbroker cleared it up quickly.

On the other hand I have found some anti-virus programs a bit too agressive. I have tended to use Avast over the years, and more recently switched to MSE. I have never found a benefit in the big money ones. In fact I have seen MSE catch things others did not lately. Perhaps just because Microsoft pulled the trigger faster in adding a virus to the definitions.

John

Vinikahr
02-13-2010, 11:43 AM
I have Norton internet security and have very recently noticed that GunBroker.com is now being flagged as a possible source of malware. Has anyone else seen this problem? I certainly don't want to visit their site if there are problems with it. I can wait until it is no longer being flagged.

No issues in mine, but I use MacAfee.

Dozer
02-13-2010, 01:20 PM
I did contact the support team for GB and they got right on it. As of this writing, the flag is still present, but I should give GB and Norton time to get together. According to Norton, there are 6 downloaded images with very suspicious scripts embedded within them.

Raoul
02-13-2010, 01:33 PM
As a network admin, I have seen viruses on legitimate commercial sites. We had to block Oprah's site for a short period as it had a virus infected pop-up years ago. Made the ladies at work angry. So there may have been something that Norton flagged at some point. If so I suspect the folks at Gunbroker cleared it up quickly.

On the other hand I have found some anti-virus programs a bit too agressive. I have tended to use Avast over the years, and more recently switched to MSE. I have never found a benefit in the big money ones. In fact I have seen MSE catch things others did not lately. Perhaps just because Microsoft pulled the trigger faster in adding a virus to the definitions.

John

interesting. I've also always thought that both McAfee and Norton were extraordinary resource hogs.

rtrider
02-13-2010, 02:29 PM
Almost no risk of infection.... that said, you should always practice safe surfing.....

Longitude Zero
02-13-2010, 02:45 PM
I think everyone should stay away from GunBroker...Nothing good to see there.

Total agreement here.

Vinikahr
02-13-2010, 03:13 PM
Total agreement here.

Sometimes you will have a vendor or two that will sell something at a reasonable price, but the rest are just that.
They are way overprice.:eek:
Favorite place is Buds.

Raoul
02-13-2010, 03:34 PM
I'd have to say that in the past I've probablly found a couple of items there that were't generally available. before the hoarding time hit us I picked up 1k of Ranger LEO 9mm at a really good price. Also found a Steyr S9A1 NIB at an adequate price. Recently though everything is way too high.

In-Yo-Grill
02-13-2010, 04:12 PM
Sometimes you will have a vendor or two that will sell something at a reasonable price, but the rest are just that.
They are way overprice.:eek:
Favorite place is Buds.

Yep...you keep believing that and everything will be ok...:9:

If you want something and are patient, there are plenty of diamonds in the rough of different auction websites.

That being said I also like Buds. I'm only greatfull that I didn't find that sight sooner. I'd be in more trouble than I already am.

Dozer
02-13-2010, 05:43 PM
Well, it didn't take very long. The folks at GunBroker.com fixed whatever problem they had with Norton flagging them as a potential computer threat. I'm glad. When I bought my K40, it was off of GB for $440. I thought I got a good deal on a new Elite 2003. I don't know about them being very overpriced, I believe you pay only what you consider fair, and if it gets too expensive - you don't buy.

Bot
02-13-2010, 05:52 PM
So you want us to stay away from one of the very few sites that promote freedom of purchasing guns? There is nothing wrong with gunbroker. It's one of the few places you can find older hard to find guns and every other thing you've heard about thats cool.

Steve-$
02-13-2010, 07:05 PM
I am using Norton 360v3 and so far have not had any issues with Norton flagging GunBroker for any threats.

Good to hear they got the issue resolved.