PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 10-22 ITAC

melissa5
04-06-2012, 06:20 AM
My S&W M&P15-22 that I bought for .22 steel challenge matches shot the extractor out somewhere and I can't find it. So, S&W is sending a pre-paid shipping label to send the gun to them for free service. It seems that some of the early models had a problem with this.

So, while shopping for reloading supplies, I ran across the Ruger 10-22 ITAC. It fits me better than the other models with wooden stocks. I put a Primary Arms Micro red dot on it, but would like to put some iron sights on it. It does not come with any sights at all. I'm thinking about some Magpul flip up sights.

The match is tomorrow morning, so wish me luck! :)

http://www.impactguns.com/data/default/images/catalog/535/ruger_1287.jpg

wyntrout
04-06-2012, 08:31 AM
I saw one of those at the last gun show... or something close. I liked the adjustable and folding stock. I can't remember if it had sights, but it was $399. I bought my Wal-Mart 10/22 All-Weather Carbine on the way home from the disappointing show.

Good luck on the shoot! What ammo are you using? I haven't had a chance to shoot mine again since I bought 9,200 rounds of assorted ammo... "normal", Stingers, and several sub-sonic types.

Wynn:)

melissa5
04-06-2012, 09:04 AM
I fed it some of the Federal Bulk 550 pack yesterday when I was sighting in my red dot and it didn't have any problems. I paid $324 for the rifle.

wyntrout
04-06-2012, 09:18 AM
That sounds like a better deal than I saw. I bought a bunch of the Federal Champion VP525, too, from Cabela's while it was on sale and $2 shipping, with the dry box, as well. It's $22 a box + tax at WM here and I got a double order from Cabela's... two dry boxes and 8 boxes of the Federal... 4,200 rounds for about $162 shipped to the door. That will be my plinking ammo, well, range ammo. I don't that I'll be doing any "plinking" down here in NE Florida. I've only shot at the 15-yard indoor range and 15 yards taxes my eyes with open sights.:D
I got a 2-7 variable P4 Sniper Scope that I need to sight in, and am wondering what the parallax is going to be like with it 2 inches higher than the centerline of the bore. I'll have to figure out where to shoot for about a 50-yard sighting in.

It had mil dots and instructions, but it was designed for the .223-type rifle/carbine. I like a "real" scope"... lower power, but I'll try the 2x. I usually get 1x4 or 1.5x5... something like that, but full-sized for pellet rifles. I haven't had a .22LR in a long time.

melissa5
04-06-2012, 10:21 AM
I should buy .22 in bulk like that.

Most of the 10-22's that I've seen have been scoped, but the ITAC cries out for a red dot. I'm thinking about buying a magnifier to use with it and my Daniel Defense AR since I have trouble seeing the little 400 yard sized targets at 25 yards.

Did you put an extended mag release on your 10-22?

Bill K
04-06-2012, 10:42 AM
Good luck!

You're really are into this gun stuff... That's cool.

melissa5
04-06-2012, 10:46 AM
Good luck!

You really are into this gun stuff... That's cool.

Thanks Bill! I used to be into computers, but I realized that guns are more fun. :)

wyntrout
04-06-2012, 12:25 PM
No... not yet... I did get a Red Buffer recoil/pin thingy to cut down on noise. The mag release sucks, though, as does the bolt locking... locked and unlocking. I'll probably want to add something to improve those two things... not costly.

I've been real busy... when I'm not on here and procrastinating. I have to install my new front door and get ready for a new roof... contractor coming over with the final papers now... and also schedule the Rhino Shield painting! I hope to have all of that done before the end of the month. We'll be pretty broke by then!

It's a good thing I won a little money on the lotto after all of the implants and dental work, travel for Thanksgiving and Christmas. It's almost enough for the roof and paint job... money we didn't have.

I want to go shoot something! I want to sight in my 10/22 and my pellet gun while I'm taking a chair to the range... not furnished!

wyntrout
04-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Bulk ammo in common calibers is supposed to be good for bartering when the paper stuff gets to be worthless... bullets and silver coins in small denominations... the poor man's gold.:)

.223 is supposed to be the best, but I don't have anything and really don't want anything that shoots .223.

Scoundrel
04-06-2012, 03:35 PM
My S&W M&P15-22 that I bought for .22 steel challenge matches shot the extractor out somewhere and I can't find it. So, S&W is sending a pre-paid shipping label to send the gun to them for free service. It seems that some of the early models had a problem with this.

Bummer! You said yours turned out to be used, right? Maybe an early model? Hope S&W gives it a good working over for you.

melissa5
04-07-2012, 03:18 PM
I just wanted to follow up about the .22 steel challenge match that I shot this morning. There were 4 courses of fire. We shot 4 strings of 5 rounds with a pistol (in my case a Glock 17 w/AA kit) and 4 strings of 5 rounds with a rifle (Ruger 10/22 ITAC). What a ton of fun that was. They don't give out individual score sheets so, I can't tell you how I did other than I didn't win, but I think I beat a few guys. I was the only lady present and I'll definitely be doing this again next month. :)

The Ruger 10/22 had one failure to extract. Other than that, it was great. I shot it with a Primary Arms Micro red dot and need to put some iron sights on it before next months match.

melissa5
04-07-2012, 03:20 PM
Bummer! You said yours turned out to be used, right? Maybe an early model? Hope S&W gives it a good working over for you.

Yeah, it was used. I think it is a 2010 model. I read on the S&W forum that people with type of problem gun are getting 2 free mags for their trouble.

Scoundrel
04-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Yeah, it was used. I think it is a 2010 model. I read on the S&W forum that people with type of problem gun are getting 2 free mags for their trouble.

Before I bought mine, I did a bunch of reading and was about to decide not to buy it because of the reported problems, until I noticed that all of the gripes were over a year old. After a certain date, they pretty much stopped. Then I found some references to how the earlier models had these issues, and that it had been fixed. I'm sure when yours comes back from S&W it will be a peach.

melissa5
04-08-2012, 10:41 AM
Before I bought mine, I did a bunch of reading and was about to decide not to buy it because of the reported problems, until I noticed that all of the gripes were over a year old. After a certain date, they pretty much stopped. Then I found some references to how the earlier models had these issues, and that it had been fixed. I'm sure when yours comes back from S&W it will be a peach.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

melissa5
04-09-2012, 07:24 AM
I've purchased a stainless steel 18.5" barrel with dovetails for iron sights and a set of Williams Fire sights for the 10/22. Those are fiber optic sights and I think they should be perfect for steel matches.

melissa5
04-10-2012, 07:51 PM
They posted the scores today and I'm just about in the middle of the pack. I hate being average. I was 9th out of 16 in the open division with a score of 103.38. The top score was 70 seconds.

JFootin
04-11-2012, 06:31 AM
Well, that's certainly a respectable score and ranking. And you are still a newb at it, so I'm sure you will improve! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2: