PDA

View Full Version : PM40 Frame Replacement = Kudos to Kahr CS

TucsonMTB
04-06-2012, 10:05 PM
A little more than four weeks ago Kahr sent me a prepaid label to return one of my PM40's that had developed a crack in the plastic frame extending upward from the mounting hole for the slide release lever through to the edge of that relatively thick area of the plastic frame. The crack is marked in the picture below with a piece of dental floss.

http://viewsfromtucson.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Jim-Freeman-PM40-Crack-Verified-inside-view-Cropped.jpg

Today, the repaired pistol (with a new serial number, of course) arrived at a local FFL. I picked it up and went straight to the range for a little test firing. Slightly more than 100 rounds of mixed ammo went down range with no malfunctions at all. This is a good thing!

It looks like Kahr reuses everything they can. My original trigger had a distinctive wear mark that is still present on the new gun and the action is just as smooth as the one it replaced. While racking the slide, it feels like it might have a new recoil assembly, but it's hard to be sure. The little slide lock spring is definitely new, lacking any of the wear marks on the old one. But, otherwise, only the plastic frame appears to be new.

The original slide lock pin is much tighter now than I remember the old frame being, even when it was new. I had to resort to hammering the end of the pin with my plastic screw driver handle as shown in the Kahr take down video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=G2cZgVg_SwA) to get the slide lock out to clean the gun after shooting!

Kahr included a new magazine with the repaired pistol, nicely offsetting the cost of FFL fees. The new magazine worked perfectly at the range today, without any of tweaks we are so fond of here. That was a surprise.

I am very impressed that the fit and finish of the new plastic frame appear to be perfect, even at the point where the rear of the frame lines up with the back of the slide. My magazines, old and new, all drop free. Life is good! :)

Joe L
04-07-2012, 05:10 AM
Glad Kahr made it right for you. I love the PM40, hand canon that it is!

Joe

JFootin
04-07-2012, 07:14 AM
That is good to hear! There was no mystery about what was needed to repair it and they handled it.

bonjorno2
04-07-2012, 07:33 AM
glad to hear they took care of you! I am still waiting for my local store to get my cm40 in.

JDSly
04-07-2012, 07:49 AM
Thanks for sharing that, TucsonMTB. I have the PM40 also, and now I'll know to check for that when I clean it.

CJB
04-07-2012, 08:30 AM
I got a complete lower (all new), complete upper - all new except for the barrel, which was original... and the slide stop, which was original.

I often thought that their actions - other than replacing the entire pistol - were a matter of internal accounting or politics, so they could say they didn't actually replace the whole pistol. Either way - I care not - as it shoots like buttah.

bonjorno2
04-07-2012, 08:36 AM
^^^ yeah probably!

TucsonMTB
04-07-2012, 02:26 PM
I got a complete lower (all new), complete upper - all new except for the barrel, which was original... and the slide stop, which was original.

I often thought that their actions - other than replacing the entire pistol - were a matter of internal accounting or politics, so they could say they didn't actually replace the whole pistol. Either way - I care not - as it shoots like buttah.
Yep! Mine was a good running PM40, even with the crack, so the less they replaced the better in my case. Shot a BUG match with it this morning. The pistol performed perfectly. The shooter was a little less reliable, maxing some stages and barely getting any points on others.

We even had a chance to fire two rounds through an automobile windshield, as part of one of the stages simulating the response to a carjacking. I used my regular carry ammo for that stage. The results were eye opening. Winchester Ranger .40 S&W 180 grain Bonded JHP passed through the windshield no noticeable deflection.

It was lots of fun to see everyone shoot their various choices of carry pistols. Everything was surprisingly effective, even .380 ACP (FMJ). Admittedly, the .380 was not a little tiny pocket pistol. Instead it was a full auto selectable SBR. After the stage we fired a couple of full auto bursts. Talk about making holes! :eek: