PDA

View Full Version : M&P 9 shield

melissa5
04-09-2012, 02:37 PM
I am really interested to hold one of these when they are finally available. Small, thin, single stack 9mm. :D

http://i.imgur.com/ynUUa.jpg

wlc
04-09-2012, 03:05 PM
Me too! I'm a big M&P fan. They look larger than a PM/CM 9 though. Do you know what the dimensions are?

melissa5
04-09-2012, 03:13 PM
I don't know anything about the gun.

S&W will be making an announcement about the new gun on April 12th.

The picture that I posted was leaked on another web site.

crazymailman
04-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Looks more along the size of a P/CW to me.

apheod
04-09-2012, 03:25 PM
very nice... i've been expanding the m&p family, just got a 9 pro and have a full size 45 on the way. this might be the next one...

voodoo54
04-09-2012, 03:33 PM
Looks like every body wants to copy Kahr these days, Kimber with their Solo line, M&P with the Shield. I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

melissa5
04-09-2012, 03:39 PM
OK, I just talked to a pretty reliable guy that went through the S&W armorers course and he said that the Shield will be modeled on the PPS.

jocko
04-09-2012, 04:48 PM
3 levers on the left side is 2 to many for me. But it looks nice.

melissa5
04-09-2012, 05:01 PM

OK...one looks like a safety and one looks like the slide release. What is the other one?

MLESa7990
04-09-2012, 05:12 PM
takedown lever

Bawanna
04-09-2012, 05:29 PM
I think there's just an extra lever in case California requires anything new, they got it covered in advance. I guess that thing in the back is a safety, can't think of anything else it could be. Take down, lever, slide lock and safety.

Wonder if there's any stuff on other side?

jocko
04-09-2012, 05:41 PM
oh I think ur right, I don;'t want a safety on my PM9, not that I would hate it but I like my PM9 the way it is, clean lines along the left side and with my contoured slide lock lever, any clutter is gone. One of those 3 has to be a safety great one and no doubt it willbe the back lever: Just sayin

yes on the right side is the mailing address and cost for a complete set of encyclopedias.

lowroad
04-09-2012, 08:23 PM
agree 100% with the first part of this.

kayl
04-10-2012, 08:16 AM
I'll be following this one closely- if it's a M&P the size of my CM9...bye bye CM9! Nothing wrong with the CM9, but I'd rather keep trigger pull consistent across different carry options :)

GadsdenGalt
04-10-2012, 09:19 AM
takedown lever

Yup, just like on every other m&p.

I loved my MK9 and Cw9 and there was a time when I was pretty much a Kahr spokesman. But an M&P9c has replaced it as my favorite carry gun. I have never had a malfunction with it and we have run thousands of rounds through a spare m&p without cleaning it just to see when it will stop working. A lifetime warranty is far better than 5 years and not having to fight with the company to have a problem resolved is great. I sent two emails to Kahr that were never responded to.

TheTman
04-10-2012, 10:45 AM
If it has the pro trigger on it, it should be pretty nice shooting pistol.

SpecK
04-10-2012, 11:28 AM
Looks like every body wants to copy Kahr these days, Kimber with their Solo line, M&P with the Shield. I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

I think Mr. Moon realized there was a very large market out there that wasn't being wooed. The others are just trying to play catch up.

Bill K
04-10-2012, 12:10 PM

+ 0.5

No thumb safeties for me on a carry gun. I could live with the other two levers. Really do like the Kahr design in this respect.

Cokeman
04-10-2012, 08:52 PM
I'll be following this one closely- if it's a M&P the size of my CM9...bye bye CM9! Nothing wrong with the CM9, but I'd rather keep trigger pull consistent across different carry options :)

It won't be.

melissa5
04-11-2012, 02:02 PM
Here are some of the leaked specs compared to a Kahr PM9. It's smaller than a Glock 36, shorter than a Glock 26, but a little bigger in height. I'm the first one on the waiting list at my LGS. :D

Leaked Specs ...

Width: 1"
Barrel Length: 3.1"
Overall Length: 6.1"
Overall Height: 4.6"
Weight: 18.5 oz.
Capacity: 7 or 8 rounds (9mm), 6 or 7 round (.40 S&W)

Kahr PM series specs:

Width: .9"
Barrel Length: 3.1"
Overall Length: 5.42"
Overall Height: 4"
Weight: 14 oz.
Capacity: 6 or 7 rounds (9mm), 5 or 6 round (.40 S&W)

Wolffire99
04-11-2012, 02:23 PM
Thank you Kahr for realizing trained shooters don't need an active safety and in most cases is a hindrance. No thank you. I'm sticking with my p9.

chrish
04-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Thank you Kahr for realizing trained shooters don't need an active safety and in most cases is a hindrance. No thank you. I'm sticking with my p9.

I don't think an UN-trained shooter needs a safety either. It's just something else to remember (or forget) and end up blowing your big toe off. I'll stick w/ my P9/TP9 as well :D

melissa5
04-11-2012, 03:05 PM
I don't intend to use the safety unless the Shield has a very 1911 like trigger and I don't anticipate that happening.

melissa5
04-12-2012, 12:02 PM
It's official now http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_809560_-1_780153_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y#

My LGS just called and I'll be picking up my Shield on Saturday. :D

Tinman507
04-12-2012, 03:31 PM
Thought everyone would find this interesting. S&W playing catch up

D1pu0CCkvak#!

Mattias44
04-12-2012, 03:35 PM
Safeties are for Commifornia.

tv_racin_fan
04-13-2012, 12:28 AM
I thought the safety was for Massachusettes...

http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-P9-w-External-Safety-and-LCI.asp

FireMoose
04-13-2012, 12:40 AM
-1 on buying first gen guns...

Kiehtan
04-13-2012, 03:57 AM
I thought the safety was for Massachusettes...

http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-P9-w-External-Safety-and-LCI.asp

I live in the peoples republic of Massachusetts and have a safety on my pm-9. Chamber loaded indicator too. The stupid safety laws are kind of funny. The guns themselves are not illegal to own, but it is illegal for an ffl ti transfer them. So like, if you owned one and moved inti the state' or inherited one from an out of state citizen, you can own one.

HDoc
04-13-2012, 06:36 AM
I live in the peoples republic of Massachusetts and have a safety on my pm-9. Chamber loaded indicator too. The stupid safety laws are kind of funny. The guns themselves are not illegal to own, but it is illegal for an ffl ti transfer them. So like, if you owned one and moved inti the state' or inherited one from an out of state citizen, you can own one.

Say, did Mitt have anything to do with that crap, or was it forced on him by the Mass politburo ? We are going to want to know what were his ideas, what predated him and what came from Boston.

Kiehtan
04-13-2012, 06:53 AM
Mitt signed no antigun laws while he was governor of MA, and kept in contact with GOAL (NRA's state affiliate) on firearms related issues while he was in office.

The only thing he did sign was an assault weapons bill that clarified languge in the ban that already existed. All it did was bring the state language defining an assault weapon in line with the federal language. The effect basically ensured that nothing could be banned that did not meet the federal definitions of an assault weapon.

HDoc
04-13-2012, 07:02 AM
Mitt signed no antigun laws while he was governor of MA, and kept in contact with GOAL (NRA's state affiliate) on firearms related issues while he was in office.

The only thing he did sign was an assault weapons bill that clarified languge in the ban that already existed. All it did was bring the state language defining an assault weapon in line with the federal language. The effect basically ensured that nothing could be banned that did not meet the federal definitions of an assault weapon.

I think that A LOT of people will be asking these questions soon.

Wolffire99
04-13-2012, 05:57 PM
I held and dry fired the shield at today's NRA show. Meh...nothing special. Feels better than the LC9 but not as good as my P9. Trigger was pretty bad, it felt heavier than the standard m&p. I might consider it if they have a safety-less model.

tv_racin_fan
04-13-2012, 10:43 PM

I understood what he signed made the ban a permanent ban whereas it was not before.

melissa5
04-14-2012, 01:37 PM
So, I picked up the gun this afternoon and shot 6 rounds over the back fence into the cow pasture. The trigger is not gritty and feels less than 6.5 lbs. I like it. It makes a distinct click when the trigger resets, but the reset is longer than on a Glock. The trigger is not a long as the PM9 trigger. First impression: I like it. Recoil is not bad at all. I thought the grip was a little slippery and needed some grip tape.

That is all until I have more time to shoot it on Monday or Tuesday.

joe d
04-14-2012, 01:45 PM
I own 2 m&p's now a 9c and a 45c...they're both awesome...safety schmaftey...I'll be buyin' one...

Barth
04-14-2012, 02:05 PM
I keep thinking about these single stack micro 9mms.
Then I take my MK40 Elite to the range.
Squeeze off some 1150 fps 155 gr Speer LE Duty GDHP ammo and smile.

I'm just saying...
https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/photos/photo42/7b/64/a84dcf2de627__1333820178000.jpeghttps://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/photos/photo42/c9/0e/f1171870797e__1333819622000.jpghttp://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/nebraskafirepower/picturefile011.jpghttp://www.gunsite.co.za/content/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/GoldDotAmmoBeautyShotweb.jpg

melissa5
04-14-2012, 02:27 PM
Here's a couple of pics comparing a Glock 26 and the Shield.

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/4270/dscn2527pf.jpg http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/3725/dscn2525c.jpg

Kiehtan
04-15-2012, 09:14 AM
I understood what he signed made the ban a permanent ban whereas it was not before.

Here's what the bill did:

Chapter 150 of the Acts of 2004: An Act Further Regulating Certain Weapons (http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/seslaw04/sl040150.htm)

This is a perfect example of don’t believe in titles. The bill was the greatest victory for gun owners since the passage of the gun control laws in 1998 (Chapter 180 of the Acts of 1998 (http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/seslaw98/sl980180.htm)). It was a reform bill totally supported by GOAL. Press and media stories around the country got it completely wrong when claimed the bill was an extension of the “assault weapon” ban that had sunset at the federal level. They could not have been more wrong. Unfortunately for the Governor, someone had also wrongly briefed him about the bill. As a result the Lt. Governor and the Governor made statements at the bill signing ceremony that angered GOAL members. The following is what the bill actually did:
1. Established the Firearm License Review Board (FLRB) (http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-130b.htm). The 1998 law created new criteria for disqualifying citizens for firearms licenses that included any misdemeanor punishable by more than two years even if no jail time was ever served.
For instance, a first conviction of operating a motor vehicle under the influence would result in the loss of your ability to own a handgun for life and long guns for a minimum of five years. This Board is now able to review cases under limited circumstances to restore licenses to individuals who meet certain criteria.
2. Mandated that a minimum of $50,000 of the licensing fees be used for the operation of the FLRB so that the Board would not cease operating under budget cuts.
3. Extended the term of the state’s firearm licenses from 4 years to 6 years.
4. Permanently attached the federal language concerning assault weapon exemptions in 18 USC 922 (http://trac.syr.edu/laws/18USC922.html) Appendix A to the Massachusetts assault weapons laws. This is the part that the media misrepresented.
In 1998 the Massachusetts legislature passed its own assault weapons ban (MGL Chapter 140, Section 131M (http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131m.htm)). This ban did not rely on the federal language and contained no sunset clause. Knowing that we did not have the votes in 2004 to get rid of the state law, we did not want to loose all of the federal exemptions that were not in the state law so this new bill was amended to include them.
5. Re-instated a 90 day grace period for citizens who were trying to renew their firearm license. Over the past years, the government agencies in charge had fallen months behind in renewing licenses. At one point it was taking upwards of a year to renew a license. Under Massachusetts law, a citizen cannot have a firearm or ammunition in their home with an expired license.
6. Mandated that law enforcement must issue a receipt for firearms that are confiscated due to an expired license. Prior to this law, no receipts were given for property confiscated which led to accusations of stolen or lost firearms after they were confiscated by police.
7. Gave free license renewal for law enforcement officers who applied through their employing agency.
8. Changed the size and style of a firearm license to that of a driver’s license so that it would fit in a normal wallet. The original license was 3” x 4”.
9. Created stiffer penalties for armed home invaders.

tv_racin_fan
04-15-2012, 05:46 PM
This according to who sir? I have heard different things and I would love some clarification.

steveschu
04-15-2012, 06:00 PM

I agree with that....too many levers and I do not like funky, multi piece triggers although the slide grip serrations are cool.

Ljutic
04-15-2012, 09:37 PM
I may have been tempted, but I'm holding off for the Sig 938. It could very well be my first Sig purchase.

pjholster
04-16-2012, 03:09 PM
I purchased a Shield on Saturday at Tanners in Jamison, PA. I mostly did it to get a jump on making holsters. I'm sure it will be popular so if anyone has been able to grab one and is looking for one of my simple holsters, I'm ready to build and ship them now.

Some comments. It's a little bigger than the CM9/PM9. Comfortable in my hand but definately not a pocket pistol. I'm using the template that I had for the LC9 to cut the kydex so its about that size. The controls on the left side are very low profile which I like for molding the kydex. They don't look like they will cause any hang points for drawing. Overall, the quality looks pretty good.

I haven't gotten to shoot it yet so I can comment on that yet.

Thanks,

Paul

melissa5
04-16-2012, 05:18 PM
I fired 100 rounds through mine today and am pleased with it. My only gripe is that the trigger could be a little lighter. It carries better IWB than my fat Glocks. Also, it fits in a few holsters that I have already. I'll probably carry it in my Remora. I'm still deciding on sights. You know I can't leave them stock.

Kiehtan
04-16-2012, 05:39 PM
This according to who sir? I have heard different things and I would love some clarification.

The Gun Owners Action League.

It's on their website, www.GOAL.org

bonjorno2
04-16-2012, 06:29 PM
I purchased a Shield on Saturday at Tanners in Jamison, PA. I mostly did it to get a jump on making holsters. I'm sure it will be popular so if anyone has been able to grab one and is looking for one of my simple holsters, I'm ready to build and ship them now.

Some comments. It's a little bigger than the CM9/PM9. Comfortable in my hand but definately not a pocket pistol. I'm using the template that I had for the LC9 to cut the kydex so its about that size. The controls on the left side are very low profile which I like for molding the kydex. They don't look like they will cause any hang points for drawing. Overall, the quality looks pretty good.

I haven't gotten to shoot it yet so I can comment on that yet.

Thanks,

Paul

hahah i guess i could of been more patient and waited for you to post here rather than glock talk! No doubt you'll be busy making holsters for there they are selling like hot cakes!

pjholster
04-16-2012, 07:29 PM
I imagine as the supply catches up I will get busy. I really like using the real gun for my molding. I guarantees a perfect fit. Some of the plastic molds are off. I had some problems with my early CM9 and PM9 holsters until I bought a CM9.

My guns all have a lot of holster wear and some have never even left the house. No worries though. That's what they are for.

Paul