PDA

View Full Version : Polygonal Rifling

roskee
04-11-2012, 02:37 AM
I understand it's not a good idea to feed non-jacketed lead bullets through barrels with polygonal rifling. Are non-jacketed lead bullets even being sold in shops?

If so, what are some examples of common non-jacketed lead bullets?

Sliebl
04-11-2012, 04:24 AM
I am not aware of any of the large ammunition manufacturers marketing lead (non-jacketed) bullets. Where you will run into a variety of lead bullets is if you reload your own bullets, or purchase remanufactured ammo (i.e. Ultramax, etc).

In the recent past, the local range that I belonged to required the use of lead projectiles, no jacketed rounds were allowed due to the nature of their backstop. At that time, I was purchasing remanufactured Ultramax 9mm rounds by the thousand from The Sportsman's Guide. All of these rounds were RNL-Round Nose Lead (or LRN depending on who types it). I never had any issues with those rounds fired from my Beretta 92FS, which does not have polygonal rifling (it was my only 9mm pistol at the time).

I have since started reloading, and have reloaded my share of lead bullets, as well as jacketed rounds that I have fired through all of my pistols, including the PM9. I also no longer belong to that range, so I'm not limited to shooting certain types of rounds.

Generally, the Kahr doesn't see hundreds of rounds through it per range trip, so the lead buildup in the rifling was minimal. I do clean my guns after each range trip.

I've since switched to all full metal jacketed rounds for my reloads, but that is mostly for my own convenience, and not due to any special rifling in one of my guns.

You will find this "lead or no-lead in polygonal rifling" discussion to be prevalent on the Glock forums since they use a similar rifling. It's like a Chevy vs Ford discussion, you have to decide which side of the fence you fall on.

chipD
04-11-2012, 04:34 AM
The only commercial handgun ammo I can think of that's not jacketed would be some .22 rounds and wadcutters.

jdavis
04-11-2012, 05:54 AM
I know that Winchester offers a lead non jacket .45ACP load since I was offered a box when shopping for ammo at a LGS recently. .38 Specials are cataloged by most manufacturers in round nose, semi wadcutter, and wadcutter designs. Older rounds such as .45LC and .32S&W are also available with lead bullets. I'm certain there are others as well as several rifle calibers.

WMD
04-11-2012, 07:01 AM
Roskee, It will say on the box if it is lead or jacketed ammo. Do yourself a favor.... only shoot jacketed ammo. I have seen cases of polygonal barrels leading up to dangerous levels in only a few shots. It really depends on what type of lead (hardcast or otherwise) is being used. In any case, not a good idea and not recommended in the owners manual. You may void your warranty if issues resulting from shooting lead. You can also hurt yourself! :eek:

Ken_K
04-11-2012, 07:17 AM
Like WMD said, it will say on the box if it's jacketed or not. I use coated 115gr fp lead bullets when loading for my G19 and CM9. They lead VERY little if at all in my G19 but that's not always the case. Unless your reloading and are able to work up a load for YOUR gun then I would stick to FMJ.

roskee
04-13-2012, 01:45 AM
Thanks guys. There certainly won't be any non-jacketed ammo fed through my polygonal barrels.

The reason I ask this question is because I've never seen it in stores. I guess I'm just more intrigued about sales aspect of it, especially in 9mm. I bet I've never seen any on the shelves because I live in a non-lead hunting zone.

muggsy
04-13-2012, 05:59 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygonal_rifling